Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32927 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Seeking Expert Guidance: GMAT Score Retake [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankur2346 wrote:
Dear All,

Thank you for taking time to read through this post. I am new to GMAT club and seek your advise/suggestion on retaking GMAT in 5 weeks time. I had been getting a consistent score of 720-740 in GMAT Prep, but very surprisingly got only 630 in my GMAT Exam last week ( Q49, V 27). I had even taken almost 30-35 mock CAT's before actual GMAT.

Here is a brief summary of my Enhanced Score Report:

1. Overall I did 28 correct and 13 incorrect questions in Verbal ( which does not seem to be too gad isnt?). However, I had a surprising very low percentile of 5 in CR, 46 in SC.
RC was good with 78 percentile.
2. The average difficulty of Verbal questions presented to me was Medium.
3. I completed all 41 questions, so no possibility of penalty.

I did feel tired in middle of verbal section and was getting distracted by keyboard noise. I am based out of London and did travel for around an hour to test center in time.
Appreciate your thoughts on how shall I prepare for Verbal for next 5 weeks or even build mental stamina to not feel drained in 4th hour of test.

Thanks in advance :idea:
Ankur

Hi

I had even taken almost 30-35 mock CAT's before actual GMAT.

This is not a good practice at all to take so many mocks you should take only 8 to 10 CATs

I did feel tired in middle of verbal section and was getting distracted by keyboard noise.

Now GMAC has been facilitating Test taker to select the order of test according to their choice
you should, while retaking the test, select order like first Verbal at second Quant and so on

Best Verbal Books are

Manhattan/Aristotle RC Guide
Manhattan SC guide
Manhattan/CR Reasoning Bible

1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice when completed all the
concepts learning and handsome practice Take full lenght CATs

Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis
trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know
your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best CATs

1. Official GMAC (50+50$) 2. Manhattan GMAT (49$) 3. GMAT Club Quant CATs (80$)
4. Veritas CATs (49$ but you can buy at 15-20$ During sale period)

Good Luck
Cheers :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Ankur,

I think you should focus on the verbal section. Taking another GMAT PREP course may help you solidify your concepts. In my opinion E-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live are both amazing courses that can really help you improve your scores.

However, given how close your GMAT date is, I personally do not think one should focus on too many different things on the final leg of their GMAT Preparation. It may be nice to give a couple of mocks (the official ones) and work on your weaknesses If you want to improve on any individual area such as Sentence Correction, you may subscribe to the individual SC course as you can finish the whole course in 10 days (with proper dedication). If however you are only looking to indentify and improve on your weak areas, I would encourage you to purchase the e-gmat scholaranium. It is without a doubt, one of the best practice tools for verbal and will indeed help you on the final leg of your preparations. Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
If you consistently scored 720 on GMATPrep tests, then your true level is around 720. That is, if you perform normally, you're going to score a 720, plus or minus 10-30 points because of luck/natural variance. It's only if you do not perform normally that your score should deviate further than that. And it sounds like that's what happened on your first test - you were tired in the Verbal section, and your performance was likely different from normal (from your ESR data, it sounds like you answered some easy CR questions incorrectly, which you clearly don't do under normal circumstances). If you'll be happy with a 720 score, that's probably the only thing you need to address for your next attempt - make sure you're still focused during the Verbal section. Take advantage of the section order feature so you can take the Verbal section earlier in the test, and you should do just fine. Unless your target is above a 720, you're well enough prepared now, though you might do a bit more CR practice just to be safe.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Thank you very much Janielle for your tips and guidance. I actually took around 15 full four hour mock CATs and was scoring between 690-730 consistently.Therefore, I was really surprised to see a score of 630. Quant has always been area of my strength, so was satisfied with score of 49. Let me maintain a more detailed error log- specially the one you shared and drill down each verbal topic. I think SC should be so strong that one should be able to solve a question with 60-75 seconds, thereby giving enough time to get correct answers for CR and RC. Would you agree?

QQ: I actually got 28 correct out of 41 questions. So looks like reason for my low score was getting tougher problems incorrect. So may be I shall do more intensive study. Instead of 4 hour, may be take test for 5 hours ( preparing like an athlete).Moreover, should take tests in different locations including coffee shop etc to build focus and develop ability to manage distractions. Any thoughts :?:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankur2346 wrote:
Thank you very much Janielle for your tips and guidance. I actually took around 15 full four hour mock CATs and was scoring between 690-730 consistently.Therefore, I was really surprised to see a score of 630. Quant has always been area of my strength, so was satisfied with score of 49. Let me maintain a more detailed error log- specially the one you shared and drill down each verbal topic. I think SC should be so strong that one should be able to solve a question with 60-75 seconds, thereby giving enough time to get correct answers for CR and RC. Would you agree?

QQ: I actually got 28 correct out of 41 questions. So looks like reason for my low score was getting tougher problems incorrect. So may be I shall do more intensive study. Instead of 4 hour, may be take test for 5 hours ( preparing like an athlete).Moreover, should take tests in different locations including coffee shop etc to build focus and develop ability to manage distractions. Any thoughts :?:

This sounds like a good plan. However make sure that you complete the test in the stipulated time and do not take more time. This will dilute the test preparation.
However, you can study for longer duration to help build stamina.

Also, make sure that the place that you chose for the test does not have a lot of disturbance.
All the best!
GMAT Club Bot