Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [5]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 424
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Re: In 1993, Egyptologists using a mechanized robot discovered a small doo [#permalink]
sahilmshah92 wrote:
I was stuck between Option (B) and Option (E), and finally selected Option (E) as I thought that since the event took place in the past, "had denied" is the right usage, but it is incorrect.

Could someone please help explain how is Option (B) the correct answer?

P.S: Is it because the last part of the sentence focuses on the present and that is why the Present perfect tense should be used?

The answer is B because the denial should be in present perfect as the denial is up to the current date.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Send PM
Re: In 1993, Egyptologists using a mechanized robot discovered a small doo [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you so much for the quick response guys!

I'm glad I came across this question because it made me realize that I have not understood something fundamental in Past Perfect and Present Perfect tense.

So I googled the 2 tenses and from my current understanding, I'd just like to confirm what I just learned.

Am I right to say that in the above question, the answer choice should be in Present perfect because of the "time-clue" that refers to the present, i.e. brings the relevance of a past action to the present? And the time-clue being, "we may never know what secrets the Great Pyramid still holds."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
sahilmshah92 wrote:
In 1993, Egyptologists using a mechanized robot discovered a small door in the Great Pyramid that are believed to lead to a series of tunnels under the pyramid: however, the Egyptian government has denied the archaeologists' request to open the door so we may never know what secrets the Great Pyramid still holds.

A. are believed to lead to a series of tunnels under the pyramid; however, the Egyptian government has denied
B. is believed to lead to a series of tunnels under the pyramid; however, the Egyptian government has denied
C. are believed to lead to a series of tunnels under the pyramid; however, the Egyptian government was denied
D. are believed to lead to a series of tunnels under the pyramid; however, the Egyptian government had denied
E. is believed to lead to a series of tunnels under the pyramid; however, the Egyptian government had denied

that refers to a small door. Therefore are is incorrect and we can eliminate A, C and D.

Between B and E, there is only a difference of present perfect and past perfect.
Past perfect: we use it for two related events one after the other. the earlier event we use had and followed by simple past tense. We can not see two related events here.
Present perfect: we use it for continuing action/ continuing effect/ indefinite time. In this the effect is still there. The govt has denied and still we are not able to open the door. So use of present perfect is correct.

B is correct
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts