Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [16]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1298 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1298 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Set X consists of at least 2 members and is a set of consecutive odd i [#permalink]
HisHo wrote:
PKN wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
Set X consists of at least 2 members and is a set of consecutive odd integers with an average (arithmetic mean) of 37.
Set Y consists of at least 10 members and is also a set of consecutive odd integers with an average (arithmetic mean) of 37.
Set Z consists of all of the members of both set X and set Y.

Which of the following statements must be true?

I. The standard deviation of set Z is not equal to the standard deviation of set X.
II. The standard deviation of set Z is equal to the standard deviation of set Y.
III. The average (arithmetic mean) of set Z is 37.

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and III
E) II and III

Set X:-

#elements=2n+1, where \(n\geq{1}\) (since set X contains consecutive odd integers with mean as an odd integer)

Since 37 is the mean, hence set X contains odd numbers of elements with at least 37 as one of the member.

Set Y:-

#elements=2n+1, where \(n\geq{5}\)
Since 37 is the mean, hence set Y contains odd numbers of elements with at least 37 as one of the member.

Set Z:-

Z=X U Y

Now let's evaluate each statement:-

I. SD of set Z will be same as SD of set X when set X and set Y are equal. In all other cases, SD of Z will be different from SD of X. Hence this statement is not true.
II.SD of set Z will be same as SD of set Y when set X and set Y are equal. In all other cases, SD of Z will be different from SD of Y. Hence this statement is not true.
Note:- 2 sets equally spaced , there SD depend on #elements they possess. Greater the no of elements in the set, greater is the SD.
III. Here there are 3 cases, viz,
1. Set Z=Set X=Set Y
2. Set Z= Set X or Set Y
3. Set Z= Set X and Set Y
In the above cases, since both Set X and Y have mean 37. Hence, set Z will always has a mean of 37. hence this statement is correct.

Answer Option. C

PKN
The Q says that "Set Z consists of all of the members of both set X and set Y". Nothing mentioned here that no repeated members in set Z. So I thought if X =Y, then Z should equals 2X equals 2Y, then statement 2 should be true. Isn't it?

Hi HisHo,

First of all, please notice that the question stem is a "MUST BE TRUE". In these type of questions, you need to validate the data at all possible circumstances.

You have found out one possible case where (II) is valid. But there are many cases as highlighted in the explanation where (II) is not valid( When set X and Y are not equal).
Hope it helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Set X consists of at least 2 members and is a set of consecutive odd i [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
Set X consists of at least 2 members and is a set of consecutive odd integers with an average (arithmetic mean) of 37.
Set Y consists of at least 10 members and is also a set of consecutive odd integers with an average (arithmetic mean) of 37.
Set Z consists of all of the members of both set X and set Y.

Which of the following statements must be true?

I. The standard deviation of set Z is not equal to the standard deviation of set X.
II. The standard deviation of set Z is equal to the standard deviation of set Y.
III. The average (arithmetic mean) of set Z is 37.

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and III
E) II and III

Not a precise definition of SD, but close enough for the GMAT:
SD = average distance from the mean.

The prompt indicates that X and Y are each composed of consecutive odd integers.
They have the SAME MEAN but could have the SAME NUMBER of terms or a DIFFERENT NUMBER of terms.

Consider an easy case in which X and Y have the same mean and the SAME number of terms:
X = 1, 3, 5
Y = 1, 3, 5
Z = 1, 1, 3, 3, 5, 5
In this case, the average distance from the mean in Z is equal to the average distance from the mean in X, implying that the two sets have the same SD.
The case above illustrates the following:
If X and Y have the same number of terms, then Z and X will have the same SD.
Since Statement I does not have to be true, eliminate A and D.

Consider an easy case in which X and Y have the same mean but a DIFFERENT number of terms:
X = 1, 3, 5, 7, 9
Y = 3, 5, 7
Z = 1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7, 9
In this case, the values in Z deviate more from the mean than do the values in Y, implying that the two sets do NOT have the same SD.
The case above illustrates the following:
If X and Y have a DIFFERENT number of terms, then Z and Y will NOT have the same SD.
Since Statement II does not have to be true, eliminate B and E.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Set X consists of at least 2 members and is a set of consecutive odd i [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Set X consists of at least 2 members and is a set of consecutive odd i [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
92929 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts