Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: IIMB EPGP'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Should I Cancel My GMAT Score? [#permalink]
Hi ScottTargetTestPrep,

I have given my GMAT and received 640 Q50 V26 IR2. I had selected 5 schools in the beginning.
I am not sure whether giving the GMAT again without cancelling my score will harm my chances. Also, will the University be able to see both my scores.
Please share your thoughts on the same. Thanks!

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:

Should I Cancel My GMAT Score?

Many test-takers wonder whether it’s a good idea to cancel GMAT scores. In fact, you may have seen stories online of test-takers with all sorts of scores wondering whether business schools will look more favorably on their applications if they keep or cancel certain scores.

Whether your GMAT score is considered “good” or “bad,” depending on your situation, it may be a wise strategy to cancel your score. So, how do you know when to cancel a GMAT score and when to keep one? And what if you want to reinstate your score after you’ve canceled it?

In this article, we’ll look at how and when to cancel GMAT scores, some important GMAT score cancellation rules, and some real-world scenarios you may face when deciding whether to keep or cancel your score.

First, let’s review your options for canceling GMAT scores and what the process is.

How to Cancel Your GMAT Score

Test-takers have two options if they want to cancel GMAT scores: they can either cancel a score at the test center on test day or cancel within 72 hours after the test appointment. Let’s explore both of these processes.

On Test Day

When you are at a test center, immediately upon completion of your GMAT, you will see your Unofficial Score Report on the computer screen. This report will contain your Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning section scores and your Total Score, as well as the percentile rankings associated with each of those scores. (Since the Analytical Writing Assessment is not scored by the computer, you will not see that score until you receive your Official Score Report.)

The computer will give you 2 minutes to decide whether to accept or cancel your scores for that exam. If you don’t make a selection within the 2-minute window, the computer will automatically cancel your scores.

So, it’s essential that you have not only a score goal but also a score threshold in mind before you sit for your GMAT. Your score threshold is the minimum GMAT score you’re willing to let schools see. Research the average scores at your target schools and set thresholds for your section scores as well as your Total Score.

If you elect to cancel your GMAT score, the good news is, you won’t have to pay a fee for doing so. Canceling your score at the test center right after you finish your exam is free, regardless of what country you’re in.

When you cancel your score at the test center, you do not receive a printout of your unofficial score report, and of course, your canceled score does not show up on your Official Score Report and thus is not visible to any schools you send GMAT scores to. In fact, schools will have no indication that you even sat for the exam associated with your canceled score. As far as schools know, the only GMATs you’ve taken are the ones that appear on the Official Score Report they receive.

After Test Day

Test-takers also have the option to cancel a GMAT score after they leave the test center, as long as they cancel the score within 72 hours of the start time of their exam. So, for instance, if you took the GMAT at noon on a Tuesday, you need to cancel that exam score before noon on Friday.

To cancel your GMAT score after you leave the test center, simply log onto your mba.com account. Keep in mind that the option to cancel your score may take up to 24 hours to appear in your account, depending on where your test center is located. So, don’t panic if you log into your account an hour after your exam and are unable to cancel your score yet.

Canceling your score online after your exam costs $25, but for some test-takers, having the flexibility to cancel later is worth the added cash. If, for instance, you don’t have a cancellation strategy in place, or for some reason you start to doubt your strategy, canceling online later is a good fallback.

Keep in mind that if you purchase an Additional Score Report within the 72-hour cancellation window after your exam, you will no longer have the option to cancel your score online for that exam. So, as you can see, there are many reasons to have a solid score cancellation plan in place before you sit for your GMAT!

If You Took the GMAT Online

So far, we’ve discussed how to cancel your GMAT score when you’ve taken the GMAT at a test center. But what if you take the GMAT at home instead? Well, canceling a score from a GMAT Online exam is not permitted — but don’t panic just yet. There are a couple of reasons why it doesn’t matter that you’re not allowed to cancel GMAT Online scores.

For one, the Official Score Report for the GMAT Online is kept separate from the Official Score Report for any GMATs you take at a test center. So, let’s say you took the GMAT once at a test center and once at home, and your score on the exam at the test center was significantly higher than the score from your online test. You have the option to send only your score from the GMAT you took at the test center, and schools will never even know that you took the online test as well. Likewise, if your GMAT Online score was the higher of the two, you can choose to send just that score, and schools won’t see your score from the test center or know you sat for another GMAT.

Another reason you don’t have to worry about not being able to cancel your GMAT Online score is that if you retake the GMAT Online, you can pick which scores you send from your online tests. So, let’s say you take the GMAT Online twice (the maximum number of times you can take the online test). In that case, you can choose to send just the score from your first online attempt, just the score from your online retake, or your scores from both online attempts. So, although you can’t cancel a GMAT Online score, you have full control over which scores (if any) you send.

Now that we’ve reviewed how and when you can cancel your score, let’s talk about how to reinstate your score.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 425
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Should I Cancel My GMAT Score? [#permalink]
Kudos
IGIG wrote:
Hi ScottTargetTestPrep,

I have given my GMAT and received 640 Q50 V26 IR2. I had selected 5 schools in the beginning.
I am not sure whether giving the GMAT again without cancelling my score will harm my chances. Also, will the University be able to see both my scores.
Please share your thoughts on the same. Thanks!

The GMAT scorecard sent to universities will include scores for all attempts made within the last 5 years. The scorecard will have your scores represented in tabular form, and each row will contain information about an attempt. Cancelled attempts will appear as empty rows in the scorecard that is provided to you, but the scorecard sent to schools will not have any trace of a cancelled attempt. Should you choose to cancel your scores, remember you can always have them reinstated, provided you do so within 4 years and 11 months.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
hi, on the GMAT official report that is sent to school, number of attempts that is cancelled is also included, will this affect badly on the applicant? I just knew this, I thought schools would not have visibility on the number of attempts cancelled
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 425
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
hellothere88 wrote:
hi, on the GMAT official report that is sent to school, number of attempts that is cancelled is also included

Hi,
This is not the case. Schools will have no indication of a cancelled attempt or number of cancelled attempts. Perhaps you're referring to the score report you downloaded from your mba.com account. That report will show you all your attempts, but the report sent to the schools doesn't have any cancelled test data.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShreyasJavahar wrote:
hellothere88 wrote:
hi, on the GMAT official report that is sent to school, number of attempts that is cancelled is also included

Hi,
This is not the case. Schools will have no indication of a cancelled attempt or number of cancelled attempts. Perhaps you're referring to the score report you downloaded from your mba.com account. That report will show you all your attempts, but the report sent to the schools doesn't have any cancelled test data.

Correct. Canceled scores from test centers are not visible to business schools.
There is no cancelation process for online gmat scores since you report those one by one and don't need to cancel them actually. (Reminder: online tests do not show up on the physical test score reports and vice versa)
GMAT Club Bot