Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Should I postpone my GMAT? [#permalink]
Kudos
arnabsuave wrote:
Hi All,

I have my GMAT scheduled in Mid June.

I wrote the Kaplan free mock test recently and scored 700(V37 and Q49). This is also my first full length mock test. Started the test pretty late around 11:30 PM, so I don't know if the score could have been better.

I have very recently(20 days) moved to a new country, to a completely new role(same company) and I am currently living out of a hotel. Will need to find and rent an apartment for myself in the next couple of weeks and manage new expectations at job too. On average I can study 1.5-2 hours on weekdays and 5-6 hours on weekends. My target GMAT score is 740.

I have the following questions:
1. How accurate are the Kaplan mock test estimates ?
2. Is an improvement of 40 points feasible in less than a month? Given my current circumstances should I postpone my GMAT date by a month?

Hi arnabsuave ,
Based on the circumstances, I think you should postpone your exam by a month. Given the extra time, you can easily improve to 740.

1. Kaplan mock tests are not that good. You should stick to GMAT Prep practice tests - there are 6 of them. Also, the best test prep company tests are MGMAT and Veritas.
2. Improvement of 40 points is possible in less than a month. But since you have a fair bit of uncertainty in your life, you should postpone the GMAT .
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Should I postpone my GMAT? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'd also recommend postponing the test. Stress has a huge effect on your ability to perform in situations like the GMAT. Even if you don't feel stressed out, your body and mind still know that you're under stress and won't perform to their maximum ability. Take the time you need to get everything else in order, then focus on the GMAT.

However, if you aren't sure, take a GMATPrep practice test sometime soon! Don't start it late at night - try to do it exactly how you'd do the official test (take your breaks at the right times and for the right lengths, take it in a quiet place with no interruptions, don't drink/snack while taking the test). See what happens. There's a chance you're already at the 740 level...
GMAT Club Bot
Should I postpone my GMAT? [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts