Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:35 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [2]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Should I Attempt GMAT Focus Instead of Retaking the Old GMAT? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Nikhilayug,

To start, a 660/Q50 is a solid Official GMAT Score - so it might be enough to get you into your first choice School. There's certainly no harm in retesting - and you're actually closer to a 700+ Score than you probably realize. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) On what date did you take your prior Official GMAT? Did you take it just once or were there multiple attempts?
2) How long have you studied in total? How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
4) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Nikhilayug,

To start, a 660/Q50 is a solid Official GMAT Score - so it might be enough to get you into your first choice School. There's certainly no harm in retesting - and you're actually closer to a 700+ Score than you probably realize. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) On what date did you take your prior Official GMAT? Did you take it just once or were there multiple attempts?
2) How long have you studied in total? How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
4) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Hello,
Thank you for your response. Please find the answers attached.
Aug 29, 2023. I took only 1 attempt.
Studied for close to a month with mocks every 3-4 days.
Took Experts Global 2-month subscription and their 15 Mocks.
I can't specifically mention the dates but was scored 700(50Q, 35V) on average in Expert's global mocks, and 640(48Q, 28V) in gmatprep mock 1, 710 (50Q, 36V) in gmatprep mock 2.
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to
ISB is my first priority and also considering a few schools in the US top 10 - top 15 range.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nikhilayug,

Since you are interested in applying to some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to act on that advice, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you studied for just one month, then it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort to score higher yet. In addition, a CAT/mock is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically should not take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Going forward, you really should not take more than 1 FULL CAT per week. You took took many CATs for the timeframe that you studied - and may have inadvertently 'burned out' a bit before your Exam. If you were also "cramming" your studies (re: more then 30 hours a week of study), then that would have also likely increased your chances of burning out.

With a V31, you likely lost significant points in at least 2 of the 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR) - so you likely would need to work on more than just your SC skills during this next phase of your studies. The data in your ESR would likely help to define any additional issues in terms of how you approached the Exam.

1) What specific application deadline(s) are you facing?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nikhilayug,

Considering you studied for only a month, I'd stick with the current version of the GMAT, and really spend some time learning SC. With that in mind, here is a great article you can check out:

GMAT Sentence Correction: 15 Essential Tips
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nikhilayug wrote:
Hello,

I achieved a score of 660 (50Q, 31V, 6IR) on the previous version of the GMAT. I identified Critical Reasoning (CR) as my weakest area and dedicated one month to improving it. As a non-native English speaker, I also struggle a lot with Sentence Correction (SC) .

Today, I took the first official mock test of the new GMAT Focus edition and scored 625 (83rd percentile) with an 86th percentile in DI, a 71st percentile in Quant (where I believe I can improve), and a 79th percentile in Verbal. I am aiming to apply to schools that require a minimum of a 90th percentile score (700+ on the old GMAT).

With Round 2 deadlines rapidly approaching, I find myself in a dilemma. Should I invest more time in improving my SC skills and attempt the old GMAT again, or should I go with the new GMAT Focus edition? I would greatly appreciate your advice on this matter.

Thank you!

Hello Nikhil,

If you've made significant improvements in the CR section and are still facing challenges in SC, it might be best to consider the new focus edition. Your previous GMAT score indicates that your quant skills are strong, but your verbal score needs improvement. If your verbal score was negatively affected by a low accuracy rate in SC (which can be verified through the ESR), then opting for the focus edition would be the wise choice. The limited amount of time available suggests that your score could potentially reach the 90th percentile in the focus edition, assuming that SC is the primary concern, and you are applying to schools that accept this version in the current application cycle.

I have coached candidates who were struggling with SC and had lost confidence, but they are now feeling more positive about preparing for the focus edition, especially since it doesn't include SC. As Ajitesh also mentioned, for some candidates, SC is the easiest section to tackle in verbal, and you can make quick progress in this area. However, for others, it can be the most challenging. I hope this information helps.

All the best!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Take the test you can the best on…. That’s a better practice score.

With GMAT focus you can leverage quant for more question and a bigger portion of the score since DI is still heavily quant-based. Verbal is only 1/3 of the score and if you can plug your CR hole and do OK on the RC, a 700+ (whatever the heck that is in the new numbers) should be in your grasp.

So I would take the new one….

Nikhilayug wrote:
Hello,

I achieved a score of 660 (50Q, 31V, 6IR) on the previous version of the GMAT. I identified Critical Reasoning (CR) as my weakest area and dedicated one month to improving it. As a non-native English speaker, I also struggle a lot with Sentence Correction (SC) .

Today, I took the first official mock test of the new GMAT Focus edition and scored 625 (83rd percentile) with an 86th percentile in DI, a 71st percentile in Quant (where I believe I can improve), and a 79th percentile in Verbal. I am aiming to apply to schools that require a minimum of a 90th percentile score (700+ on the old GMAT).

With Round 2 deadlines rapidly approaching, I find myself in a dilemma. Should I invest more time in improving my SC skills and attempt the old GMAT again, or should I go with the new GMAT Focus edition? I would greatly appreciate your advice on this matter.

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot