Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 01:16 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Booth '15
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
eskimoroll wrote:
So you're currently in a masters program and you are planning to immediately enter another masters program upon graduation? You're going to get the obvious question of why do you need an MBA to accomplish your goals and if so, why did you go into the MS program?

Hi Eskimoroll,

I entered the MS program to accomplish two things:

1. Enhance my technical skills for my current job
2. To build an alternative transcript

I am a big picture thinker and would like the MBA to have the total business skill set.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
eskimoroll wrote:
SlumDogEngineer wrote:
eskimoroll wrote:
So you're currently in a masters program and you are planning to immediately enter another masters program upon graduation? You're going to get the obvious question of why do you need an MBA to accomplish your goals and if so, why did you go into the MS program?

Hi Eskimoroll,

I entered the MS program to accomplish two things:

1. Enhance my technical skills for my current job
2. To build an alternative transcript

I am a big picture thinker and would like the MBA to have the total business skill set.

Are you working and attending school part-time? If so, that's not too bad. For someone with your work experience, your leadership stuff as an undergrad probably won't be as useful to you as your more current leadership experiences. Your stats look fine and assuming you have a decent GMAT score and can tell your story, you are within the range of the average applicants at those schools. I do think there is risk that you may come off as a professional student so you will have to be fairly explicit at showing that you are not simply collecting degrees but rather have a real practical reason why you need those degrees. You're getting a really great early start if you are aiming for the class of 2015.

Thanks Eskimoroll, I am going to school part time while working full time. The MS that I am getting does have to do with my current job, but ultimately I would like to do consulting/corporate strategy.

Do you think my community service is good enough of an activity to show leadership? I do not anticipate having anyone work under me in the next two years. I do dedicate my time to it and take the time to grow the teenagers that I am responsible for, but it just doesn't sound as professional as leadership at work.

I am flattered that you said that I am within range pending my GMAT. Thanks for the advice in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
SlumDogEngineer wrote:

Thanks Eskimoroll, I am going to school part time while working full time. The MS that I am getting does have to do with my current job, but ultimately I would like to do consulting/corporate strategy.

Do you think my community service is good enough of an activity to show leadership? I do not anticipate having anyone work under me in the next two years. I do dedicate my time to it and take the time to grow the teenagers that I am responsible for, but it just doesn't sound as professional as leadership at work.

I am flattered that you said that I am within range pending my GMAT. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Cool, since you're working part-time, you have a much stronger story. As for your community service, it's fine if you're passionate about it. Regarding leadership at work, you better be showing leadership at work and have plenty of examples to back it up! While I'm currently a manager of people, my strongest leadership stories I had were when I wasn't a manager and head to lead by influencing an organization. Remember, these schools aren't looking for titles, but rather they are looking for leaders who make a difference in organizations be it professional, social, or extracurricular.
GMAT Club Bot