Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: So many questions, so little time [#permalink]
aaron22197 wrote:
I think you should spend some time reviewing your weak areas and spend maybe a few minutes everyday to strengthen these areas. Since your exam is abt 20 days away, I also suggest learn and practice to make educated guesses when you feel the solution to a question is time consuming. You mentioned that you cud complete only 25-27 Q's. The last 10 questions might have been pertaining to your strengths which cud have helped you boost your score.

Remember that GMAT will throw time consuming difficult questions at you. If you cannot diagram/write equations for it within the first minute, you are likely to get it wrong and also waste 3-4 mins. So, make an educated guess and move on.

Like I mentioned earlier, Reviewing is very IMPORTANT. Take time to identify your weak areas and allocate some time for it everyday. This can work wonders.

Don't just practice practice practice....

I suggest practice ...review ...practice ...review and practice...review

some of the posts here have mentioned that 800 Quant is much tougher than the real GMAT.

Thank you for the post. Yes, I don't often let go of a question. I do get stuck in questions for over 3 minutes, and on top of it sometimes get it wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Good suggestion aaron!. +1

nirimblf - Thats exactly what I'm doing. I practice and then I review what I practiced. Have you considered OG 11? Give it a try. If you can't complete all the problems try at least the last 1/3rd of them in each section. I'm also having the problem of getting only till like 27 questions on practice tests. I'm planning to improve my math skills in the next month or so.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I did 2 more 800score tests. Q only. Last two were Q39 and Q47.

Today I did a full Manhattan GMAT test. Got Q40 V39. Again I managed to complete only 27 questions before quickly guessing all the rest in the last 1 minute or so.

I spent over 4 minutes each on 6 different questions (the longest was 4:50 minutes!), and got 2 of them wrong.

I feel bad if I skip a question, like I failed it or something, so I don't give up until it is too late and probably miss the ones I can more easily solve. The only time I got a really good grade in Q (last 800score test in which I got Q47) was the time I allowed myself to skip more questions. However I suspect their algorithm is not really realistic.

---

I would like to ask about your experience with the Manhattan tests. How do you find them in relation to the real GMAT?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [0]
Send PM
My suggestion is take a GMATPREP and that will determine where you are in quant. Majority of the ppl who take MGMAT quant find the questions unreasonably time consuming. You will find a lot of posts that share the same view. GMAT gets the better of you if you spend too much time on a question. when you are doing well, GMAT wants to throw a time consuming question to slow you down. You just need to guess and move on.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aaron22197 wrote:
My suggestion is take a GMATPREP and that will determine where you are in quant. Majority of the ppl who take MGMAT quant find the questions unreasonably time consuming. You will find a lot of posts that share the same view. GMAT gets the better of you if you spend too much time on a question. when you are doing well, GMAT wants to throw a time consuming question to slow you down. You just need to guess and move on.

Yesh, I will take them again. You know, I reveiwed my answers to the last test, and I found that at least 5 wrong answers were stupid mistakes - just not reading the question carefully enough, or skipping a trivial detail. When trying to solve them again I get them right. In one question I knew the right answer but clicked another one, I was so obsessed about moving to the next one quickly... I noticed that one immediately when I clicked it. So my lesson here is to do the questions quickly, but not to rush it to the extent of missing important details and getting it all wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
My advice would be to practice as quickly as possible. GMATFocus was really good for me on this because I found the questions very difficult and I think you actually get less time per question. As I tried to increase my speed. I really found out which questions were giving me the biggest fits. By the time I did my final run through, I had reached that perfect mix speed, thoroughness, and, most importantly, knowing which questions were not worth my time. You also get a pretty comprehensive breakdown of strengths and weaknesses and time spent on each question. In my opinion, no verbal question is worth more than two minutes; if you don't get it, you don't get it. Save the time for reading the RC sections thoroughly.

For me, skipping questions (by making 20-30 second educated guesses) was hard at first. I felt like I was taking the training wheels off the bike. It was just counterintuitive, like leaning into a turn or pressing down to make the jet go up in the Top Gun NES game. So the most important thing is to practice. Once you've used this strategy, you should see your scores go up. Do it enough, and you'll be able to shake that feeling that it's "wrong" to skip a question. By the time I strolled into that testing center, I was cool, calm, and collected for pretty much the whole test, and finished both sections with time to spare. Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
McDargoiowkel wrote:
My advice would be to practice as quickly as possible. GMATFocus was really good for me on this because I found the questions very difficult and I think you actually get less time per question. As I tried to increase my speed. I really found out which questions were giving me the biggest fits. By the time I did my final run through, I had reached that perfect mix speed, thoroughness, and, most importantly, knowing which questions were not worth my time. You also get a pretty comprehensive breakdown of strengths and weaknesses and time spent on each question. In my opinion, no verbal question is worth more than two minutes; if you don't get it, you don't get it. Save the time for reading the RC sections thoroughly.

For me, skipping questions (by making 20-30 second educated guesses) was hard at first. I felt like I was taking the training wheels off the bike. It was just counterintuitive, like leaning into a turn or pressing down to make the jet go up in the Top Gun NES game. So the most important thing is to practice. Once you've used this strategy, you should see your scores go up. Do it enough, and you'll be able to shake that feeling that it's "wrong" to skip a question. By the time I strolled into that testing center, I was cool, calm, and collected for pretty much the whole test, and finished both sections with time to spare. Hope that helps.

Thanks, McDargoiowkel. I just did another Manhattan GMAT, Quantitative section only, and got 48! The best I got so far! I guessed every question that I didn't have a clear idea how to solve in say 30 seconds after reading it, and the last two for which I didn't have enough time.

So overall, I can say:
- I get between 34 and 44 when I insist on trying to solve the harder questions and spend too much time there.
- I get between 47 and 48 when I allow myself to skip hard questions. It doesn't feel "ok" just yet (and I did take my time on one question, and got it wrong), but I make myself do it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OK, July 21 is tomorrow, I will take the test on 12:15.

I have some questions about formalities and about last preparations.

Formalities:
- The break between Q and V is 10 minutes, right?
- If we cannot keep anything with us during the exam, not even a bottle of water, how do I get to it during the break? Do they keep lockers there or what?
- I found that after the Q part I am exhauseted and have difficulties to concentrate in reading all those RC in the V part. Do you recommend having a snack or something between those parts?

Last preparations:
- I thought about writing down some points to remember (in geometry, number properties, combinatorics, etc). Maybe review some questions. Not sure about retaking one of the GMATPrep today or not. Don't want to be exhausted when I get there but don't want to spend some valuable minutes adjusting to the test.
- Any last tips?

I will appreciate any feedbacks. My focus is on the Q part, since V part accounts for only 5% of the score in the university I want to apply to, and 0% in my other choices. None care for AWA.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts