Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 8.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 725 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Some manufacturers of computer software have proposed [#permalink]
IMO C as well and the reason for chosing C is very similar to as explained above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 8.4
Send PM
Kudos
My reason for writing "odd reasoning" was that we are talking about printed instruction manuals for the programs. How would printing the manual deter software piracy?? The software is as vulnerable as ever before no matter we have printed Instruction manuals or soft copies.
Hope am not missing on somethin too simple! :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
I think ans is C.
We need to find reasons to backup the paper printed copies.
C best describes the answer choice

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can anyone explain how piracy affects costs? I get that piracy affects profits, but doesn't the question literally state that the plan is to cut costs? I'm pretty sure I've seen similar questions that differentiate between costs and profits.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
RohitKalla wrote:
Some manufacturers of computer software have proposed cutting costs by distributing instruction manuals for their programs on computer disk only, so that computer users can refer to them on a computer screen rather than having to deal with unwieldy printed manuals that are costly for manufacturers to produce.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best reason against adopting the proposal described above?

(A) Most computer users are just as comfortable using instructions on a computer screen as they are using printed manuals. - Irrelevant Comparison
(B) Although instructions on a computer disk can be printed out cheaply using a computer printer, such printouts are less convenient to use than instructions displayed on a computer screen. - Irrelevant Comparison
(C) Because they are expensive and inconvenient to copy, printed instruction manuals provide one of the best deterrents against the illegal copying of software, which costs manufacturers enormous profits.
(D) Instructions supplied on a computer disk are more appropriate for business and educational programs than for computer games and other entertainment software. - Irrelevant Comparison
(E) Instructions supplied on a computer disk can be designed to provide more extensive and more easily utilized cross-references than those provided by printed manuals. - Irrelevant Comparison
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Some manufacturers of computer software have proposed [#permalink]
Goal- Cutting Costs
Problem- Printed manuals are costly to produce.
Plan- Distribute instruction manuals(softcopy) for their programs on comp disk. Users can refer to manuals on a computer screen.

Gap- What if users cannot open software without reading manuals. I mean what if users don't even get to know how to get to software manuals.

Hello nightblade354 - How soft copy of manual may lead to illegal copying of software ?
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
AliciaSierra wrote:
Goal- Cutting Costs
Problem- Printed manuals are costly to produce.
Plan- Distribute instruction manuals(softcopy) for their programs on comp disk. Users can refer to manuals on a computer screen.

Gap- What if users cannot open software without reading manuals. I mean what if users don't even get to know how to get to software manuals.

Hello nightblade354 - How soft copy of manual may lead to illegal copying of software ?

Hi AliciaSierra,

I think you misread the question. It has says that the hard copies are expensive, but we want to justify keeping them. In this case, we are told that hard copies are very "hard" to copy, thus saving the company money. How it is inconvenient to copy is something we do not care about. All we need to know is that we are given a good reason not to transition over to a CD.

Does this help?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
nightblade354,

I am sorry, I may need little more help here.

Some manufacturers of computer software have proposed cutting costs by distributing instruction manuals for their programs on computer disk only, so that computer users can refer to them on a computer screen rather than having to deal with unwieldy printed manuals that are costly for manufacturers to produce.

Let's take argument statement wise.

1. Some manufacturers of computer software have proposed cutting costs--How
2. By distributing instruction manuals for their programs on computer disk only--> impact-- computer users can refer to manuals on computer screen.
3. Then author says, by doing so computer users don't have to deal with unwieldy printed manuals. Unwieldy means- difficult to carry or move because of its size, shape, or weight, too big or badly organized to function efficiently etc.
4. Printed manuals are expensive to produce.

Question- Justify keeping hard copies manual.

Now option C says --Because they are expensive and inconvenient to copy, printed instruction manuals provide one of the best deterrents against the illegal copying of software, which costs manufacturers enormous profits.

I agree C is best answer among other options. Question here I am thinking how in real life soft copy manual will lead to software piracy. Really how ?
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [2]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos