Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Starting MBA at age of 28 or 29 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nitinmehta wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
nitinmehta wrote:
Hi Team,

Brief Background
DOB: October 86.
Years of Experience : June 2009 - Now ( 4.25 yrs )
Role : Software Developer in Adobe and Amazon.
Target College : Stanford
Target Role Post MBA : Product Management.
Location Of Job : India
Nationality : Indian
GMAT Score : NA
Tentative Date of GMAT : 6 Nov 2013.

Confusion: As you can see that I have still not given my GMAT. By the time I give my GMAT I will be late to apply for round 1 of this year 2014 batch. I have also read that 4-6 years is an average work experience for US MBA for Indian Student.
I was wondering if I should wait till next year 2015 batch to apply for round 1 and spend this year building my profile to increase my chances of getting in Stanford or I shall apply this year itself.
By Waiting I am expecting my profile will be stronger, my essays will be better but I don't want to fall in the bucket of Old applicants as I will be 29 by the time batch of 2015 starts.

Please Advice .

Regards
Nitin.

Hey Nitin,
Well you have a lot of options here, and a lot will depend on your GMAT. In general I recommend applying to as many schools as possible in a single round (and strategically selected at that), because ultimately that gives you the best options and chances.

Of course we don't always operate in an ideal world, and I understand that. If you get your GMAT score in Nov, and let's assume you get the score you need (710+), then one option for you would be to apply to Stanford (and maybe another top school) which would be your top two schools (or maybe even three if you can manage it). The disadvantage is that this is really not a very balanced strategy, and you are taking a big risk that you return empty-handed. But on the other hand, why not? There's no great advantage to waiting that extra time if you have the GMAT score you need, but do be prepared to apply again if things don't work out.

Does that make sense?

Let me know your thoughts, and of course, of course best of luck on your GMAT!

JF

The reason I was weighing my option of waiting was because in case my application gets rejected this fall, I would be a reapplicant in the next. So, wont that be an issue in the college.

Not really. If you look at reapplicant acceptance rates, they are quite similar to the general student population, so as long as you have shown some significant improvement by your next application you are really at no more disadvantage than you might normally be.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts