Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 09:03 It is currently 10 May 2024, 09:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73134 [6]
Given Kudos: 18942
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [2]
Given Kudos: 184
Send PM
Re: stay at home mom preparing for b-school [#permalink]
Kudos
divyag9 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a stay at home mom and currently planning to get back into the industry after a gap of around 10 years. Yes i took the break to take care of kids ,reconciled to become the trailing spouse and give my ambitions a break out of compassion, responsibility and pride. Now everyone is independent and successful in their lives and i have decided to step up and pursue my dreams. The first step was higher education as that was my last thoughts when i quit my job 10 years ago. So i am currently preparing for gmat -target it to get a 700+ score.I didnt come across anyone similar to my situation and have been researching to know more about people who have travelled in the same boat. What are my chances to get into a decent mba program? A little about my background- i am an engineer and have also around 5 years of work experience in risk consulting with the big 4 consulting firms.

Thanks
D

Wow first congrats for both of your decisions its a tough decision to make! making it to 700+ with your experience in math and big 4 work experience i believe you will ace the gmat for sure. Gmatclub is the most full and comprehensive resource you will need are you searching for mbas in europe asia or usa ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6266 [2]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
stay at home mom preparing for b-school [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
@bb- Great gesture!!

All the best for both of you. divyag9 and NathalieMathalie .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you everyone for the inspiration and tremendous support. Messages like these just keep me going and feel connected to the community. Nathalie as you said we always tend to keep ourselves at the end because we are so used to it. I wont quit and for sure- i have been a decent student at school during my undergrad and a contributing employee at work. The 10 years of isolation from the work community and being domesticated has taken a hit on my confidence and i have to do this successfully tp prove to myself i can and i will.... Thank you for the inspiration.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I hear you about the lack of confidence. I have been struggling with that as well. If you need a study break, check out the TIME magazine special feature on "Women Changing the World". You should be able to access it online. I found it to be SO inspirational and exactly what I needed to motivate myself right now. A lot of the women who are featured are mothers too and talk about the confidence gap.

Madeline Albright has a great article about getting back in the workforce and building a successful career after staying home with her premature daughters.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73134 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi. Happy to chime in and help. Do you have a gap in your employment? How long have you had a gap for?

Before you took a break, did you have brands on your resume? Why not go back to what you have been doing before? Why switch?

Finally, why are you considering and pursuing an MBA? Or advanced degree? Do you want income and it is money issue or this is something you will love you think and that’s why you are pursuing it?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73134 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Great point! I have found in my experience, AdCom to be a very helpful group of people. Many are mothers who understand your situation and have been there and will do what’s within their power to help and make the transition possible.

Reaching out is also a great way to build a connection that will help through the application process.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Good luck! Kids can be hard and I feel if you can handle kids all day long, you have the stamina to handle BSchool Application no problem.
P.S. I have given 6-month subscriptions to the GMAT Club tests for both of you (Nathalie, you also got a refund on your original purchase).

Good Luck!
Wow thank you bb! Another example of the amazing support offered to us. Moms will start taking over business schools if you keep this up.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MrsB wrote:
Hello Moms!

It's definitely very refreshing to see these posts. I recently became a stay-at-home Mum. I quit my job and decided to stay at home and raise my daughter after facing terrible issues with care for my 2 year old. A little bit about me, I come from a country in Africa. Before quitting my job I worked as a Product Manager in a Global top 2 Consumer Electronics Company. I joined the company right after my MSc and worked there for 6 years. I also started a fashion business 9 months ago, which I concurrently managed with full time work. ECs: I was quite an accomplished pianist and won a National talent hunt piano competition, was the accompanist of my university classical music choir, and I teach summer piano classes to neighbourhood kids. Also won gold medal for Chess in the national Inter-varsity Games.

I am currently struggling with the GMAT especially the Quant section. Math has always been an enemy. I will be applying in the third round to my dream school, INSEAD, which is not ideal as I was going to take the GMAT this week and try to submit in the 2nd round (since my essays are almost ready), but I haven't scored beyond 590 in any GMAT practice test, even after getting a tutor and spending more time studying (after I quit my job in March). My target score is 700, which I hope gives me the best chance of getting in and only European 1 year MBA Schools (INSEAD, HEC, IESE).

I am worried, what if I can't/don't score more than 650 at best. or even 600. Will I be able to get into a top ten European MBA program? Anyone with any similar experiences? tips, advice? Please share, I would be so grateful.
Hello and welcome!

It sounds like you have a very interesting story and are quite accomplished. I would definitely recommend that you reach out to the admissions department at your target schools and introduce yourself. Most schools seem to be looking for diversity in their candidates and I found that my target school sees being a mom as an asset because it shows resilience.

I'm from an arts background too so I get the quant struggle. (I'm an oil painter, turned graphic designer, turned marketer). I studied all of the Manhattan prep books for the foundations and then did OG problems.

I took my first GMAT at the beginning of March and got a 600. I realized that I needed to learn test taking strategies and did a kind of "math immersion". I used Empower GMAT (but you might prefer a different program) and also did all of the questions that popped up from Bunuel on this app. 3 weeks later I took the GMAT again and managed to bring my score up to my school's average. I have an interview tomorrow so I'm glad I put in the extra effort.
I'm sure that you've heard this before, but the GMAT is just one part of your application. You have some accomplishments that could really set you apart and intrigue the admissions committee if you market yourself well.

Give the GMAT a go and get the first one out of the way (I hear people usually do better on subsequent attempts), and really focus on making the rest of your application spectacular. Also, I know said it before, but I was amazed at the level of help and support I got from the admissions committee when I reached out. I feel like I've had people on my side through this whole process and it has given me a huge confidence boost.

Good luck!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Thank you Nathalie and BB. This has been the most inspiring posts ever. I have been preparing for the gmat with my materials and i have had no one to connect to or understand how to go about the process. Since i am coming back after a gap of 10 years preparing for the exam has been a challenge for me honestly. I will connect with the colleges in my areas to understand what my chances are and how i should align my study goals accordingly. Yes, i agree studying for the gmat has been the toughest part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I think you are actually in a really good position to do well on the GMAT. I've heard that engineers with English as their first language have a huge advantage.
I bought all of the Manhattan prep Quant books and have been studying the math concepts for the past 6 months. The best resources for actual questions and mock tests are the Official Guides and the GMAT tests because they most closely resemble the real thing. I tried Veritas Prep mock tests but found the verbal component to be "off". I've always scored in the 90th percentile for the verbal section, and knew that something wasn't right.

Most importantly, whatever you do, don't give up. I've had so many moments where I thought it would be easier to just continue with the same old routine, but I don't want to look back and regret not giving this my all. We are used to putting ourselves last and compromising, but this is when we get to put ourselves first, and you will be pleasantly surprised with how many people want to help (adcoms, friends, family).

It's also a great example for our kids. The other day my son was trying to explain the difference between an Egyptian mummy and his mommy (he is 3) and he got really frustrated and yelled: "Not the kind of mommy that studies, the other kind!". What a great definition of a mommy!

I'm rewriting my GMAT on Monday, so I'm also in the trenches here. Feel free to reach out any time.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Good luck! Kids can be hard and I feel if you can handle kids all day long, you have the stamina to handle BSchool no problem.
P.S. I have given 6-month subscriptions to the GMAT Club tests for both of you (Nathalie, you also got a refund on your original purchase).

Good Luck!

Great gesture BB.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Nathalie- Thanks a lot. I will look into that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
divyag9 wrote:
Nathalie- Thanks a lot. I will look into that.
Hi! I have been thinking about you this week. Were you able to contact the admissions committee? If so, were they helpful?
I rewrote my GMAT on Monday and finished submitting my application on Thursday. (Fingers crossed for both of us!!)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hello Moms!

It's definitely very refreshing to see these posts. I recently became a stay-at-home Mum. I quit my job and decided to stay at home and raise my daughter after facing terrible issues with care for my 2 year old. A little bit about me, I come from a country in Africa. Before quitting my job I worked as a Product Manager in a Global top 2 Consumer Electronics Company. I joined the company right after my MSc and worked there for 6 years. I also started a fashion business 9 months ago, which I concurrently managed with full time work. ECs: I was quite an accomplished pianist and won a National talent hunt piano competition, was the accompanist of my university classical music choir, and I teach summer piano classes to neighbourhood kids. Also won gold medal for Chess in the national Inter-varsity Games.

I am currently struggling with the GMAT especially the Quant section. Math has always been an enemy. I will be applying in the third round to my dream school, INSEAD, which is not ideal as I was going to take the GMAT this week and try to submit in the 2nd round (since my essays are almost ready), but I haven't scored beyond 590 in any GMAT practice test, even after getting a tutor and spending more time studying (after I quit my job in March). My target score is 700, which I hope gives me the best chance of getting in and only European 1 year MBA Schools (INSEAD, HEC, IESE).

I am worried, what if I can't/don't score more than 650 at best. or even 600. Will I be able to get into a top ten European MBA program? Anyone with any similar experiences? tips, advice? Please share, I would be so grateful.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Thank you so much for your kind words and advice Nathalie and Congratulations on securing an interview! I hope it went well?

I checked out EMPOWER GMAT and I am seriously considering it. I plan to take the GMAT within a month.

I am amazed at how supportive the admissions team has being to you. I wanted to ask how you approached them? Did you just introduce yourself and maybe mentioned some concerns you may have with how your application will be assessed maybe not working full time as a mom?

Thank you for sharing your experience once again!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
MrsB wrote:
Thank you so much for your kind words and advice Nathalie and Congratulations on securing an interview! I hope it went well?

I checked out EMPOWER GMAT and I am seriously considering it. I plan to take the GMAT within a month.

I am amazed at how supportive the admissions team has being to you. I wanted to ask how you approached them? Did you just introduce yourself and maybe mentioned some concerns you may have with how your application will be assessed maybe not working full time as a mom?

Thank you for sharing your experience once again!

So sorry for the delayed response! I am back at work after maternity leave and things are crazy to say the least :)

Did you end up writing the GMAT? How did it go?

I just heard on Tuesday that I got accepted into the full time MBA program at Queen's (Canada) starting January 2019. I'm so excited!

When I reached out to the applications committee I was more concerned about my unconventional background in Fine Art to be honest. There was an option to "introduce yourself" and I figured that I might as well give it a shot!

I briefly outlined my education and work experience, explained that I was currently on maternity leave and that I had delayed pursuing an MBA to start a family, but that I was now in a good position to apply.

If I can offer any key piece of advice, it would be to try to be as genuine as possible and ask the questions you are really concerned about.

I think that if MBA programs are truly committed to enrolling more women, they will realize that the reality for a lot of us at this age is that we have children and responsibilities outside of work. I also think that as mothers we tend to downplay our accomplishments because we are used to putting ourselves last. You are very accomplished and should present that to the applications committee with confidence (but don't forget to stay genuine ;)

I hope that your program is as encouraging as Queen's has been to me!

Please feel to ask any more questions that come to mind!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
This post is spectacular as it well relates with me. Though I am a Software engineer and mothe rof 1.5 yr old kid, currently I am also a stay at home mom as after maternity I joined and things didnt work out. To be honest, I have separated from my spouse after facing lot of domestic abuses. Now to bring my life on track, I have decided to pursue dreams of higher education and decided to appear for GMAT. Targeting Indian MBA colleges as low on funds and also toddler to take care of but now only bread winner for my kid.

I have total of 7+ years of experience in quality analysis, banking and finance domain across multiple MNCs , trained and experience on various automation and tools. Total of 4 years of managerial skills . Had scored 90+percent in HSC , SSC , university rank holder in my engineering.

Please let me know your views on my profiles

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Also, planning to appear in June but my verbal is not upto mark being a Non native. V30 Q49 640 in last mock. awaiting your views
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2