Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [16]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [1]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Stay Healthy, Score Higher [#permalink]
Kudos
Unearths a different perspective on the GMAT, raises it to new level of sanity check! :-D :beer
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Laxie,

Try not to drink the green tea after 5pm as the caffeine content does tend to keep you awake in much the same way coffee does. You should be able to get some good "cha" in Guangzou.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
[#permalink]
Matt,

I just saw this post of yours and am amazed!

Whoever follows your tips will definitely stay healthy, mentally and physically.

I will try the fish eating, hot bath, photosynthesis :lol: , and vitamins!

Thanks again for a great post!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hot bath is not for everyones' heart! I feel bad after hot bath!!! And can not sleep well!!! Be carefull when give such an advice!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
[#permalink]
chudik wrote:
Hot bath is not for everyones' heart! I feel bad after hot bath!!! And can not sleep well!!! Be carefull when give such an advice!!!

Just like eating fish can log a bone in your throat.

Matt gave very good advices and people should try it at their own discretion and know what their limit is, this pertains to all activities, not just the ones Matt posted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would add - think positive and optimistic - it will add to your helthy mood. Still, be realistic :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow... amazing tips... in addition to MATT's... many members asked for this and they finally got it!

Out of all, I think SLEEP is the most essential... you feel so fresh and energized in the morning if you slept enough... definition of "enough" is different for everyone though :sleep
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that when test day nears, sleep and managing anxiety are the two most important factors. Of course, these factors can conspire to work against you. My greatest fear is that the night before the test I won't be able to sleep, which will lead to a panic attack; or maybe I'll have a panic attack and wont' be able to sleep.

Of course, lack of sleep on test day means that you won't be able to focus, and complex problems might be extremely difficult to tackle if your mind is not fresh. Anxiety during the test can be very distracting. Either scenario could cost major points on test day.

All the tips in this thread are great (depending on each person according to his/her own needs). If I can just get a good nights sleep prior to the exam, I think I can walk in with confidence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 534 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the tips. I believe diet is a significant part of GMAT preparation.
I have started taking focus factor capsules to improve my ability to focus.
It seems to work as I don't waste much time idling away in useless thoughts.

I also felt that getting up early morning at 5:30 am and doing around 2 hours of preperation before going to office is very useful. I am usually not as efficient in the evenings after work.

Also, reading helps calm the nerves. Reading the right subject matter helps you prepare for interviews and takes your mind of the intense preperation of GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think diet is very important.
We should try to control how much we eat when we hungry. If I am very hungry I cannot control myself and eat too much, then become very lazy. Difficult to concentrate in GMAT when you are too full.
Eating healthy food and no alcohol is very helpfull.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ps_dahiya wrote:
I wanted to add one more thing.

DONT TAKE HEAVY MEAL WITHIN 1-1.5 HOURS PRIOR TO THE TEST. I mean if your test is at 11:00 AM then don't eat anything heavy, except juice etc., after 9:30 AM. There is a scientific reason behind this. After eating heavy meals all your digestive organs start working hard (contracting muscles, secreting enzymes). So blood supply to these organs is increased and blood supply to brain is decresed. Thats why you feel dizzy after heavy meals.

Food Coma . . . ain't that the truth.

Take some omega 3's too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 534 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Any more information on the dietary supplements? I have started taking some focus pills to improve my concentration levels.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
What would you say would be good to have the night before/morning of the actual exam? What would be good to bring to the exam to have during the breaks?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
in general, i feel a lot more effective in everyday life when i eat breakfast. don't forget the most important meal of the day! and avoid sugar early in the morning before the test bc the boost you get from sugar will wear off early.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Do you think its a good idea to take benedryl or nyquil a night before the test and get some good rest? I have a feeling I wont be able to sleep because of the stress and anxiety and I CANNOT perform well without good sleep.
Ofcourse I will try it couple of times beforehand when I give my practice test. But I am wondering if anyone else over here have tried it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
WOW!! Awesome post!!! Thanx!!! I am gonna start drinking green tea loll :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q47  V29