Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
what idiots! ok, i sent a message to the pearson folks. we'll see what they say. if they're serious about this, i will personally organize a revolt. write your congressman! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
would like to know how many guys in this forum have to make the GMAT at Pearsons. Maybe we can arrange a plebiscite, if this is the proper term.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree - this is BS. I don;t know why they are further complicating an already stressful situation and using a medium they know we aren't comfortable with.

Please keep us updated if anyone calls Pearson...

and I also write in my own tiny chicken scratches...a medium tip pen or generously flowing ball point drives me crazy - I can't imagine doing quant with a dry-erase marker!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I called up the Pearson offices here in Singapore (where I am based) and in Manila (where i used to work), and both confirmed the eventual use of the "whiteboard" (which is nothing more than laminated bond paper). What the Singapore office told me, though, is that Pearson is considering to allow more than 2 boards per person. Does anyone know what the final policy is? January is just around the corner.

I've already written to Pearson twice to try to clarify this, but i haven't even received a reply. Quite unprofessional, if you ask me... and it frankly pisses me off. I'm all for public clamor on this one... was wondering in fact why most people are only talking about it now when the policy was introduced some months back and i've been worrying ever since as my work load will only let me take the GMAT in 06.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know how big those white boards are? [#permalink]
ETS used supply us with 4 papers quite generously :shock: . Those 4 papers were not really sufficient for me as i write big letters. In my first attempt, I had to really search for blank spaces on the paper to work on Quant questions.

I am not sure if these white boards would be big enough for us to use for all those calculations. I don't buy their words about replenishing new paper/white boards whenever hands are raised. It did not happen during my first attempt. I was given pencils with broken leads and I had to literally walk to the proctor to ask for replacement as nobody took notice of my raised hand. It is utter waste of time.

:x
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It's been mentioned before on this site that the 'whiteboards' are laminated pieces of white paper and markers will be given for writing on them. No working is to be erased from these boards, though you can erase to re-write if you make a mistake (quite dumb, if you ask me). However, it seems that this format will be here to stay unless Pearson decides on something else.

Since this thread is about strategy, I'll try to suggest something which you can try out.

I've never seen the whiteboards before nor taken the Pearson administered GMAT, so I can't comment on the quality of their boards (smooth/rough, reflective or dull etc) or their markers (fine/medium/thick, smudge etc). However, I suppose you can try and laminate your own piece of A4 paper and practice using a marker, as opposed to using pen and pencil. Yes, it's a hassle, but I supose it's better than adapting on test-day itself.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Happy New Years everyone!

I'm going to call Pearson and see if I can go to a test center and look at a 'whiteboard'
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Impulse,

Do update us please! Very interested in this whiteboard business....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
[#permalink]
I'm afriad what ywilfred said is true.

It seems that some tests were already utilizing the erasable boards because when I took the test last week, I saw the administrators giving them out.

Its indeed laminated papers and I think only 2 is given at a time (From what I saw) as well as one black marker.

I think the idea is totally dumb.......Its not a hassle for verbal as not much work is needed but for quant.....I used up all the booklet and had to find spaces to work because I didn't want to have to wait for them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Relax guys !!! [#permalink]
alrite guys relax & chill....now the point is nothing can be done about this white boards and markers...so y simply take tension ...infact we all can follow wat ywilfred suggest !!...practise with whiteboards before the real thing.....DO WE HAVE AN OPTION ????

and again wat TECHM said is true...this is not gonna be a hassle for verbal...but ONLY quant.....so u just gotta adjust ur hand writing in the quant section .....

I personallly feel , the only hassle is the size of the marker pen....!!! :oops:

coz if u write in big letters..u mite use up the board quickly and keep asking for 2 more.. and 2 more and 2 more..and this will take ur time in quant section....

so practise writing in small letters...

Can anybody here give me an exact size of the marker..is it fine/medium/thick, smudge etc ?????

all the best
Jinesh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
one question... if it says "erasable", why cant we simply use a piece of tissue, our shirt, hands or whatever to rub it off and get more space for working?

I know Pearson says not allow to erase workings... but I'm sure they do not stand beisde you to supervise 100% of the time!?
some thoughts on this?

If they ask why u have so little workings on the paper... simply reply, i use mental calculation!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
[#permalink]
Whoever made up this rule is definitely smoking something.

Let's wait couple days until some of our fellow test takers give us their input.

I think I will call PV or my testing center to confirm what exactly can be erased/not erased.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some info on Pearson Vue administered CBTs:

I took a (non-GMAT) certification exam a few months ago, and was given a laminated white board, with a black marker (erasable ink). The board was about 8'' X 11'', and the marker was about 1.5 times thicker than a standard wood penciil. The marker tip was about 3-4 mm.

I was not asked to refrain from erasing anything, though I can't confirm if there was some rule about this, as I never needed any paper for this test.

I would not be surprised if this is the same model maintained for the upcoming GMAT tests as well.

Hope this info helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi ALL,

This is definitely serious issue. We must do SOMETHING about it.

Sages Pls suggest. It definitely makes the test scores an apples to oranges comparision under different conditions.

If someone on the board has lobbying expertise it will be good to get some direction. :-D > I can only think of everyone sending multiple emails to MBA.COM Customer Service.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]