Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:56 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:56
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10541 [14]
Given Kudos: 49
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 280
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Re: Strategy guide for Game X: In the board game Game X, the traditional [#permalink]
Hi,

Can anyone please help me understand the question in details.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Re: Strategy guide for Game X: In the board game Game X, the traditional [#permalink]
­@ MartyTargetTestPrep @KarishmaB could you please provide an explaination for this question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q86 V85 DI84
Send PM
Strategy guide for Game X: In the board game Game X, the traditional [#permalink]

horrorslive wrote:
­@ MartyTargetTestPrep @KarishmaB could you please provide an explaination for this question?

­Hope that this answer helps you

Quite dirty, but on the left "your player", and on the vertical the other player
so there are many categories ( exp, and technologies used, maybe there are some things that are not reflected as No knowledge, or same experience)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
335 Q69 V70 DI61
Send PM
Could anyone provide OA for this question?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT Focus 1:
655 Q82 V83 DI82
GPA: 7.1
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

Arpitamitra wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone please help me understand the question in details.

­
I'll simplify using the following nomenclature.

Replace the arrow (---> )in the below statements with ("is advantageous against opponents who know/are"). 
TO = Traditional Openings
NTO = Non Traditional Openings
DNO = Do not know Openings
AO = Aggressive Openings
DO =Defensive Openings
LE = Less Experienced
ME = More Experienced.

Now follow the question statement.
Quote:
1. the traditional openings—strategic sequences of moves at the beginning of games—are most advantageous against opponents who understand both the traditional and the nontraditional openings, and also against those who do not understand any of the openings very well.

2. nontraditional openings are most advantageous against opponents who understand only the traditional openings

3. Aggressive openings, whether traditional or nontraditional, generally favor a player who uses them against an opponent less experienced with Game X

4. defensive openings, whether traditional or nontraditional, tend to reduce an opponent's advantage when used by a player less experienced with Game X.

1. TO ----> TO,NTO,DNO
2. NTO ----> TO
3. AO ----> LE
4. DO ----> ME

­Now see statements 1 and 3.

Traditional Agressive Openings is advantageous against an oponent who knows both T and NT openings but is less experienced than you. (Option 3)*

And Statements 2 and 4.

Non Traditional Defensive Openings is advantageous against an opponent who knows Traditional Openings but is more experienced than you. (Option 2)

* I must point out that if you are using Traditional Openings, it does not matter what kind of opening your opponent plays, you will always be at an advantage. So, it only comes down to experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Defensive, nontraditional situations where the player is LESS EXPERIENCED, reduce the opponent's advantage. But if the opponent only knows traditional openings, then it's the most advantage. The degree of advantage is much higher than the previous
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
94625 posts
DI Forum Moderator
997 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11474 posts