Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 01:13 It is currently 09 May 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11676 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11676 [0]
Send PM
Re: Struggling to hit 700+ on Veritas CATs - how to optimize studying? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi cecilpaladin32,

Since you won't be applying to Business School for some time, you have plenty of time to continue studying - which is good. Locking up a strong GMAT Score now is a smart choice - and it will free you up later to put the proper effort into the other areas of your applications. Once you've analyzed this recent CAT result, we'll be better able to plan out the next phase of your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Struggling to hit 700+ on Veritas CATs - how to optimize studying? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cecilpaladin32,

Since you won't be applying to Business School for some time, you have plenty of time to continue studying - which is good. Locking up a strong GMAT Score now is a smart choice - and it will free you up later to put the proper effort into the other areas of your applications. Once you've analyzed this recent CAT result, we'll be better able to plan out the next phase of your studies.

Rich

Hi Rich,
So after reviewing my most recent CAT, here are the takeaways I see:

Quant: Of the six questions I got wrong, 4 were incredibly careless mistakes. 1 was an interpretation problem where I had difficulty understanding the question. 1 is a question that I found tricky and would have likely solved correctly in a non-test situation, but I was not surprised to see that I got it wrong in a "test situation", and is a problem type I've rarely come across (min/max optimization type problem). Unfortunately, as I had feared, I got 4 incorrect answers in the the first 9 questions. 3 of these were in the 500-600 range; these are questions which I typically have near 100% accuracy on across the board (in both Veritas and GMAT Club). Subsequently, I got 19 of the next 20 questions correct, but by that point it looks like the damage to my score was already done. I'm hoping that part of the reason for the high volume of careless errors was due to how early I took the test and with less sleep than I need to perform optimally.

Verbal:
Sentence Correction: I went 6/10 on 700-750 questions (10/15 overall). 1 of the 4 was a 50/50 type situation, the other 2 I got wrong were questions I just found to be very difficult questions. 1 was a careless error to a degree; it still was not an easy question but if I had spent a bit more time on it, I would have likely gotten it correct. I understand the core concepts that were being tested on the questions I got wrong, just the application was quite difficult. I also got one 650 level sentence correction wrong which was definitely a careless mistake (one of the only two questions below 700 level difficulty that I got wrong in the entire verbal section; the other such question was in in reading comprehension).

CR:
I went 6/9 overall, here. The 3 CR questions that I got incorrect were all 700+ level. 1 was a 50/50 that I got wrong, the other 2 were just very challenging questions for me. Of these two, one was a question that I'd definitely get right in a non-testing situation with some pensive thought, but the subtle nuance of the answer was very tricky (it was one of the only two 750-800 level verbal questions that I received on this test; the other one was in reading comprehension), and it would definitely be a stretch to call it a truly careless mistake.

Reading Comprehension:
I went 10/12 here. One was a 50/50 that I got wrong (600-650 level), and the other was a 700-750 level question that I just found very difficult. I did manage to get the one 750-800 level question that I saw in this section, correct.

So in summation to your original questions:

1) 4 atypical silly mistakes on quant of very low difficulty, 2 truly silly mistakes on verbal - both in sentence correction
2) N/A - All the concepts needed for all questions were present on both sections
3) 1 quant question I just didn't understand (not actually terribly hard with correct understanding); 5 verbal questions that I found very challenging (2 sentence correction/2 critical reasoning/1 reading comprehension)
4) None directly, but I did start rushing needlessly a bit early on in quant a bit as I felt like I was falling behind from the get-go; the Veritas test analysis summaries always tell me that I perform the math at a good pace but I almost always feel behind the curve
5) There were three 50/50 questions that I got wrong (1 in each of the 3 verbal sections)

Thanks again for all of your valuable time, help, and insights - I greatly appreciate it!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Struggling to hit 700+ on Veritas CATs - how to optimize studying? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi cecilpaladin32,

At higher-and-higher score levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes (especially on 'gettable' questions). Between the Quant and Verbal sections, there are only 67 questions in total - and if your analysis shows that you got 6 questions wrong because of silly/avoidable mistakes, then that's approximately 10% of the Exam. In simple terms, you cannot 'absorb' those types of losses and hit your Score Goal. Thus, you might just need a bit of additional study that is focused on your 'mechanics' (your note-taking process, how you work through questions on your pad, etc.) so that you avoid making the little mistakes in the first place.

That all having been said, since your CAT Scores are all in the mid-600s to high-600s, you might have developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that are keeping you from scoring higher. Your Quant Scaled Scores imply that you're treating the Quant section as if it were a 'math test', when it is NOT that (it's a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little math steps as you work through it). To score at a much higher level in this section, you need to become more of a 'strategist' and less of a 'mathematician.'

You could potentially fix all of these issues on your own, but you might also find it useful to work with some new study materials that will keep you focused on honing the exact skills that you need to be working on.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cecilpaladin32,

At higher-and-higher score levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes (especially on 'gettable' questions). Between the Quant and Verbal sections, there are only 67 questions in total - and if your analysis shows that you got 6 questions wrong because of silly/avoidable mistakes, then that's approximately 10% of the Exam. In simple terms, you cannot 'absorb' those types of losses and hit your Score Goal. Thus, you might just need a bit of additional study that is focused on your 'mechanics' (your note-taking process, how you work through questions on your pad, etc.) so that you avoid making the little mistakes in the first place.

That all having been said, since your CAT Scores are all in the mid-600s to high-600s, you might have developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that are keeping you from scoring higher. Your Quant Scaled Scores imply that you're treating the Quant section as if it were a 'math test', when it is NOT that (it's a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little math steps as you work through it). To score at a much higher level in this section, you need to become more of a 'strategist' and less of a 'mathematician.'

You could potentially fix all of these issues on your own, but you might also find it useful to work with some new study materials that will keep you focused on honing the exact skills that you need to be working on.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hi Rich,
Thank you for your response. I try to put in 1-2 hours a day on weekdays four times a week and then 4-5 hours a day on both Saturday and Sunday. I'll go down the middle and say a ballpark figure of about 15 hours a week on average. I am still pretty rusty on the quant and feel that just simply doing more questions/reviewing problematic concepts will get me up to Q48 pretty regularly with a month or so of studying, based on how my studying at the start of the year went (It took me two months of solid studying to hit Q48 fairly regularly at that time; thus far, I've probably put in about 6 weeks of prep in total since I started up again).

I'm sure what you said applies. I could definitely benefit from being a bit strategic with certain things. Sometimes I miss the forest from the trees for a while and overlook some things. I've never got to a point where I could hit Q49 regularly, even though I had been able to score as high as a 50 on a GMATClub test and started hitting 48 regularly, previously (which gives me belief that the potential is there for me to get to Q49 somewhat consistently, eventually).

I think a big problem during my CATs has been time management on the Quant section. I think part of this is due to being rusty, as well, as some questions I setup quickly but spend a fair amount of time solving out. I am certainly open to potentially trying new materials. I was hoping to start hitting low 700s at the end of my Veritas run and then practice mostly with solely official material in the hopes of going from this point to 720+ (obviously I fell a bit short of the 700 that I was hoping to hit on the Veritas thus far).

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi cecilpaladin32,

Based on everything that you've described, if you can commit to learning and practicing the proper Tactics, then you could potentially earn that higher Quant Score (and Overall Score) in a month or less. Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too intense. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cecilpaladin32,

Based on everything that you've described, if you can commit to learning and practicing the proper Tactics, then you could potentially earn that higher Quant Score (and Overall Score) in a month or less. Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too intense. We have a variety of free resources on our site (https://www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider taking that particular program if I haven't made the tangible progress that I'm looking for in the next few weeks. I think I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that I'll likely have to study beyond mid-December. I'm still feel like I'm dusting the cobwebs off with quant a bit, and I feel that I should naturally progress to Q48 on the pace that I'm going relatively soon. I'm also going to do problem sets reviewing solely questions that I got incorrect and see if I still struggle with the same items from both a timing/content perspective. In the short run, I'm planning to take my an official GMAT CAT next weekend (I'll have to likely work for my job this weekend, in all likelihood, unfortunately).

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot