GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 08:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stuck in 650. How to improve from now on?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Stuck in 650. How to improve from now on?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 15:25
Hi everyone!

The context

I'm sitting for my 1st GMAT on November 11th (started studying in early July) and would like to score around the 700-720. I've taken a local prep course from my country (Brazil), which helped me climb from 540 (before anything) to a fairly consistent 650, but having been stuck with this score for the last 4 weeks (and seeing my test date approaching) I'm starting to feel anxious about not beeing able to improve anymore.

The data

GMAT Prep 1 - 540 (July 5th)
GMAT Prep 2 - 650 (August 28th)
MGMAT 1 - 640 (September 20th)
GMAT Prep 3 - 650 (September 27th)
MGMAT 2 - 650 (October 3rd)
MGMAT 3 - 600 (October 13th)

Verbal: 34-38
Quant: 40-46

The worry

Since I only have around 1-1.5 hours/daily, efficiency is key to my preparation, and after MGMAT 2 (650 three weeks ago) I've been trying to mix up my preparation methods a bit, this last week I decided to solve fewer questions in order to focus more on understanding different types of questions, which has resulted in a 50-point drop from the prior attempt.

So, the question is....

With a little over 4 weeks to go untill my first sit, 1-1.5 hours/day available, and the current scores I've been getting, what kind of preparation would you suggest me?
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Stuck in 650. How to improve from now on?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 20:43
Did you finish OG and other course. Your scores show that you are definitely missing out some important areas.I suggest focus on one section(Quant or verbal) and then try all 700 level questions to see where are you lacking.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 21:02
Hi crmarschner,

To start, what were your Quant and Verbal Scores on each of your CATs/mocks? I ask because 'ranges' of numbers don't provide much context for how you've scored from CAT-to-CAT; there might be patterns to your performances - or big 'swings' - and we need to define that information to properly plan out how you should approach this next phase of your studies.

In addition, "review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). Since the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, I'd like to know a bit more about the GMATPrep3 CAT that you took on September 27th. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 23:01
crmarschner - Welcome to GMAT Club!

I would advise you to use the search options to look for some existing topics wherein we discussed ways to overcome the GMAT score plateau. That said, let me provide you with an existing thread containing a compilation of high-quality forum topics that you help you increase your score. The Definitive Improve My GMAT Score Thread
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 20:29
Hi crmarschner,

I’m happy to provide some advice but would like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. Once you respond to the questions already asked, I can provide further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stuck in 650. How to improve from now on?   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2019, 20:29

Stuck in 650. How to improve from now on?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep