Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:29 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Re: Study Plan - is this good enough? + manhattan prep course? [#permalink]
yes, the MGMAT full length test would also be a good starting point
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks shadowsjc!

I will take the time this weekend to do it and report back my scores here. I think it comes with an AWA section. Should I do it? I've read we can skip it since it's the first one

BLITZ
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72903 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
blitz wrote:
thanks shadowsjc!

I will take the time this weekend to do it and report back my scores here. I think it comes with an AWA section. Should I do it? I've read we can skip it since it's the first one

BLITZ

Sure. Not critical. At this time probably just a waste of time.
FYI - download gmatprep
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Just out of curiosity, I am wondering what people think I might need to put into my study effort/time to score around a 650? Two weeks ago I took the first gmatprep CAT test and got a 500 (24 Q/35 V). Whoopie! I understand that there's no set formula for improvement, but curious if there is a general consensus out there? I'm currently working through the latest edition of the Official GMAT Guide and concentrating on Math. Currently looking at a 12/5 test date, but will probably change it to early Feb. '10.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72903 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
capable2 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I am wondering what people think I might need to put into my study effort/time to score around a 650? Two weeks ago I took the first gmatprep CAT test and got a 500 (24 Q/35 V). Whoopie! I understand that there's no set formula for improvement, but curious if there is a general consensus out there? I'm currently working through the latest edition of the Official GMAT Guide and concentrating on Math. Currently looking at a 12/5 test date, but will probably change it to early Feb. '10.

Thanks!

This does not hold for anyone, and is basically my own measurements. May not work for you, but assuming you have not done any studying, I'd say
3.5 months for 200 point improvement
2 months for 150 points
1 month for 100 points

This assumes about 20 hrs/week
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I just completed my 1st CAT test using Manhattan GMAT and scored the following:

overal score: 460
quantitative score: 26
verbal score: 29

Although I did just start studying (mostly verbal, almost no math), this is tremendously discouraging. I was kind of a little out of it when doing the test and did some guesses on verbal (many guesses for math because I simply do not know the content). My initial plan was to do the exam around the end of December, but I may now opt to do it in January or Feb (which will be crazy because of work obligations). For one of the programs of choice, the application deadline is March 15th. For the other one, it is much later. I do need to get a score of 600+ to be considered for either program (aiming for the 650 range). This brings me back to my initial post (see first post of this thread)

Does anyone have any thoughts? Anything would be most appreciated.

BLITZ
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Been doing a lot of thinking over the past couple of days and considered many factors. Basically, I have 2 business schools I want to apply at. One of them the deadline is March 15th and the other one the deadline is June 1st. With enough research I figured a score of 650 is sufficient to get in. However, I am crazy busy with work commitments and do not feel the best in my abilities so I went out and did the following (since my first post):

- purchased all the Manhattan gmat prep guides
I don't know if it was necessary to do but I did enough research to know that their books are highly regarded

- purchased OG Quantitative Review and Verbal Review

- hired a professional tutor for math who use to teach for Kaplan (very reasonable rate at $40 per hour)

- contemplating taking the Manhattan Self-Study course which includes 9 online lectures (total cost approx $500 since I already got the books and OG on my own)

- called up the MBA program with the March 15th deadline and asked for an extension to do the GMAT. The extension was granted. I have until mid-April 2010 to do my GMAT and submit my scores. Yahoo! This means I have approximately 5.5 months to prepare for the GMAT if I really need it

Does anyone have any thoughts on my plan? I figure that I will be able to put approximately 10 hours per week (some weeks will be more and some weeks will be a lot less)

Thanks

BLITZ
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I took the MGMAT in-person course and I feel that if you are aiming towards a 600+ level, it should do the job. If you are aiming for 700, you would have to definitely work a little extra to achieve that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:
I took the MGMAT in-person course and I feel that if you are aiming towards a 600+ level, it should do the job. If you are aiming for 700, you would have to definitely work a little extra to achieve that.

Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much decided on the self-study course. I'm just going to complete the math review section in Kaplan Premier Program and waiting on something else work/career wise before going ahead with the course.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Sounds good. I hoping the gmat club prep exams help me reach the 49-50 level on the quant.
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: International Relations
Send PM
Hi Blitz!

Thanks for considering our Guided Self Study Program!

After reading your posts, here are my suggestions.

1. Don't be disheartened by your score on your first MGMAT test! The first test is a diagnostic more than anything else. It's a good way to see what you already know and what you need to work on. Make sure you go through your test and look at what you got right and wrong. Focus your studying on the types of questions you got wrong. For example, if you got a lot of Data Sufficiency problems wrong, work on Data Sufficiency techniques specifically.

2. If you're having the most trouble in math, I would suggest you start by taking our free math diagnostic test. You can find that by going to the "Prep Programs" tab on our site and scrolling down to the link called "Free Foundations of GMAT Math Strategy Supplement & Workshops." If you do chose to do our self-study program, you will be able to take our foundations of math workshops for free, which you may find helpful. We also just came out with a Foundations of GMAT Math book, which is included in the complete prep set you will receive when you sign up for the Guided Self Study.

3. Check out the syllabus for our nine-session course, which you can download from our Guided Self Study page. I would suggest trying to structure your self study around this syllabus. In addition, once you sign up for the Guided Self Study, you'll get our Study Organizer, which is a good way to keep track of what work to do daily.

4. One person suggested taking one of our tests every week. Since you have quite a bit of time, I would suggest instead first spending 3-4 weeks learning techniques and practicing official guide questions (make sure to time yourself while you do to get yourself down to two minutes each!) Once you have the basics down, take your second exam, but not right away!

5. Save your mba[dot]com tests for the end. As they are the most accurate, they're great to take a week or so before your actual GMAT, so you can have the best idea of what to expect.

Also, when taking your practice exams, I would strongly suggest taking the AWA section as well. Even though they aren't scored, we've heard from several students that there's a big difference between going into the quant section fresh, and going into the quant section after having already sat in a chair writing essays for an hour. It's good to try and simulate the actual 4-hour test as closely as possible when you study.

Best of luck with your studies. Feel free to contact us at 1-800-576-4628 if you have any further questions or want to sign up for the Guided Self Study!

Best,
Caitlin
GMAT Club Bot