Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: TARGET 700+ SCORED 600 :( [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi TANUPREET,

From your prior post, there were a few 'red flags' that help to define why your score dropped. Before we discuss those though, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
1) In the 3 days before the test day, I revised all the maths formulae and notes of tricks and tips of verbal. I also practiced questions of RC and CR for these were my weak areas. And one day before the GMAT, I took a full length test.
2) I had a good sleep the night before the test.
3) The ride to the test centre was hardly 7-8 minutes.
4) No, there were no such distractions .
5) During the first 8-min break, I took too long. I got fresh, had water and a chocolate as a snack. Also took a stroll within the test premises. I underestimated the time that I took for these things and lost on 30 seconds on the timer. But still managed to complete the quant section in time. During the second 8-min break, I just got fresh and returned within 2 minutes and resumed my test.
6)I finished both the sections early. Saved 2 min on quant and about 1 min on verbal.
7) But I think for both I did rush during the last 20-25 min considering that I might not be able to complete in time and guessed and marked the questions that I could not solve with effort. So that gave me enough time fir the last 2-3 questions and even saved a couple of minutes in the end.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6277 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
TARGET 700+ SCORED 600 :( [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi TANUPREET,

Although your actual GMAT score dropped from your recent practice test scores, a 600 is a good start. However, to increase your score closer to a 700, you will need to make some major improvement in verbal while maintaining or slightly improving your quant.

To help improve your GMAT score (especially verbal) you want to strive for linear, targeted learning in order to improve your GMAT quant score. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next. Have you been able to approach your prep in this way?

For example, when learning about critical reasoning, attempt to master all aspects of critical reasoning before moving on to another section: master the full range of critical reasoning question types. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within each topic. For example, if you continually have trouble with strengthening arguments based on scientific evidence, you will want to identify and overcome that difficulty. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension.

Also, to help improve your reading comprehension, I recommend reading publications such as the Economist, the New Yorker, Scientific American, or the Smithsonian so you can get used to reading and analyzing long, sophisticated passages that are well written.

To master sentence correction, you must become proficient in the use of grammar rules ( parallelism, subject-verb agreement, comparisons, pronouns, etc.) and accepted English usage. Concentrate on one topic at a time, such as modification, and practice with as many modification questions as you can find. Only after you feel confident with modification should you move to the next topic. In addition to your dedicated study, notice grammar and usage in your everyday life. When you read emails, articles, or even blog posts, pay attention to sentence structure, subject-verb agreement, the use of pronouns, and even punctuation. Use proper grammar in your everyday writing as well. Have you put parallel ideas into parallel constructions? Do all of your pronouns agree with their antecedents?? The more you reinforce your study with related activity outside of your study, the greater the likelihood you will master the topics, and have fun doing so!

For quant, since you are already scoring at a pretty high level, you might consider following a similar but slightly altered approach that consists of more focused practice. For example, if you are reviewing number properties, be sure that you can practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. The results of that practice will help you determine your weak areas within that topic. Once you find and fix your weak areas, then move on to the next quant topic.

Also, instead of using a book for your GMAT prep, you may consider using a self-study course. In comparison to GMAT prep books, self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. By being able to track your progress, you will remain more engaged, and you’ll be able to forecast when you are ready to take your real GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Good luck!!

Originally posted by JeffTargetTestPrep on 22 Sep 2016, 16:30.
Last edited by JeffTargetTestPrep on 04 Nov 2016, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TANUPREET,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT. Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By taking the CATs at different times of day, seeing questions that you had already answered, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' You should have been a bit skeptical that you had raised your scores from a 600 to a 700 in 1 week (it often takes GMATers 2 months of consistent, guided study to gain that type of improvement).

In addition, taking a CAT the day before your Official GMAT was NOT a good idea. The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week. By taking that CAT right before Test Day, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day. Even if you didn't "feel" tired, what you described about the having to rush through parts of the Quant and Verbal sections certainly makes it sound like you were not at your best.

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. However, you will likely need another 2 months of proper study time to consistently score at the 700+ level. Given your overall timeframe, you have plenty of time to continue studying and work on your applications, which is good. You would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@EMPOWERGMATRICHC
Thank you so much for your advice. It certainly helps me understand what went wrong. Please guide me what should be my study strategy now and what study material I should follow. I am weak on RC and CR. With CR, sometimes my line of thinking and interpreting a situation just does not match with that of the author, that makes me choose wrong answers. With RC, I go wrong with specific details type of questions. Please help.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
@JeffTargetTestPrep
Thank you so much for your response and valuable advice.
No, I have not been preparing in such linear and targeted manner. I rather went from book to book, covering all the verbal and quant topics and questions from one book and then moving to the next. May be that is why I could not consolidate one section of verbal at a time.
With SC, I am still better, mostly going wrong with only the faulty idioms type. I am weak on RC and CR. With CR, sometimes my line of thinking and interpreting a situation just does not match with that of the author, that makes me choose wrong answers. With RC, I go wrong with specific details type of questions.
Where can I find sub-topic wiae questions, e.g., faulty idiom queations of SC, Specific details questions type of RC etc?
Please help.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
@EMPOWERGMATRICHC:
If I take only 1 CAT per week for the coming 8 weeks, will that be enough? How about sectional tests of verbal amd quant, should they be taken or only full length tests?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TANUPREET,

To start, a V24 means that you lost significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR), so you would benefit from some specific SC practice to go along with the RC and CR work that you know needs to be done.

As far as taking CATs is concerned, it's important to remember that taking lots of CATs will NOT make you a better Test Taker. A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week (meaning that taking 1 CAT every 2 weeks is fine).

Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too bad. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi TANUPREET,

It looks like you need a study plan that you can stick to. Here is a customized 2-3 month study plan that can help boost your score: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

Use this as a guideline. You don’t have to follow it exactly but the structure of the study plan should be the same structure that you take in your approach. This helps to optimize your retention and learning.

As you study, we recommend that you focus on one particular subsection for multiple consecutive days before moving onto the next. You can see this in our study plan where we recommend 5 days on nothing but SC -- before moving onto CR and then RC.

Here is a sample SC video to help you start your journey: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

Best of luck - we are here to help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@EMPOWERGMATRICHC
Thanks a ton for your guidance and support :)

Intern
Intern
Send PM
@GMATPILLBILL
Thank you for your response and guidance :)

Intern
Intern
Send PM
How can I receive my official score report? I took GMAT on 3rd Sep. I couldn't figure it out on the mba.com

GMAT Club Bot