GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tell your manager about GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Tell your manager about GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 17:16
Did you tell your manager that you're studying for the GMAT? Some of my friends do but I'm not sure I'm ready to do that.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Tell your manager about GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 17:21
I would not unless you have a strong relationship or not hoping or planning for promotion. Otherwise you will signal that you are planning to leave will be passed on for promotions and other opportunities. It’s probably a little premature to let other people at your work know what you’re planning to go to business school. Your timing may be diff should you get a promotion or move to a new project or meet the love of your life.

I would wait somewhat. Perhaps until you are done with gmat and it is time to start working on apps and getting letters of recommendations.... Kind a like parents wait for a few months before announcing they’re expecting

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

BSchool Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 23:41
lilypond789 wrote:
Did you tell your manager that you're studying for the GMAT? Some of my friends do but I'm not sure I'm ready to do that.

This should be completely your call depending upon the nature of your manager and the circumstances of your employment. I would second bb's reply above. If you have a strong relationship with your manager and if he is not going to react unfavorably, you can let him know.

I informed my supervisor about the GMAT. And that was because he is a gem of a person. He had given GRE himself during his days and had got an offer from a very good university. He could not attend though because of financial and family constraints. So, he knew what I was trying to achieve and was very helpful. Not only did he support me in my endeavor, but also he gave me a glorifying LOR for applications. During my preparation too he allowed me some lax time every day to study. He would regularly keep tab of my practice test scores. When I faltered on the actual GMAT, he was very supportive.

If that's the case with you too, you can inform your manager. Else, be wary of spreading the news. After I got a wonderful score in GMAT, the news in my office spread like wildfire, and I must admit this had repercussions. Not everyone will digest/favor your pursuance of MBA. So, think over it and make an informed decision. You have to ensure that no negatives come out of you breaking the news to your manager/supervisor. Also, in case you confide in her/him, she/he should keep this to herself/himself at least until you are at a stage where you can confidently break this news to everybody (that may well be after securing an admit or the time of verification of your employment credentials post admit). Hope you get my point.

12345aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ67890

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 01:55
lilypond789 wrote:

I'll share my experience. My manager knew about my plans about 3-months in advance. So though I was in another country working out of the client's office, my manager allowed me to fly back a week before the exam. He also insisted I take a day off before the exam to relax and refresh my mind before the day. I took the exam and was back on a flight to the client's office in a couple of days.

So yeah telling him/her in advance can be helpful too. But it totally depends on your comfort level with him/her. If you have a good relationship and think he'll be supportive, then you can do it.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 02:16
nishantd88 wrote:
I'll share my experience. My manager knew about my plans about 3-months in advance. So though I was in another country working out of the client's office, my manager allowed me to fly back a week before the exam. He also insisted I take a day off before the exam to relax and refresh my mind before the day. I took the exam and was back on a flight to the client's office in a couple of days.

So yeah telling him/her in advance can be helpful too. But it totally depends on your comfort level with him/her. If you have a good relationship and think he'll be supportive, then you can do it.
It's great to see that your manager allowed you to take a day off before your exam. It's very important for test takers to get adequate rest before they take the exam.

On a more general note, if you have a good manager, it's a good idea to loop him or her in as early as possible, so that your manager doesn't get blindsided by your plans.

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Tell your manager about GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 10:58
lilypond789 wrote:

Hi,

When I first planned for the GMAT, I had one of the worst managers to work with. But I was determined enough to tell him about my plan. At the 20th day of my posting under him, I told him that I want to join a coaching institute to prepare for GMAT. To my surprise, he said, all right, go ahead. Then slowly I told in his ears :-o - I want 2 months leave. He said, it's alright, but don't tell others that you are on leave for studies. So, it was a dark secret. I respect him only because of this...Otherwise :lol: . When I came back after two months, most people had thought that I am gone from company.

It is better to be clear in mind while preparing for GMAT. So better tell your manager about plans of higher education IMO. Your productivity will always be low, if you prepare under stress.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Tell your manager about GMAT &nbs [#permalink] 17 Jul 2018, 10:58

Tell your manager about GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap