Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:08 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22074 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Terrible verbal surprise on test day [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
However, I was shocked to receive a 630 score with a quant 46 and a verbal 31!

Consider getting the ESR. May provide some helpful insight into what happened. For practice questions, using questions from the Official-Guide 2022 would be a solid choice. If you feel you fundamentals are solid, consider working on your solving approach. May boost your score a bit. Had a 6-hour student for example who went from a V31 to a V40 in about 30 days on a retake. Perhaps work with a study buddy who is really strong on Verbal to see how they approach the section/certain questions. Might be worth replaying what happened during the exam and thinking over whether there was anything you did differently than your mocks. Were you re-reading or double-checking things a lot more, for example.

5 Verbal tips
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi HaSmamit,

I see that you used OG questions for practice but what materials did you use to actually learn the content?

Hi Scott,
Thank you for your reply. To learn the content, I used the materials of highly-recommended local private tutors - so no big names there. Unfortunately I had to switch verbal tutors during the process, maybe that contributed to what happened on test day..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Terrible verbal surprise on test day [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi HaSmamit,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com

Hi Rich,
1. I've been studying for six months now, usually between 15 and 20 hours every week.
2. + 3. Original content by private tutors to learn the material, OG GMAT CLUB questions to implement it. I took the following mocks in the two weeks before the test, within 3 days of each other, in the following order:

GMAC - 760, V47 Q49
MGMAT - 630, V35 Q40
MGMAT - 650, V36 Q43
GMAC - 770, V46 Q48

Actual test - 630, V31 Q46 IR7 AWA6

I need a 715+

5. Top schools, second round of this year.

Please see the ESR attached. I also have some issues with timing in quant - do you have any suggestions what to focus on to cut times?

Thank you very very much. :please:

Originally posted by HaSmamit on 12 Aug 2023, 07:52.
Last edited by HaSmamit on 12 Aug 2023, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi HaSmamit,

To start, since you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to implement those suggestions, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

I've sent you a PM with an analsysis of your ESR and some additional notes and questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Bot