GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Test Violation - Advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retake   Tips   

Intern
Intern
B
Test Violation - Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 21:16
All,

Thanks very much in advance for the time and help here.

My first GMAT test was cut short today and I'm likely to receive a "P" on my score report for a policy violation because I checked the time on my phone during a break at my locker. The proctor came running over and told me my test was over and that she'd be writing a case about the incident due to my cell phone usage. I admit that what transpired was completely my fault as I should have 1) either deduced from simple logic that using your phone in any fashion during an exam (break included) is against test rules or 2) read the test rules before I signed them.

Moving forward, I want to take the best course of action and am looking for advice. Does anyone know / have any opinions regarding the following?

1) What the appeals process is like? I don't have a case since I clearly broke test rules, but I nevertheless would like to try
2) How detrimental a "P" on your score report is to top business schools (i.e. schools that are so selective that they can be as picky as they would like and can stump you for any weaknesses in you application)
3) Is the alternative of switching to the GRE, so that this "P" can no longer be viewed, is a good one knowing that I have put in 4 months of GMAT studying and been scoring 730+ on my practice exams (I believe I can get a 720+ on the real exams with a few tries). Is taking the GRE viewed negatively at all, and would it make sense to make this change just so that I don't have "P" on my score report?

Apologies for the long question, and thank you very much for the help.

All the best,
David
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Test Violation - Advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 08:13
bluelion150 wrote:
All,

Thanks very much in advance for the time and help here.

My first GMAT test was cut short today and I'm likely to receive a "P" on my score report for a policy violation because I checked the time on my phone during a break at my locker. The proctor came running over and told me my test was over and that she'd be writing a case about the incident due to my cell phone usage. I admit that what transpired was completely my fault as I should have 1) either deduced from simple logic that using your phone in any fashion during an exam (break included) is against test rules or 2) read the test rules before I signed them.

Moving forward, I want to take the best course of action and am looking for advice. Does anyone know / have any opinions regarding the following?

1) What the appeals process is like? I don't have a case since I clearly broke test rules, but I nevertheless would like to try
2) How detrimental a "P" on your score report is to top business schools (i.e. schools that are so selective that they can be as picky as they would like and can stump you for any weaknesses in you application)
3) Is the alternative of switching to the GRE, so that this "P" can no longer be viewed, is a good one knowing that I have put in 4 months of GMAT studying and been scoring 730+ on my practice exams (I believe I can get a 720+ on the real exams with a few tries). Is taking the GRE viewed negatively at all, and would it make sense to make this change just so that I don't have "P" on my score report?

Apologies for the long question, and thank you very much for the help.

All the best,
David
This incident can be easily explained away and should not affect you in any way. Schools understand the different types of violations, and will not hold this P against you. S would be a different story, of course.

1. You can call Pearson customer support (or send them an email), though I really don't think that they will go back on this.
2. If you have some specific schools in mind, you can send them an email describing the situation and asking them for their point of view on this. Send the email from an email ID that isn't yours if you want :)
3. Take the GMAT, especially if you've been getting 730+ scores on your GMATPreps.
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 18:55
Oh wow, that stinks, man. I think given your situation, switching to the GRE may be a good idea. When do you plan to apply to schools?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 09:09
To be on better side, you should go for GRE. But first try point 1 and 2 given by Ajitesharun.
Re: Test Violation - Advice   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2019, 09:09

Test Violation - Advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics