Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1665 [19]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: The advent of chemical fertilizers led the farmers in a certain [#permalink]
When i prethink about this question , i got E as if farmers can do both at the same time.
But as soon as i read option D, i marked option D due to reverse causality.
Option D is already mentioned in the the argument - " As a result, the soil structure in a typical farm field in the region is poor"
So E is correct.
A,B,C are irrelevant. These all options can be true but we need that option which has to be true.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Re: The advent of chemical fertilizers led the farmers in a certain [#permalink]
AshutoshB wrote:
The advent of chemical fertilizers led the fanners in a certain region to abandon the practice of periodically growing a ""green-manure"" crop, such as alfalfa, in a field to rejuvenate its soil. As a result, the soil structure in a typical farm field in the region is poor. So to significantly improve the soil structure, fanners will need to abandon the use of chemical fertilizers.

The argument relies on the assumption that

(A) most, if not all, farmers in the region who abandon the use of chemical fertilizers will periodically grow alfalfa

(B) applying chemical fertilizers to green-manure crops, such as alfalfa, has no positive effect on their growth

(C) the most important factor influencing the soil quality of farm field is soil structure

(D) chemical fertilizers themselves have a destructive effect on the soil structure of farm fields

(E) many, if not all, fanners in the region will not grow green-manure crops unless they abandon the use of chemical fertilizers

LSAT 73

Use of Chemical fertilizers ------> Abandon Green Manure

Green Manure -----> Rejuvenate Soil

No Green Manure ----> Poor Soil

To improve Soil ----> Plant Green Manure

To improve Soil -----> Abandon Chemical Fertilizers

Hence, To improve Soil -----> Plant Green Manure ----> Abandon Chemical Fertilizers

Using POE,

(A) most, if not all, farmers in the region who abandon the use of chemical fertilizers will periodically grow alfalfa - Close, but doesn't mention Green manure. Only an example of Green Manure, so we can use that as a blanket for all Green Manure. Incorrect.

(B) applying chemical fertilizers to green-manure crops, such as alfalfa, has no positive effect on their growth - Irrelevant

(C) the most important factor influencing the soil quality of farm field is soil structure - Irrelveant

(D) chemical fertilizers themselves have a destructive effect on the soil structure of farm fields - Yes but how will the farmers improve soil structure, hence it leads only half the conclusion.

(E) many, if not all, fanners in the region will not grow green-manure crops unless they abandon the use of chemical fertilizers - Correct.

Answer E.

Thanks,
GyM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
debabrata1234 wrote:
(E) many, if not all, fanners in the region will not grow green-manure crops unless they abandon the use of chemical fertilizers
if farmers growth both alfafa and use CF, then there is a chance soil structure will improve. hence its a correct answer

The reason why E is correct because it assumes that either CF or Alfafa should be used, not both. What you are saying is that both should be used at the same time; This breaks the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Tuck '24
Send PM
AshutoshB wrote:
The advent of chemical fertilizers led the fanners in a certain region to abandon the practice of periodically growing a ""green-manure"" crop, such as alfalfa, in a field to rejuvenate its soil. As a result, the soil structure in a typical farm field in the region is poor. So to significantly improve the soil structure, fanners will need to abandon the use of chemical fertilizers.

The argument relies on the assumption that

(A) most, if not all, farmers in the region who abandon the use of chemical fertilizers will periodically grow alfalfa

(B) applying chemical fertilizers to green-manure crops, such as alfalfa, has no positive effect on their growth

(C) the most important factor influencing the soil quality of farm field is soil structure

(D) chemical fertilizers themselves have a destructive effect on the soil structure of farm fields

LSAT 73

Conclusion: to significantly improve the soil structure, fanners will need to abandon the use of chemical fertilizers.

So mostly the answer boils down to option D and E.
D, while negated, means Chemical fertilizers themselves do not have a destructive effect on soil structure of farm fields
This looks like destroying the conclusion.....destructive effect means significant negative effect which goes well with conclusion significantly improve soil structure.....scope of the argument is strong and goes well with conclusion wording....
vs.
E while negated means many fanners in the region will grow green manure crops unless they abandon the use of chemical fertilizers. not sure how does this destroys the conclusion

GMATNinja any tips on this
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts