Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: The Chicago GSB Slide Show [#permalink]
Kudos
I got accepted at Chicago, and I think that my presentation made a difference. I think Rhyme hit the nail on the head when he said that the worst thing you could do is repeat info that people already know. I think it's the most important advice one could give you. Just put yourself in the reviewer's shoes: he / she'll be bored to death if you tell him for the 15th time that you were captain of your curling team. Also, it doesn't have to be technically perfect (pitch book style), people don't really care (unless it's a mess, then it's bad), the message is essential.

My approach was the following: I determined the points and affirmations that I wanted to get through, and based on that I allocated these messages in different essays. One example: I travelled a lot in my life (not as a tourist); that was one of the key messages I wanted to transmit. I used one of the slides to show on a world map all the place I had been to. I also used photos to show my passions - classic music, soccer, food & wine among others. I didn't mention this at all in the other essays.

Once you know what you want to transmit as a message, it becomes really fun to make! It was by far my most enjoyable moment in the whole process - that and getting accepted obviously :-D

PS: one last comment: I heard that a lot of presentations were frowned upon because of "inappropriate content" (drunk photos trying to demonstrate that you're a cool, social guy for example). I don't know if it's an American thing (people in general are more conservative on certain jokes and aspects of life), but definitively keep that in mind.

PPS: you made me want to check my presentation again; when I look at it it was by far my best "essay" for any school that I applied for. If you do this right it could make a big difference, especially considering the fact that I get the impression that a lot of people blow the presentation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
what will an artsy black and white photo of yourself add to your application? This isn't a modeling agency ha But seriously, you have such limited space to convey information so you need to do it wisely. For example put an animal on each page and describe what traits you and the animal share etc. Something that adds insight into you that you haven't showed in the other essays. Considering Chicago's essays this year, this is valuable real estate.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Thanks rhyme!! That's really helpful and good to know.

I know that my current version of the PPT is pretty boring - I have a feeling that the "Who am I? what do i do?" theme is pretty blah. I'll take another pass with some of your suggestions :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I was actually mostly joking about the artsy b&w photos (its just sort of what naturally came to mind when I heard slide show about myself). I liked the suggestions that rhyme mentioned above.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I should probably clarify - the examples I listed above werent intended to be examples of what to do, just examples of what people have done, and I intended to provide those with the cautionary caveat that although "cutesy", they often don't say much about the candidate, or just repeat things that were otherwise said.

It's certainly fine to go with something cute like the above, but just make sure it doesn't actually dominate the purpose or content of the ppt. I've seen some PPTs with no "theme" that actually did a great job of describing who the person is, what they enjoy, what their character and personality is like and how they would fit well the GSB. In fact, I'd even say that, in general, the ones that skip over the cheesy hook do a better job than those that don't.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
AZCFA wrote:
I don't think you have to look very far to find an artsy black and white photo of yourself. Thanks to your self-promoting logo, I have one of you too.

You black and whited my avatar image? That's kind of creepy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Leverandon wrote:
AZCFA wrote:
I don't think you have to look very far to find an artsy black and white photo of yourself. Thanks to your self-promoting logo, I have one of you too.

You black and whited my avatar image? That's kind of creepy.

Haha!

However, one could also argue that putting a poseur photo of you on a public forum is pretty silly too :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Audio is right, I've heard many times that some people sent inappropriate content such as people really drunk, sometimes photos of people on a beach with bathing suit (really that a BUSINESS SCHOOL, hehehe), etc. No wonder why some people got dings.

They showed us some of the Presentations and I could see a little bit everything: from very simple ones but with powerful content, to extremely elaborated. I believe that they are not kidding with applicants when they say that they are not looking for Power Point skills, though I believe that in a tie, they would get the best visual one.

Follow rhymes advice and don't repeat what you already told them on other essays, I did repeat a little though, but went deeper on what I wanted to tell them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
Do you have a hobby? I based my presentation on demonstrating to them my hobby and how it represents who I am - things that can't be shown through my work or academic experience, but WHO I am as a person aside from awards, promotions, grades. Think about what makes you tick, what drives you.

What if your hobbies are somewhat inane? As an example, I used to collect sneakers. You know, like the stereotypical Air Jordan fan. Does stuff like this look stupid? Or is the humorous angle interesting?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Sorry, but that strikes me as a bit too unconventional. That might work if you tied it in with your most memorable experiences of growing up in the 80's, and how the Air Jordans eventually turned out to have an iconic standing in 80's fashion or something like that. That might make it more interesting, and personal.

But I don't know, didn't someone here point out recently that Rose said something along the lines of the slideshow still being a part of an MBA application, and applicants who went overboard with their creativity (and didn't talk about themselves enough) were doing themselves no favour.

Tarmac wrote:
What if your hobbies are somewhat inane? As an example, I used to collect sneakers. You know, like the stereotypical Air Jordan fan. Does stuff like this look stupid? Or is the humorous angle interesting?
GMAT Club Bot