Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:36 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [4]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [1]
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2771 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Send PM
The Constitutional Convention was called in no small part for addressi [#permalink]
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
sarphant123 wrote:
Kaplan's Official Explanation -

In "their debate," the original sentence incorrectly uses the plural pronoun "their" to refer to the body of "the Constitutional Convention." Another problem is that "called … for addressing" uses an idiomatically incorrect preposition. A meeting is called to address an issue. Finally, the word "if" is used when a decision is between two choices (to count or not to count slaves); the correct word in this situation is "whether."

After eliminating (A), look at the remaining choices. Each starts with a different proposition. Only correct answer (C) begins with the idiomatically correct "to address," and this wording also preserves the intended meaning of the sentence.

If this detail escaped your notice, there are other differences among the choices. (B), (D), and (E) all use plural pronouns—"their" or "they"—to refer to the Convention. (C) avoids using a pronoun, substituting "the debate." In addition, (D) and (E) keep "if" instead of using "whether," so they can be eliminated for this reason as well.

TAKEAWAY: Even if you're not sure about whether an answer choice is idiomatically correct, other errors can guide you to the right answer. In this case, it was important to make sure pronouns agreed in number with their antecedent.

@yashikaaggarwal, Its Great that you post the official Explanation. But Aren't you suppose to reveal POE later, after other students try solving question by themselves?

Thanks for making this better. You mean "the explanation" to be revealed later or the OA?

In the either way, i feel it is okay to have the OA and the explanation by the same source posted at the same time in that a person can check and try to understand the explanation immediately after attempting it and then post relevant doubts if any left.
But, again that's my opinion.Feel free to share your point and we can do whatever it best for the community.

Cheers!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The Constitutional Convention was called in no small part for addressi [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Constitutional Convention was called in no small part for addressi [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts