Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [4]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: The cost of 22 CDs, 25 pens & 7 erasers is $ 142. What is the cost of [#permalink]
mikioso wrote:
the answer is c

please analyse the question carefully..... I have put it under 700+ level questions...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: The cost of 22 CDs, 25 pens & 7 erasers is $ 142. What is the cost of [#permalink]
The answer is C.

Given in question: \(22x + 25y + 7z = 142\)

Asked to find: \(x+y+z\)

Statement 1:

\(7x+6z = 23\)

Clearly this is insufficient. There are many values of x and y which can satisfy this equation. So we are down to B C or E for answer choices

Statement 2:

\(5x+6y = 31\)

This is also insufficient by itself.

So now putting both together and using initial equation from question.

\(22x + 25y + 7z = 142\)
\(7x+6z = 23\)
\(5x+6y = 31\)

Three equations and three variables. Solvable. Hence the answer is C.

apex1umt wrote:
Question: The cost of 22 CDs, 25 pens & 7 erasers is $ 142. What is the cost of 1 CD, 1 pen & 1 eraser?

1. The cost of 7 CDs & 6 erasers is $ 23.
2. The cost of 5 CDs & 6 pens is $ 31.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I still insist, please have a careful look at the question...

Moreover, it's NOT C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
B, seems to be the answer as per hemantbedi's explanation.

However can someone give me a strong fundamental concept for a three variable equation, which tells when the three variable equation can be solved and when it cannot be solved.
I know that a 3-variable equation can be solved for sure if 3 equations are available. But when 2 equations are available it can sometimes be solved as shown here or sometimes cannot be solved.

SO HOW DO i FIGURE THIS OUT ???

Please help.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Good solution David Archuleta. I looked for tricks to manipulate, but completely forgot that I could commonly factorize the 7 from this equation. Good job, +1 from me.

Devashish: I think only practice can help you solve the equations. I think the easiest way to start practicing for these problems is to get the given equation in terms of what you want. In this case:

You want \(x+y+z\) and you're given \(22x+25y+7z\) The only way you can split this into something of the form \(a(x+y+z)\) is by taking the 7 out common and breaking it down as suggested.

I'm afraid there's no real shortcut guarantee to getting this type of problem, only practice helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
devashish wrote:

I know that a 3-variable equation can be solved for sure if 3 equations are available.
But when 2 equations are available it can sometimes be solved as shown here or sometimes cannot be solved.

We must have 3 equations to get 3 variables but this question doesn't ask to determine 3 vars, it just asks sum of 3 vars
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
@David: Thanks a very obvious point, and still missed all the time.
@whiplash2411: Thanks, it makes sense and should be the starting point the next time I start solving a 3-variable equation.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [0]
Send PM
devashish wrote:

However can someone give me a strong fundamental concept for a three variable equation, which tells when the three variable equation can be solved and when it cannot be solved.
I know that a 3-variable equation can be solved for sure if 3 equations are available. But when 2 equations are available it can sometimes be solved as shown here or sometimes cannot be solved.

SO HOW DO i FIGURE THIS OUT ???

Please help.

Hi,

here's the rule:

To solve for a system of n variables, one requires n distinct, linear, equations.

Accordingly, if you have n distinct linear equations for n variables, you can answer any question about the system.

However, some questions can potentially be answered with fewer than n distinct linear equations.

First, if a question just asks about part of the system, you may not need the full number of equations.

For example:

Quote:
If \(x + y + z = 25\), what's the value of \(x\)?

(1) \(y + z = 12\)

Even though we only have 2 equations for our 3 unknowns, since statement (1) eliminates both y and z from the first equation, it's sufficient to solve for x.

Second, if a question asks about a relationship among variables, rather than the value of variables, you may not need the full number of equations.

For example:

Quote:
What's the value of \(3x - 2y + 9z\)?

(1) \(6x + 18z - 12 = 4y\)

Here we only have 1 equation and 3 variables, but since we can rearrange (1) to:

\(6x - 4y + 18z = 12\)

and since we can then divide by 2 to get:

\(3x - 2y + 9z = 6\)

statement (1) is sufficient alone to answer the question. The key here was to rearrange the equation in (1) to make it easy to compare to the question and then to note that the equation in (1) is just a multiple of the expression in the question.

The "number of equations vs number of unknowns" rule is, undoubtedly, THE most powerful rule for data sufficiency. The better you understand the rule, its exceptions and its application the less time it will take you to confidently answer many DS questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The answer is B.
If x, y, and z respectively the unit price of CD, pen, and eraser, we have: 22x+25y+7z=142$
We would like to know the price of 1CD, 1 pen, and 1 eraser, in other words x+y+z ?
The first equation can be written as 7*(x+y+z)+(15x+18y)=142$
So if we know how much 15x+18y is, the question can be answered.

On the other hand, statement 2 give us 5x+6y=31, or 15x+18y=93.
Therefore statement 2 is sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Even I thought of C but after reading the following comment:

apex1umt wrote:
I still insist, please have a careful look at the question...

Moreover, it's NOT C

I looked the question in a different way and came up with B.

Nice question and nice comment tooo :) ....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi.. Guys... I think you have got the exact funda of the question.........

Moreover I am recently done with my GMAT and have scored a 710 with 51 (Quant) & 34(verbal) and 5 in AWA...
Though 34 seems or rather is low, but I have no more patience to give the exam again.... I would rather better the profile then appear again..

Best of luck to you guys....
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92945 posts