Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3664 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Re: The cost of drug research and development is staggering. [#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
What does the bolded part mean ? I am unclear on what exactly it means and am afraid that sentence may hold the key to the answer.

prasannar wrote:
The cost of drug research and development is staggering. Drug companies have recently argued that this is a good reason to lengthen the patent on new drugs and disallow the importation of drugs from Canada. But some senior citizens advocate groups have argued that the high cost of research and development is a good reason to allow generic and, perhaps, imported drugs to benefit those with fixed incomes.

Which statement, if true, best resolves this seeming paradox?

(A) The advocate groups are aware that drugs from Canada are poorly regulated and may be dangerous.
(B) The cost of medical care has increased greatly in recent years.
(C) Drug companies invest very little money in research and development.
(D) It is common knowledge that drug companies will not pay for extensive research programs if they do not anticipate any a return on their investment.
(E) The advocate groups also claim the high costs of research should be supported by government grants.

It means that domestic drugs are too expensive, so the seniors want cheaper generic and imported drugs to be allowed.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
But there's nothing in the first statement about "generic drugs" ? Where's the contradiction / paradox ?

carlson2010 wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
What does the bolded part mean ? I am unclear on what exactly it means and am afraid that sentence may hold the key to the answer.

prasannar wrote:
The cost of drug research and development is staggering. Drug companies have recently argued that this is a good reason to lengthen the patent on new drugs and disallow the importation of drugs from Canada. But some senior citizens advocate groups have argued that the high cost of research and development is a good reason to allow generic and, perhaps, imported drugs to benefit those with fixed incomes.

Which statement, if true, best resolves this seeming paradox?

(A) The advocate groups are aware that drugs from Canada are poorly regulated and may be dangerous.
(B) The cost of medical care has increased greatly in recent years.
(D) It is common knowledge that drug companies will not pay for extensive research programs if they do not anticipate any a return on their investment.
(E) The advocate groups also claim the high costs of research should be supported by government grants.

It means that domestic drugs are too expensive, so the seniors want cheaper generic and imported drugs to be allowed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The drug companies call for longer patents. If a company has a patent on a drug, other companies are not allowed to create generic versions. In other words, the drug companies want to restrict competition while the seniors want to encourage competition, two opposite solutions for the same problem of expensive research costs.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks carlson, when you explain it this way it makes some sense. However, I feel that the question itself is extremely poorly worded and leaves scope for too much interpretation.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
carlson2010 wrote:
I say E.

Drug companies=We need quotas, etc., because our research costs are too high and we cannot make the money needed to cover our investments if there are cheap drugs coming in from Canada.

Old people=We need cheap drugs because drugs are too expensive now.

In other words, both are complaining about the high cost of research. The paradox lies in the fact that the two groups suggest opposite solutions for the same problem.

If the old people were also arguing for a government grant to help pay for research, this would solve the paradox by allowing the two groups to agree on one solution for the same problem. The drug companies could cover their investments and the old people could get their cheap drugs.

Carlson,
I like your reasoning! And I think you must have some useful tips for this kind of question! May you share it? Admittedly, I am weak at paradox question!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
Thanks carlson, when you explain it this way it makes some sense. However, I feel that the question itself is extremely poorly worded and leaves scope for too much interpretation.

I agree.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sondenso wrote:
carlson2010 wrote:
I say E.

Drug companies=We need quotas, etc., because our research costs are too high and we cannot make the money needed to cover our investments if there are cheap drugs coming in from Canada.

In other words, both are complaining about the high cost of research. The paradox lies in the fact that the two groups suggest opposite solutions for the same problem.

If the old people were also arguing for a government grant to help pay for research, this would solve the paradox by allowing the two groups to agree on one solution for the same problem. The drug companies could cover their investments and the old people could get their cheap drugs.

Carlson,
I like your reasoning! And I think you must have some useful tips for this kind of question! May you share it? Admittedly, I am weak at paradox question!

This question wasn't the best example of a paradox. A paradox is usually something that is self-contradictory. In this problem the "paradox" was simply that two groups had opposite solutions for the same problem. I wouldn't really even call this situation a "paradox", its more like a disagreement.

Anyway, to answer your question, whenever I see a "paradox" question, I try to simplify it as much as possible to clearly see where the contradiction is. After that the answer that solves the contradiction just kind of jumps out. In this problem, there wasn't really a self contradiction, so I went with the answer that would align the two parties wishes, solving the "paradox" (if you want to call it that).

I don't know if this explanation helps much, but that's how I do it. Hope it helps.

Anyway, what is the OA? Am I even right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [0]
Send PM
Thought that D is the answer.
But after looking through the explanation in this thread, I think that E may be the right answer.

Please provide the OA for this question.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [0]
Send PM
carlson2010 wrote:
I say E.

Love you explanation. +1
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bkk145 wrote:
carlson2010 wrote:
I say E.

Love you explanation. +1

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
I disagree that its E.

The paradox is that drug research cost alot of money so drug companies want to increase the length of patents and keep drug from canada out. But senior citizens advocates argue that the high research costs are the reason we should allow generic drugs and drugs from canada.

In other words: Why would the advocates argue to buy generic and Canadian drugs if it would hurt

If we go with E then were saying that the government should pay for research and development reducing cost. If that is the case then the senior citizens advocates would argue NOT to buy generic drug and drugs from canada. Why would you advocate for the government to pay for research of brand name drugs and then tell people to buy generic and canadian drugs that aren't supported by the grants.

The drug companies are trying to get trick everyone. The research and development is high but the drug companies actually spend very little actual money on this. So they are actually trying to make everyone believe that this is a high cost when it is not. If we buy into it then we allow them to increase patents lengths and decrease competition allowing them to keep making increased profits.

Remember the drug companies are arguing to increase patents and decrease competition. The advocates are arguing to do the exact oposite.

The advocates realize this and say lets allow seniors to buy generic drugs and drugs from canada because we know the drug compies dont actualy spend a lot of money on research and they are using that to inflate the price.

Drug companies = Research and development is high. We need to reduce competition to compensate.

Old People = Reseaerch and development is high. We need to increase competition lower prices.

In other words: Why would the advocates argue to buy generic and Canadian drugs if it would hurt the American drug companies. The answer is that it wont.

The drug compnies don't spend a lot of money on reasearch and development.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Answer choice: E

A - Nothing said about the quality of drugs from Canada

B - Not necessarily because of high R&D cost

C - Goes against what is said in the premise

D - Supports the stand taken by the drug companies

E - if this true, will help keep the cost of R&D of drugs thereby reducing the medical bill of the needy people.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts