Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [54]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [15]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [5]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29891 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
mikemcgarry wrote:
Attachment:
shaded number line.jpeg

The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entirety. This region is delineated by which of the following inequalities?

(A) 10 < |x + 10| < 80

(B) 10 < |x – 100| < 80

(C) |x – 20| < 70

(D) |x – 20| < | x – 90|

(E) |x – 55| < 35

Another approach is to check whether possible solutions for each answer choice match up with the solution shown on the number line.

(A) 10 < |x + 10| < 80
One possible solution to this inequality is x = 5
However, the number line does NOT include x = 5 as a solution
ELIMINATE A

(B) 10 < |x – 100| < 80
One possible solution to this inequality is x = 130
However, the number line does NOT include x = 130 as a solution
ELIMINATE B

(C) |x – 20| < 70
One possible solution to this inequality is x = 0
However, the number line does NOT include x = 0 as a solution
ELIMINATE C

(D) |x – 20| < | x – 90|
One possible solution to this inequality is x = 10
However, the number line does NOT include x = 10 as a solution
ELIMINATE D

By the process of elimination, the correct answer is E

Cheers,
Brent
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire [#permalink]
The range we are looking for is 90>=x>=20. Both B and E offer that range. Why is B incorrect? Can an expert please advise?

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
OreoShake wrote:
The range we are looking for is 90>=x>=20. Both B and E offer that range. Why is B incorrect? Can an expert please advise?

Thank you

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

We are looking for an inequality that expresses exactly that range--an inequality that includes every single point on that purple line and excludes every single point not on the purpose line. (E) does this perfectly.

The problem with (B) is that it certainly includes everything on the purple line, but it also includes a bunch of other points that are not on the line. For example, the points x = 100 and x = 150 both satisfy the inequality in (B), but these are points not included in the purple region.

Under-inclusion and over-inclusion are opposites, but they are both problems. We are looking for an exact fit.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank you Mike, I understand your explanation. Would there be any cues in gmat question stem that indicate that we need an exact range? Or are we supposed to infer that for questions that ask you to find a matching range?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
OreoShake wrote:
Thank you Mike, I understand your explanation. Would there be any cues in gmat question stem that indicate that we need an exact range? Or are we supposed to infer that for questions that ask you to find a matching range?

Dear OreoShake,

Mathematics is always about precision 100% of the time. As a general rule, if you are unclear how specific the question wants you to be, an one answer is an exact fit, and the other is not, the exact fit is the right answer.

I don't know if you are familiar with the verb "delineate," a somewhat difficult vocabulary word to appear in a math prompt?
This region is delineated by which of the following inequalities?
If you can't give an exact definition of this word, then that's an impediment to understanding the question.

to delineate - to show the lines around something; hence, to indicate the exact boundaries of something

If you have questions about a GMAT math problem, and you cannot give the exact definition of a word that appears in the prompt, then as part of understanding the problem, you need to go on the web and figure out the exact meaning of that word. Everything in math is precise, including the words used in a problem. You cannot afford to overlook or skip the meaning of a single syllable in a math problem.

Does all this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [4]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Kudos
Perhaps the option E could be looked at like this :
1. For +ve values of x
x-55 < 35, i.e. x<90
2. For -ve values of x
-x + 55 < 35 -->
Adjusting the -ve sign results in x - 55 > -35
i.e. x > 20
So, 20 < x <90
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 202
GMAT Date: 06-13-2017
Send PM
manishtank1988 wrote:
Step one: find the midpoint of the region. The midpoint, halfway between and 20 and 90, is 55. In other words, 20 and 90 have the same distance from 55, a distance of 35. These endpoints are not included, but the region includes all the points that have a distance from from x = 55 that is less than 35. Translating that into math, we get the following:
|x – 55| < 35
Answer = (E)
Source: magoos url provided!!!

What a new perspective to absolute value questions !!!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29891 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
mikemcgarry wrote:
Attachment:
shaded number line.jpeg

The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entirety. This region is delineated by which of the following inequalities?

(A) 10 < |x + 10| < 80

(B) 10 < |x – 100| < 80

(C) |x – 20| < 70

(D) |x – 20| < | x – 90|

(E) |x – 55| < 35

One option is to test each answer choice.

In cases where we must check/test each answer choice, always check the answer choices from E to A, because the correct answer is typically closer to the bottom than to the top. For more on this strategy, see my article: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/han ... -questions

E) |x – 55| < 35
We can apply the rule that says:If |something| < k, then –k < something < k
So, |x – 55| < 35 becomes -35 < x – 55 < 35
Add 55 to all 3 parts to get: 20 < x < 90
Perfect!

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire [#permalink]
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
OreoShake wrote:

Thank you

Dear OreoShake,

We are looking for an inequality that expresses exactly that range--an inequality that includes every single point on that purple line and excludes every single point not on the purpose line. (E) does this perfectly.

The problem with (B) is that it certainly includes everything on the purple line, but it also includes a bunch of other points that are not on the line. For example, the points x = 100 and x = 150 both satisfy the inequality in (B), but these are points not included in the purple region.

Under-inclusion and over-inclusion are opposites, but they are both problems. We are looking for an exact fit.

Does this make sense?

Hey mikemcgarry,
Thank you for such a great question. I looked at the options and intentionally started with options C and E and found option E to have exactly the range, which is asked in the question.

I just wanted to confirm a value that you have mentioned in your explanation above(highlighted in blue). You said point x = 100 and x = 150 satisfies the inequality given in option B, but I am afraid because I couldn't find how x = 100 satisfies the same.
IMO, the range of X in option B should be;
1. 20 < X < 90 (exactly what is being asked in the question) and
2. 110 < X < 180.
Both the above ranges do not include X = 100. Please let me know in case I am going wrong somewhere.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
Send PM
aalekhoza

Isn't the range in B:
1. 110<X<90
2. 20<X<180

?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [2]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Kudos