GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4664
The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 13:29
7
18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

64% (01:11) correct 36% (01:29) wrong based on 562 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
shaded number line.jpeg
shaded number line.jpeg [ 11.14 KiB | Viewed 3723 times ]

The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entirety. This region is delineated by which of the following inequalities?

(A) 10 < |x + 10| < 80

(B) 10 < |x – 100| < 80

(C) |x – 20| < 70

(D) |x – 20| < | x – 90|

(E) |x – 55| < 35


Absolute value inequalities are a rare and challenging category of test questions. This question may look very hard, but with the proper perspective, it is relatively straightforward. For a complete discussion of this question type, as well as the OE for this question, see:
Absolute Value Inequalities

Mike :-)

_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 174
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2016, 15:07
7
5
Step one: find the midpoint of the region. The midpoint, halfway between and 20 and 90, is 55. In other words, 20 and 90 have the same distance from 55, a distance of 35. These endpoints are not included, but the region includes all the points that have a distance from from x = 55 that is less than 35. Translating that into math, we get the following:
|x – 55| < 35
Answer = (E)
Source: magoos url provided!!!
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 204
Location: India
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 11:31
The range we are looking for is 90>=x>=20. Both B and E offer that range. Why is B incorrect? Can an expert please advise?

Thank you
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4664
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 11:55
1
OreoShake wrote:
The range we are looking for is 90>=x>=20. Both B and E offer that range. Why is B incorrect? Can an expert please advise?

Thank you

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

We are looking for an inequality that expresses exactly that range--an inequality that includes every single point on that purple line and excludes every single point not on the purpose line. (E) does this perfectly.

The problem with (B) is that it certainly includes everything on the purple line, but it also includes a bunch of other points that are not on the line. For example, the points x = 100 and x = 150 both satisfy the inequality in (B), but these are points not included in the purple region.

Under-inclusion and over-inclusion are opposites, but they are both problems. We are looking for an exact fit.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 204
Location: India
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 12:24
mikemcgarry wrote:
OreoShake wrote:
The range we are looking for is 90>=x>=20. Both B and E offer that range. Why is B incorrect? Can an expert please advise?

Thank you

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

We are looking for an inequality that expresses exactly that range--an inequality that includes every single point on that purple line and excludes every single point not on the purpose line. (E) does this perfectly.

The problem with (B) is that it certainly includes everything on the purple line, but it also includes a bunch of other points that are not on the line. For example, the points x = 100 and x = 150 both satisfy the inequality in (B), but these are points not included in the purple region.

Under-inclusion and over-inclusion are opposites, but they are both problems. We are looking for an exact fit.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)


Thank you Mike, I understand your explanation. Would there be any cues in gmat question stem that indicate that we need an exact range? Or are we supposed to infer that for questions that ask you to find a matching range?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4664
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 12:45
1
OreoShake wrote:
Thank you Mike, I understand your explanation. Would there be any cues in gmat question stem that indicate that we need an exact range? Or are we supposed to infer that for questions that ask you to find a matching range?

Dear OreoShake,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Mathematics is always about precision 100% of the time. As a general rule, if you are unclear how specific the question wants you to be, an one answer is an exact fit, and the other is not, the exact fit is the right answer.

I don't know if you are familiar with the verb "delineate," a somewhat difficult vocabulary word to appear in a math prompt?
This region is delineated by which of the following inequalities?
If you can't give an exact definition of this word, then that's an impediment to understanding the question.

to delineate - to show the lines around something; hence, to indicate the exact boundaries of something

If you have questions about a GMAT math problem, and you cannot give the exact definition of a word that appears in the prompt, then as part of understanding the problem, you need to go on the web and figure out the exact meaning of that word. Everything in math is precise, including the words used in a problem. You cannot afford to overlook or skip the meaning of a single syllable in a math problem.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 32
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 07:20
2
Perhaps the option E could be looked at like this :
1. For +ve values of x
x-55 < 35, i.e. x<90
2. For -ve values of x
-x + 55 < 35 -->
Adjusting the -ve sign results in x - 55 > -35
i.e. x > 20
So, 20 < x <90
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Apr 2011
Posts: 32
GMAT Date: 06-13-2017
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 02:20
manishtank1988 wrote:
Step one: find the midpoint of the region. The midpoint, halfway between and 20 and 90, is 55. In other words, 20 and 90 have the same distance from 55, a distance of 35. These endpoints are not included, but the region includes all the points that have a distance from from x = 55 that is less than 35. Translating that into math, we get the following:
|x – 55| < 35
Answer = (E)
Source: magoos url provided!!!


What a new perspective to absolute value questions !!!!!
Re: The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 02:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The dark purple region on the number line above is shown in its entire

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.