Last visit was: 24 May 2024, 04:26 It is currently 24 May 2024, 04:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93447
Own Kudos [?]: 626273 [5]
Given Kudos: 81954
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Joined: 03 Oct 2022
Posts: 89
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V34
Director
Director
Joined: 26 Jan 2019
Posts: 634
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [4]
Given Kudos: 118
Location: India
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 10 Aug 2021
Posts: 374
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Re: The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve [#permalink]
I think none is correct, as BF1 is the main conclusion - this is no problem.
But I think BF2 is an example to justify the conclusion. Anybody can explain why BF2 weakens the conclusion?
Director
Director
Joined: 26 Jan 2019
Posts: 634
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Location: India
Send PM
Re: The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve [#permalink]
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
I think none is correct, as BF1 is the main conclusion - this is no problem.
But I think BF2 is an example to justify the conclusion. Anybody can explain why BF2 weakens the conclusion?


The American Medical Association evaded the ethical problem (Argument's opinion - Conclusion)
It can be argued that when doctors use their stethoscopes to indicate whether the electric chair has done its job, they are assisting the executioner. (Author's opinion - Questioning the conclusion)

BF2 is stating that the AMA could not completely evade the ethical problem (conclusion in BF1). Hence it questions the conclusion.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 10 Aug 2021
Posts: 374
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Re: The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve [#permalink]
sanjitscorps18 wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
I think none is correct, as BF1 is the main conclusion - this is no problem.
But I think BF2 is an example to justify the conclusion. Anybody can explain why BF2 weakens the conclusion?


The American Medical Association evaded the ethical problem (Argument's opinion - Conclusion)
It can be argued that when doctors use their stethoscopes to indicate whether the electric chair has done its job, they are assisting the executioner. (Author's opinion - Questioning the conclusion)

BF2 is stating that the AMA could not completely evade the ethical problem (conclusion in BF1). Hence it questions the conclusion.

Posted from my mobile device

Hey bro,sanjitscorps18
How do you comprehend BF2 means AMA could not evade the ethical problem?
Sorry I cannot understand, and my understanding is BF2 is an example case to explain how AMA evades ethical problem. Mind to explain? Thanks
Director
Director
Joined: 26 Jan 2019
Posts: 634
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Location: India
Send PM
Re: The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve [#permalink]
"The American Medical Association, responding to this issue, declared that a doctor should not participate in an execution. But it added that a doctor may determine or certify death in any situation."

By the above line the AMA essentially conveys that they would not participate in the lethal injection execution, however, they could still certify death. Hence the AMA evaded the moral question by not admitting to any direct involvement in the execution.

But, BF2 states that even verifying death implies a direct involvement in execution process. Hence it questions the conclusion represented by BF1. Hope it clarifies.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 10 Aug 2021
Posts: 374
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Re: The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve [#permalink]
sanjitscorps18 wrote:
"The American Medical Association, responding to this issue, declared that a doctor should not participate in an execution. But it added that a doctor may determine or certify death in any situation."

By the above line the AMA essentially conveys that they would not participate in the lethal injection execution, however, they could still certify death. Hence the AMA evaded the moral question by not admitting to any direct involvement in the execution.

But, BF2 states that even verifying death implies a direct involvement in execution process. Hence it questions the conclusion represented by BF1. Hope it clarifies.

Posted from my mobile device


Got you and much thx bro. I know where is my issue - I misunderstood (evade)
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93447
Own Kudos [?]: 626273 [0]
Given Kudos: 81954
Send PM
Re: The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve life, in the act of killing. This issue was much discussed after several states provided for execution by lethal injection. The American Medical Association, responding to this issue, declared that a doctor should not participate in an execution. But it added that a doctor may determine or certify death in any situation. The American Medical Association evaded the ethical problem. It can be argued that when doctors use their stethoscopes to indicate whether the electric chair has done its job, they are assisting the executioner.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second states a position that the argument seeks to oppose.

B. The first provides evidence that has been used to oppose the main conclusion of the argument; the second is that conclusion.

C. The first is a claim that has been used to reach the main conclusion of the argument; the second brings that conclusion into question.

D. The first is a position that the argument accepts; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

E. The first states a conclusion that the argument reaches; the second calls that conclusion into question.

This is a CR Butler Question



Experts' Global Video Explanation:

User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 17376
Own Kudos [?]: 852 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6941 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts