Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [7]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The discovery of the first authenticated biblical scripture [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The discovery of the first authenticated biblical scripture in Anglo-Saxon from an ancient attic in a Manchester suburb could provide important clues of determining, in addition to how, when continental Europeans colonized the British Isles.

A. of determining, in addition to how, when continental Europeans colonized the British Isles --- of determining is a wrong idiom in the context.

B. in the determination of how and when the British Isles were colonized by continental Europeans ----in the determination of is not concise.

C. to determine how continental Europeans colonized the British Isles and when they did --The second is just dangling without completion. In additions, 'they' is rather problematic. 'It' may stand of Europeans or even clues (The discovery of the first authenticated biblical scripture in Anglo-Saxon from an ancient attic in a Manchester suburb could provide important clues
to determine how continental Europeans colonized the British Isles and when the clues did (provide)

D. for determining when the British Isles were colonized by continental Europeans and how they were --- for determining is the correct idiom. However, the second part has the same problems as in C.

E. for determining how and when continental Europeans colonized the British Isles -- Best of the lot with the problems posed in C and D altogether avoided.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 556 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Although provide for is the correct idiom usage but I wouldn't go for it right away without looking all options:

A. of determining, in addition to how, when continental Europeans colonized the British Isles - provide important clues of whenever I see the preposition of, I tend to find a noun after it. e.g. it provided clues of an earthquake. here it is following a clause, hence I will reject this option
B. in the determination of how and when the British Isles were colonized by continental Europeans - Awkward because of passive voice. Also, subtle change in meaning. The discovery provided clues in the determination of seems that the discovery was done just for the clues and not for actual finding
C. to determine how continental Europeans colonized the British Isles and when they did - It makes sense to take the subject or subject + verb common from a parallelism identifier. Never seen such a case where object is taken common
D. for determining when the British Isles were colonized by continental Europeans and how they were - Same as (C)
E. for determining how and when continental Europeans colonized the British Isles - Here how and when is part of a question. You can think how and when as another keyword in wh-family
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts