Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum [#permalink]
and it depends how you role. I bike a lot, so the weight difference is remarkable.

My laptop that died in December was pretty skinny, but the loaner I've had is such a pain in the arse. It's also a question of how well it fits in your bag.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
and it depends how you role. I bike a lot, so the weight difference is remarkable.

My laptop that died in December was pretty skinny, but the loaner I've had is such a pain in the arse. It's also a question of how well it fits in your bag.

Good call. I do plan to cycle to campus most days, so I guess that weight difference will be nice.

Is it the general consensus that the Lenovo Thinkpads are the most durable option for b-schoolers?
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
Decided on 2 just because it's unlikely I'll ever upgrade anyway. He did say, though, that if you're working on Vista, you should get 4g ram for sure, more if you can. 2 would be barely ok.

Hey AAu,

My wife's classmates who bought computers with Vista are having all sorts of problems in Duke's Nursing School. Apparently the IT folks are not transitioning very well from XP. Have you heard about any of these types of issues at Fuqua?

I'm tempted to do Vista w/ 4gb ram, but if there are deeper-rooted issues than just OS speed, I definitely don't want to mess with it. Any input?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
good info!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
The Duke IT guys ain't lovin' Vista. They just think it's a wretched product that's super-buggy. Eventually it will work better, but for now, they're hoping students avoid it. There are some things that just aren't compatible with Vista. I would guess that by next year they'll have it worked out, but I just went ahead and bought XP - easier. I'm not the person who should deal with those initial bugs, you know?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Just found out that Kellogg has this Laptop Purchase program that gives you very good service for a pretty decent computer (I think we can get it cheaper using the current sale plus employee discount, even with the warranty), but they ONLY offer the T61. That sort of turned me off a little, as I refuse to carry a T-series sized laptop around in school, especially during winter in Evanston. Just wanted to put this out there for people to be aware of.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Just found out that Kellogg has this Laptop Purchase program that gives you very good service for a pretty decent computer (I think we can get it cheaper using the current sale plus employee discount, even with the warranty), but they ONLY offer the T61. That sort of turned me off a little, as I refuse to carry a T-series sized laptop around in school, especially during winter in Evanston. Just wanted to put this out there for people to be aware of.

That's it, Kryzak. You're obviously going to Haas now. That T61 deal just blew your Kellogg deal out of the water.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
kryzak wrote:

I'm in the same scenario, Kryzak. I'd like to purchase from the Duke bookstore but they only offer the T-series as well.

After everyone's feedback, I guess I'll have to order an X61 from the Lenovo website.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Bdevil25 wrote:
kryzak wrote:

I'm in the same scenario, Kryzak. I'd like to purchase from the Duke bookstore but they only offer the T-series as well.

After everyone's feedback, I guess I'll have to order an X61 from the Lenovo website.

my experience with the duke bookstore is that they are a LOT more expensive...one of the staff there even told me that when i stopped in after my old one died.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
kryzak wrote:

That's it, Kryzak. You're obviously going to Haas now. That T61 deal just blew your Kellogg deal out of the water.

Haha, even though you're saying this jokingly, the scary thing is, it *is* one of my decision factors between Haas and Kellogg... hahah :P Maybe that will be in my "rejection" letter to Kellogg. "Sorry I decided not to come to Kellogg because you force 80-90% of your students to use T61's instead of X61's." :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
If we organize, we can all make similar ridiculous claims as to why we didn't pick a particular school in our turn-down of places.

e.g. "I am turning you down because you didn't give an ASUS Eee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC) to all matriculating students and insist they use it for classes." (joking) :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
you know what, Kellogg actually says they do NOT support Apple laptops in school and that Kellogg is a "Windows XP/Vista" environment. Imagine how many Apple lovers that would turn off? :P
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
you know what, Kellogg actually says they do NOT support Apple laptops in school and that Kellogg is a "Windows XP/Vista" environment. Imagine how many Apple lovers that would turn off? :P

Duke and UNC are the same way. I haven't heard of any school that openly supports Apple. Given all the issues with Vista, it's a shame they don't support an operating system that actually functions.

On a relatively unrelated note, are there any retail stores that carry Lenovo PCs, or do you have to purchase online and eat the 2-3 week delay on the X61?

It'd be so much easier to buy a Macbook
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
kryzak wrote:

My beloved Macbook is offended by such attitudes (Kellogg's, not yours Kry).

Stanford's not terrific about Mac support, but they grudgingly offer it. With Cupertino a few miles down the road, I don't think they can avoid it :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
haha, I knew an Apple user would be offended... maybe that's the dealbreaker for you terry, and you should put that in your rejection letter to Kellogg. :P

Haas also allows Macs, as long as they run "bootcamp".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Some points of interest/opinions about computers:

- SSD's (solid state drives) are becoming more readily available, cheaper, and larger (from a capacity standpoint). These drives are WAY more reliable (think iPod Nano vs. regular iPod), quicker, and consume less power. Hopefully by this summer, they'll be available for only a small markup over regular HDD's. And besides, who needs 300 gb's? The Lenovo X300 already ships with these standard.

- Vista certainly has its problems, but right now, it's the only MS OS that can handle RAM greater than 3 gb's. Something to consider: do you want a crappy OS now, or a quicker-to-obsolete computer later?

- If you're buying Lenovo, make sure you use the eCoupons website for an additional 5% off!

- 1.5 pounds makes a HUGE difference?! Look, unless you're running half-marathons with these things (which is why the hard drives are breaking, see note #1), save yourself the cash, take a couple trips to the weight room, and move on. My work-issued T61 is great, and I travel a ton.

- I'll talk Apple when they decide to pony up additional mouse buttons and ditch the touchpad. :twisted: IBM/Lenovo UltraNav (the little red stick + the center scroll mouse button) > anything else.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Ah, but I love the touchpad and hate the little joystick :-D

p.s. I'm really not looking to start a Mac vs PC war... just couldn't help it!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30