Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:53 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: The honest truth about when to give up on the GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi. I am sorry for not addressing your question and somewhat cutting into a different direction but just a crazy question now that we are 3 weeks from deadlines for R2. This year is a unique year with MIT Sloan, Darden, and Ross providing exceptions and options to waive the GMAT requirement. Have you considered applying to one of these programs? I am sure there are also others.....

There won't likely be a chance like this again and with the time remaining on our hands, the best ROI would be to focus on applications.... at least if you are shooting for R2 first half of Jan deadlines.....

If you have more time, it is possible to improve. Many have improved 150-200 points. Some who have had very low scores have gone up 300 points after rigorous study schedule. There is only a handful of people who have been able to up 300 points though and it was a life-changing journey that entailed a lot of effort.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The honest truth about when to give up on the GMAT [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Hi. I am sorry for not addressing your question and somewhat cutting into a different direction but just a crazy question now that we are 3 weeks from deadlines for R2. This year is a unique year with MIT Sloan, Darden, and Ross providing exceptions and options to waive the GMAT requirement. Have you considered applying to one of these programs? I am sure there are also others.....

There won't likely be a chance like this again and with the time remaining on our hands, the best ROI would be to focus on applications.... at least if you are shooting for R2 first half of Jan deadlines.....

If you have more time, it is possible to improve. Many have improved 150-200 points. Some who have had very low scores have gone up 300 points after rigorous study schedule. There is only a handful of people who have been able to up 300 points though and it was a life-changing journey that entailed a lot of effort.

Originally posted by njp1 on 20 Dec 2020, 14:45.
Last edited by njp1 on 30 Jun 2021, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Got ya. I clearly did not catch all the details of your post (sorry about that). If you are shooting for PT program, then yes, some of the rules are different. I know for the EMBA they used to waive their test requirements for seasoned professionals (something else to consider).

Otherwise, I think what Rich will suggest will be some good ideas - the EMPOWER course is very good. Though the success depends on your continually refreshing what you have learned in the past weeks/days and maintaining a momentum. Review is critical to make sure things stay fresh.

P.S. What does your tutor think the issue is? (It is actually normal for scores to go down after yuo start studying, it is natural despite peple thinking they should only go up as you move from gut reactions and start applying what you have learned). What did they think is the challenge? What's not connecting/sticking?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Got ya. I clearly did not catch all the details of your post (sorry about that). If you are shooting for PT program, then yes, some of the rules are different. I know for the EMBA they used to waive their test requirements for seasoned professionals (something else to consider).

Otherwise, I think what Rich will suggest will be some good ideas - the EMPOWER course is very good. Though the success depends on your continually refreshing what you have learned in the past weeks/days and maintaining a momentum. Review is critical to make sure things stay fresh.

P.S. What does your tutor think the issue is? (It is actually normal for scores to go down after yuo start studying, it is natural despite peple thinking they should only go up as you move from gut reactions and start applying what you have learned). What did they think is the challenge? What's not connecting/sticking?

Yes, the EMBAS would be great as the test is waived but I am only rounding 3 years work experience in June of 2021 (if I can't get the score I will be doing my EMBA for-sure). I am fully committed to getting the score and doing everything that needs to be done to get a 600+... I just need to make sure that what I am doing will get me to where I need to be by mid March at the latest. My tutor has only been working with me for a month or so and we have tackled my SC pretty heavily as that was a weak point for me. But other than that I know my weak points from doing the mocks and targeting the question types that I get wrong the most.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
njp1 wrote:
I went through all Manhattan Preps Foundational materials and after taking 5 of their Mock Exams, it was time that I decided I need to get a private tutor. My exam scores on theses tests are below:

Hi njp1,

My apologies if I missed something in your post, but have you taken any of the official practice tests yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
njp1 wrote:
I went through all Manhattan Preps Foundational materials and after taking 5 of their Mock Exams, it was time that I decided I need to get a private tutor. My exam scores on theses tests are below:

Hi njp1,

My apologies if I missed something in your post, but have you taken any of the official practice tests yet?

Yes. my last two Mocks were official ones!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22073 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
HI njp1,

I see you are using TTP. Can you paste a screenshot of your analytics page? Once I see your course progress I can provide some further advice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi njp1,

Since you're ultimately interested in just one School (Booth) AND it's a highly-competitive School, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

I've also sent you a PM with some additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
njp1 wrote:
Hey Team,

I am in deep trouble, as part of me is starting to doubt my ability that getting the score that i need on this test is unreachable. I need a >600 minimum score to get into the program that I would like to apply to and I'm not even close to that. Over the last 10 months I have been on & off studying given my work situation which is very demanding at times. I went through all Manhattan Preps Foundational materials and after taking 5 of their Mock Exams, it was time that I decided I need to get a private tutor. My exam scores on theses tests are below:

Q17 V10 310 (Cold)

(3 months of foundational work)
Q6 V21 310

(2 more months of additional studying)
Q36 Q25 520

(took a 2 month break of mediocre studying due to a location switch)
Q28 V25 450

(studied for another 2-4 weeks)
Q30 V17 410

(Got a tutor, created a study schedule, took an OG practice test a week later to see where I stand with official questions)
Q27 V25 450

(1-2 tutor sessions a week for 3 weeks)
Q25 V18 380

My official exam is scheduled for Jan 11th and I really don't feel like the 600 is not going to be reachable. Every week goes by I feel stronger & more confident in my knowledge & skill sets in both sections from my studies but the test scores are disproving my progress.

Also, I have reviewed all CATS and know my weak points, I work on those weaknesses the through GMAT Ninja Videos, Tutor Sessions as well as TTP practice and review.

I literally need to know if this 600+ score is reachable for me or if I should just give up.

What is everyones thoughts?

Hi njp1,

As you have around 20 days left for your exam, I think you would need to put in a lot of effort to improve your score significantly. As of now, your scores seems inconsistent. The inconsistency likely indicates that you are struggling with a few concepts and are struggling with the application of concepts.

I would suggest that we get in touch over a call as it would give me a chance to analyze your way of solving questions so that I can identify the flaw in your approach and can guide you in a better way. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Hi njp1

At the outset, we are glad to come across somebody who hasn't given up yet and we hope it stays in the same way up until you score your target GMAT score. If there is at least one person who has done something, it only means you can do it too.
Let us analyze !
We would suggest you to ask yourself the following:

(1)Is your performance without a timer and with a timer different?

(2)Are your basics/fundamentals so strong that you no longer need to go back to the books /videos even when you are stuck at a certain question?

(3)Do you have a habit to observe solutions(video/book) the minute you are stuck?

(4) Do you have a tendency to consciously/sub consciously "avoid" advanced questions?

(5)Have you analyzed the errors in OG and mocks well enough that you are confident of not making an error if such a question comes in your paper?

(6)Do you have your notes and flash cards ready?

(7)Have you understood the concepts and internalized them using questions and solving them without resorting to solutions?

(8)And finally have you revised enough and feel completely confident before you take the test.

If any of these questions can open up a new perspective, please analyze and fix that loop hole.
Have a mentor who can guide you and assist you in recognizing, assessing the intensity and fixing any weak end that may so exist.
We also suggest to have your ESR analyzed using professional help. That may assist gaining in further clarity.
We suggest you to take immediate steps, given you have your paper on 11thJan.

Pls feel free to jot down your worries.
We are with you in this journey!
We would love to see you with a score that you have set for yourself. You have put in a good amount of effort, time and money already and must give it a full shot to reach your goal!
We wish you all the best !
And we would love to hear back if you have an input/doubt.
:)

Hope this helps.
Thanking You
Miss Devmitra Sen(Math)
[
GMAT Club Bot