Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619234 [6]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619234 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: The local high school students have been clamoring for the freedom do [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
The local high school students have been clamoring for the freedom do design their own curricula. Allowing this would be as allowing three-year-olds to choose their own diets. These students have neither the maturity nor the experience to equal that of the professional educators now doing the job.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most strengthen the above argument?

A. high school students have less formal education than those who currently design the curricula.

B. Three-year-olds do not, if left to their own devices, choose healthful diets.

C. The local high school students are less intelligent than the average teenager.

D. Individualized curricula are more beneficial to high school students than are the standard curricula, which are rigid and unresponsive to their particular strengths and weaknesses.

E. The ability to design good curricula develops only after years of familiarity with educational life.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

E

First, we need to understand the structure of the argument Here the statement, "Allowing this would be as disastrous as..." clues us into the author's opinion. Assumption: One needs maturity and experience to design curricula. If the assumption were true, the argument would be strengthened. Check the answer choices, and look for one that affirms the assumption. (A) is just a restatement of the evidence; this choice adds no new information.

In (B) the argument made an analogy: "Allowing students to make their own curricula is as disastrous as letting 3-year-olds choose their own diets." If an argument uses an analogy to make a point, it had better do so effectively. The better the analogy, the stronger the argument. This choice does strengthen the argument by showing the analogy to be true. But the question asks for the best strengthener and a more relevant strengthener may be present

(C) is a classic faulty comparison choice; it is also out of scope. The author doesn't distinguish between local high school students and average teenagers. Moreover, the focus is on experience and maturity, not intelligence. (D) shifts the focus of the argument from "who should or should not design curricula" to "what kind of curricula is best." Notice the scope change in this choice. It's tempting, especially since it brings up an intelligent point about tailoring to individuals, but that's a topic for a different discussion. The best strengthener is (E), citing the experience needed to design curricula.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The local high school students have been clamoring for the freedom do [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts