Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:58 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35501 [56]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35501 [20]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [2]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
The management of the minor league team considered raising admission a [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
The management of the minor league team considered raising admission and parking fees so that the costs would be higher than they had been charged in more than five years.

Quick read-through reveals that the sentence tests comparison. Simplified, the sentence is the following: the management introduced fees that were higher than the fees that were charged in the last five years. Let's see which options do not work and which one works best:

A) so that the costs would be higher than they had been
Who or what is they? Costs? Costs of what? Were not we talking about the fees? The meaning switches from fees to costs... This is a bit weird.

B) so that they were higher than those had been
First, so that indicates the purpose / intent, but we have "were" which creates a meaning issue. The mgmt considered changing the fees so that they would be higher. We cannot speak in Past Tense because the management has not actually implemented the new fees - this is potentially an issue. Also, seems that they and those refer to fees and this is fine.

C) so that fees would be higher than they were
This option would work if the remaining non-underlined portion of the sentence was something like "five years ago", but we have "charged in more than five years". Let's look at the comparison: fees would be higher than fees were charged ... This does not make much sense. Eliminate (C).

D) to a higher level than had been
We are missing a piece in our comparison. The sentence says that management considered changing fees to a higher level than had been charged in five years. What was charged? Level? Well, we either need to have a pronoun or a word "level".

E) to a level higher than that had been
This option looks okayish and it is slightly different from (D) because it has "that". I think there should be an extra "that" after "that". Then the sentence would read as follows:
Management considered changing the fees to a level higher than that [the level] that had been charged in five years.

Let's compare (B) and (E). I am not sure that it is correct to charge a level (E), but one can indeed charge the fees. It is okay to say "fees had been charged in last five years". So, I preferred (B) to (E) while solving, but now I like (E) more than (B) just because there is an issue with "so that" in (B). Do I like (E)? Not at all!

Overall, this is a really tough question and one must not get stuck on a similar question during the test. If you deliberate more than 5 seconds between two / three options, you do not know what to do. Please, guess and move on. Otherwise, you may waste a lot of valuable time.

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 03 Dec 2019, 08:20.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 03 Dec 2019, 09:07, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Re: The management of the minor league team considered raising admission a [#permalink]
Kudos
Doer01 wrote:
Quote:
The management of the minor league team considered raising admission and parking fees so that the costs would be higher than they had been charged in more than five years.

Hi,
IMO E. I solved this one by POE.
Meaning: The management considered raising admission and parking fees to compensate the fee that it had been charged in more than five years.

Quote:
Management is singular, hence it needs a singular pronoun.

Quote:
B) so that they( admission and parking fees) were higher than those(admission and parking fees???) had been

Quote:
C) so that fees would be higher than they(admission and parking fees??? Management????) were

Quote:
D) to a higher level than(??????)had been

Quote:
that(management??)(level???) Nothing else makes sense but Management as it is a singular entity.

may be you are right but i think they correctly refers to costs and not the management.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Re: The management of the minor league team considered raising admission a [#permalink]
Kudos
imo A

D&E distorts meaning,B&C pronoun error
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 199: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

IMHO, E. My reason for eliminating the answer choices,
A. so that the costs would be higher than they had been - Is management raising the fees so that costs would be higher? I applied some of my Quants knowledge here and costs mean production price. So I eliminated A
B. so that they were higher than those had been - Grammatically correct. But, management is only considering to raise the costs. The management did not raise the cost. So Eliminate B.
C. so that fees would be higher than they were charged in more than five years. Fees should be compared to fees. Fees cannot be compared with fees charged with.
D. to a higher level than had been. Comparison in this sentence is A considered raising X so that X had been charged in more than five years. I believe, this sentence compares between the higher fees level and fees that had been charged in 5 years. Not between the levels of fees. So Eliminate D.
E. to a level higher than that had been- replace that with level. Now the sentence reads, ....than the level charged in more than five years. Now the comparison is between the levels, so option E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos

A) so that the costs would be higher than they had been >I think the subject is not costs, rather fees.

B) so that they were higher than those had been> 'they' has no clear antecedent.

C) so that fees would be higher than they were > had been is preferred kin place of were.

D) to a higher level than had been > Correct.

E) to a level higher than that had been.

I'm confused between D and E. Cannot get the use of that in E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1553 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
-- the use of had been is wrong over here it implies that the fee was charged sometimes in the past
and is not charged anymore --so why the management will increase the fee that is not in existence (incorrect)

same as (A) (incorrect)

--correct verb tense is used
--idiom error resolved
(correct)

consider X Y is the correct idiom
consider X to Y ---is incorrect (incorrect)

same as (D) (incorrect)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
The management of the minor league team considered raising admission a [#permalink]
Kudos

Meaning: The Management considered raising admission and parking fees. Why? So that fees would be higher than they[fees] were charged in more than five years.
It is interesting to note that the Management only considered raising the fees. The fees were actually not raised. This sentence has some elements of the hypothetical subjunctive, hence the so that has to be followed by would be, could be, or might be, since this is an expression of the future of the past. Based on this, we can eliminate B.

What is the rationale for the use of the past perfect tense had been? The fees were not raised. The Management of the minor league team only considered raising the fees. We don't have any justification to use the past perfect tense. With this bit of information, we can eliminate A, B, D, and E.
We are left with C. I don't see anything wrong with C. they unambiguously refer to fees. Comparing would be fees to fees [that] were charged seems logical to me. I may be wrong and I stand to be corrected.

Hence, I choose option C as the correct answer.

Are costs and fees synonymous? I don't think so. At least not in this context. Thankfully, there is already a good reason to eliminate A.

They seem okay to me since it refers to fees and this is logical. Were is incorrect. We are referring to the future of the past. would be is appropriate.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [2]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

The first split that we see in this question is of : 'so that' v/s 'to a' in the beginning of each option.

In the underlined part we note 'Considered' to be there.

Now the correct idiom with 'considered' is 'Consider A B'.

So, Consider 'A' so that 'B' is wrong.

Now we have two options remaining : D and E. Lets compare

the use of 'that' in E is not clear. It seems to refer to 'level' but then it will make the rest of the non-underlined section nonsensical with this part, as level cannot be charged

Hence best answer is D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
The management … considered raising … fees so that the costs would be higher than they had been charged in more than five years.

Options A, B, and C can be eliminated on the grounds of meaning alone.

For instance, Option A suggests that the Management was thinking of increasing the “costs” (which is not the same as fees) “so that” (which here means because) costs would be higher than ever in five years.

This is definitely not the intended meaning. With this reason alone, we can eliminate A, B, and C.

We are now left with D and E.

Option E is trying to trick you into thinking that it is using the concept of ellipsis. But there is nothing parallel in the main clause to compare it with. Therefore we can eliminate E.

D is the right answer.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35501 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
generis wrote:
Quote:

so that presents the same issue as that in A
-- So that is supposed to mean "as a result of what management was considering."
-- I have never seen GMAC use "so that" to express result.
• the first they refers to fees.
After that part, things go downhill.
What is the comparison? Fees were higher than those had been in over five years?
The second pronoun, those, is still talking about fees.
Those should be they.
Fees were higher than fees had been in over five years.
Same subject, two verbs. We do not switch pronouns, especially to pronouns that sounds as if they are not referring to the subject.
Eliminate B.

hi generis, appreciate your awesome explanation.
would you please elaborate further about "those" VS "they" in choice B.because I still think the second pronoun "those" is better than "they" . those imply a new copy.

pronoun "they" refers to a certain antecedent. and if the "they" appears later in the same sentence, "they" should refer to the same antecedent.

Fees were higher than fees had been in over five years.
here, I view "those" stands for admission and parking fees , but the fee is different admission and parking fees , the fee was admission and parking fees in past fast 5 years ago. if we use pronoun "they" , implying the fee is not the fee in past 5 years ago.

I have a example from MANHATTAN guide line.
the MONEY spent by her parents is less than that spent by her children.

generis, I am not challenging you. but this indeed confused me a lot.

please help...

generis wrote:
Quote:

• The trap answer. You are supposed to believe that the sentence keeps some comparison parallel.
• The word "that" has no referent.
RHS of "than": that had been charged in over five years. ← ← this is a fragment
LHS of "than: [fees raised to] a level higher than
• We would need two "thats," this way: to a level higher than that that had been charged . . .
The management . . . considered raising fees to a level high than [the level] that had been charged
This sentence is nonsensical.
Eliminate E.

The answer is D.

Similar phrasing: Arctic air drove the temperature to a lower level than had been recorded in two decades.

COMMENTS

adstudy , welcome to SC Butler. :)

This question is difficult, but it's a good lesson in this way: try not to overthink it.
You all did very well as you narrowed answers down.
More importantly, you were brave and posted.
Everyone gets kudos.

I think "that" refers to level.
I think that had been charged in over five years. ← ← this is NOT a fragment

did I miss something?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 890 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
I thought that an ellipsis while comparing can not be anything other than something that's stated in the sentence previously and that it has to be in the same form. Isn't that true?

Quote:

• The underlined part of this sentence is nonsensical and illogical.
Fees get raised, not costs.

The management . . . thought about raising admission and parking fees . . . so that the costs would be higher than they had been charged in more than five years.

• Meaning? The management of the team thought about raising admission and parking fees— to a higher level than had been charged [by the management] in more than five years.

How can we use ellipsis for "by the management" in this sentence?

by the management is not present in the sentence
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts