Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Complete the Passage Critical Reasoning Arguments on the GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: “Complete the Passage” Critical Reasoning Arguments on the GMAT
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Have you run across any “fill in the blank” Critical Reasoning (CR) questions yet? These arguments end with a long, straight line, and we are supposed to pick an answer choice that fills in that blank.

Try this example from the free question set that comes with GMATPrep:

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

People buy prestige when they buy a premium product. They want to be associated with something special. Mass-marketing techniques and price reduction strategies should not be used because ________________.

(A) affluent purchasers currently represent a shrinking portion of the population of all purchasers

(B) continued sales depend directly on the maintenance of an aura of exclusivity

(C) purchasers of premium products are concerned with the quality as well as with the price of the products

(D) expansion of the market niche to include a broader spectrum of consumers will increase profits

(E) manufacturing a premium brand is not necessarily more costly than manufacturing a standard brand of the same product

Officially, these are called “Complete the Passage” arguments. The interesting tidbit: they are NOT a separate question type! These questions fall into one of the same categories you have been studying all along; the format is just presented in this “fill in the blank” format.

Most of the time, these are actually Strengthen questions. Every now and then, you will encounter a Find the Assumption question in this format.

The real trick here is to determine the question type. If the word right before the underline is because or since (or something equivalent), then the question you are dealing with is a Strengthen question. If the argument is set up to ask you to insert a piece of information that would support the conclusion of the argument, that is a Strengthen question.

The only real variation I have seen is when the sentence leading up to the blank asks what must be true or what must be shown. In those cases, you probably have a Find the Assumption question.

Want to know how to do the GMATPrep question presented earlier in this post? I am so glad you asked! Take a look at this full article that explains how to do the question and takes you through the standard four-step process for all CR questions. The article on the Manhattan Prep blog is the first in a three-part series on CR; click the link at the end to read the second part, and so on.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Have No Managerial Experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Have No Managerial Experience
Formal managerial experience is not a prerequisite for admission to a top MBA program—a truth some applicants may find ironic. Keep in mind that an MBA education is for individuals who aspire to become managers and is not exclusive to those who already are managers. If you are fretting about the fact that you have not had any subordinates to date and believe that having overseen a staff is a prerequisite to gaining admission to a top program, you are adhering to a myth and can stop worrying. Instead, think about the ways you have excelled in your position and made the most of the leadership opportunities before you.

For example, consider the numerous investment banking analysts who apply to MBA programs each year. While analysts are at the bottom of the banks’ organizational charts and therefore do not have staffs to manage, they still have demanding jobs and must perform exceptionally well each day to succeed. Most analysts can tell the story of thriving in an ultracompetitive environment and thus reveal their professional excellence via their resumes, essays, and recommendations. And even if most analysts do not have staffs of their own, ample opportunities still exist for senior analysts to train and mentor newer analysts. So, even without a title and a staff, investment banking analysts can find ways to demonstrate their leadership and de facto management skills. And we imagine that with sufficient reflection and brainstorming, you can, too.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Deciding How Many Business Schools to Target and Choosing a Safe Schoo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Deciding How Many Business Schools to Target and Choosing a “Safe” School
When candidates consider their strategies for applying to MBA programs, many have a logical question in mind: To how many business schools should I apply? The answer, of course, varies dramatically from applicant to applicant, but the golden rule is that you should only apply to an MBA program if you have enough time to craft a well-polished application. So, if you have time to “perfect” only three applications, you should focus on applying to just three schools—and not consider submitting several additional “average” applications.

In terms of a target number—assuming that time is not a factor and you can commit yourself to all of your applications—five or six is generally optimal. With five or six applications, you can apply to a mix of reach, competitive, and safe schools and can thereby truly cover your bases. Of course, all applicants have their own risk profile and timing to consider, but for most candidates, applying to too few schools can increase the risk of not being admitted, while applying to too many can be overkill.

Some applicants prefer to be conservative and include a “safe school” or two among their target schools. But what constitutes a safe school? Although determining exactly what a safe school is can be difficult (given that many variables are involved, and the definition can shift depending on the candidate in question), a good place to start is with scores. If a candidate’s GMAT score and GPA are significantly higher than the target school’s averages, for example, then the school is—at first glance, at least—a “safe” choice. So, for example, if you have a 750 GMAT and a 3.8 GPA and are applying to a school with a GMAT score middle 80% range of 620–730 and an average GPA of 3.4 for the most recent entering class, you are off to a promising start.

Next, you might consider your work experience relative to the target program. For example, many Goldman Sachs investment banking “alums” apply and are admitted to the so-called M7 schools (Stanford GSB, Harvard, Wharton, Northwestern Kellogg, Chicago Booth, Columbia, and MIT Sloan). If you happen to be such a candidate, choosing a school outside this tier could certainly make you more competitive.

Finally, you might consider the program’s general selectivity. If you feel you are a competitive candidate at a program that accepts approximately 18% of its applicants, applying to one with an acceptance rate closer to 30% may be a safe option. Before you start applying to any safe schools, however, ask yourself this relatively simple question: “Would I actually go to this school if I got in?” Spending time applying to an MBA program that you would not be willing to actually attend is pointless. If you choose to apply to such a school (as some do) anyway, you will—rather ironically—find yourself with no “safety” net at all.
Send PM
Acclimating to the Cold at Tuck and Hitting the Slopes at Kellogg [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Acclimating to the Cold at Tuck and Hitting the Slopes at Kellogg
The thought of spending the winters in Hanover, New Hampshire—home to Dartmouth College’s Tuck School of Business—may send shivers down your spine. But those who hang tough and embrace the cold can discover some rewarding winter experiences, such as ice hockey and downhill skiing. Both beginners and seasoned veterans participate each year in ice hockey games organized by Tuck hockey leagues. Never played? Not to worry—teams are organized by skill level, so you can find a team of hockey players who will not care if you trip over the blueline (that is ice hockey lingo—you will learn). And those who are not quite ready to play hockey can always get in the game by cheering on their classmates!

Meanwhile, the Ski and Snowboard Club takes advantage of the Dartmouth Skiway in Lyme, New Hampshire, and organizes trips beyond campus as well. The club’s major event is the weekend-long Tuck Winter Carnival, which draws more than 650 people from approximately 15 business schools. In 2020, multiple student teams participated in such events as downhill ski races, a 1980s fashion show, and a DJ dance party. All events at the Winter Carnival combine socializing with raising money for a selected nonprofit organization. At Tuck, you just might be too busy working up a sweat to fret about the cold.

Evanston, Illinois—home to Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management—might not immediately come to mind as a popular destination for skiers. But although Kellogg students may not go skiing in Evanston proper, more than 800 first and second years and their significant others participate in the school’s annual ski trip, which, according to students we interviewed, “remains the biggest of its kind. Like everything else at Kellogg, the trip is student run … from logistics to marketing to sponsorship. … First- and second-year students work together to make it an unforgettable weeklong adventure.” Participating students have traveled to such locations as Steamboat Resort and Telluride, in Colorado, where they stayed in mountainside condos. Those who wish to ski can avail themselves of three-, four-, or even five-day passes, while nonskiers can enjoy such activities as cooking classes, snowshoe lessons, and spa treatments (at reduced prices). The evenings feature theme parties, such as an annual 1980s party. The 2019 event took place in December in Whistler, Canada.

In a January 2018 Poets&Quants article, a second year described his experience on a past Kellogg ski trip: “While we spent our days bungee jumping, dog-sledding, and snowboarding, we also deepened our relationships with other members of the Kellogg community.” A first year with whom we spoke expressed how impressed she was with Kellogg’s ski club for “planning the best week of business school for [close to 1,000] people!” She added that the ski trip is simply not to be missed: “It’s all of your closest friends, taking over a ski town for one full week with amazing parties and social activities—many of which are sponsored!”

For a thorough exploration of what Dartmouth Tuck, Northwestern Kellogg, and 15 other top business schools have to offer, check out our free mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Should I Work with an MBA Admissions Consultant? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Should I Work with an MBA Admissions Consultant?
Each year, thousands of people apply to the top business schools. Although many of them opt to work with an MBA admissions consultant, many others do not. We at mbaMission find that this decision greatly depends on each candidate’s personal, professional, and financial circumstances. In this post, we address several common questions from applicants related to hiring an MBA admissions consultant.

[b]What kinds of applicants typically work with MBA admissions consultants?[/b]
Applicants seek the guidance of an MBA admissions consultant for different reasons. Here at mbaMission, we commonly interact with applicants who fit at least one of the following descriptions:

[list]
    Struggle to identify and tell their strongest story[/*]
    Want any edge they can get[/*]
    Would benefit from some help bringing efficiency and organization to this complex and time-consuming process[/*]
    Need assistance in overcoming cultural or language barriers that can complicate the application process[/*]
[/list]
If you find yourself relating to one (or more) of the above-mentioned scenarios, you may benefit from the informed guidance of a professional MBA admissions consultant.

[b]I am confident in my MBA application, but getting the opinion of an elite professional would not hurt. Is that possible?[/b]
Although not every business school applicant will find themselves in one of the aforementioned situations, we at mbaMission believe that everyone can benefit from objective feedback and informed guidance in the competitive world of MBA admissions. Quite frankly, no one should submit a business school application that has not first been reviewed by a second set of eyes.

Are you an applicant who requires support in the following areas?

[list]
    Compatibility and assessment advisory[/*]
    Brainstorming for essay ideas[/*]
    Individual essay editing[/*]
    Resume or short answer preparation[/*]
    Letter of recommendation advisory[/*]
    Interview preparation[/*]
    Waitlist guidance[/*]
    Post-acceptance counseling

[/*]
[/list]
For all of these topics, a professional MBA admissions consultant may be able to give you the insight to build your most compelling MBA application.

[url=https://www.mbamission.com/blog/what-do-mba-admissions-consultants-do-and-do-you-need-one/][b]In this blog post[/b][/url], we break down the tasks and goals of an MBA admissions consultant so that you can better understand what working with one looks like on a day-to-day basis—and ultimately determine whether hiring a consultant is the right choice for you.

[b]I would like to work with an MBA admissions consultant, but doing so is expensive. Can I find more affordable options out there?[/b]

At mbaMission, we are big believers in the expression “you get what you pay for.” That is precisely why we provide our clients with elite and dependable service throughout the entire admissions process and why we never discount our core admissions services. Opting to work with an MBA admissions consultant is undoubtedly an investment of your time and hard-earned money, but with the right firm on your side, it is truly a good investment. We invest significantly in our consultants—as well as in our research and other offerings—so that we can provide our clients with the highest quality support possible.

We encourage you to familiarize yourself with our selection of services, which range from comprehensive [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/services/products/complete-start-to-finish-package]“Start-to-Finish” packages[/url][/b] (starting at $5,900 for one school with a Senior Consultant), to [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/services/products/hourly-services]“a la carte” hours[/url][/b] (starting at $770 for two hours with a Senior Consultant), and flat-fee options such as [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/services/products/mock-interview-sessions]Mock Interview sessions[/url][/b] (from $800) and [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/services/products/ding-review-reapplicant-strategy]“Ding” Reviews[/url][/b] (from $700). We designed our offerings to fit the needs of today’s MBA applicant, and we take pride in their proven results.

[b]I am ready to work with an mbaMission consultant, but I am not sure which service is best for me. Can you help?[/b]

Not to worry! We are here to help you determine which service is most beneficial to your specific application needs. Read  to get started.

[b]I am not certain that I need an MBA admissions consultant at all. Is there a way to “test out” the experience?[/b]
Some candidates [b][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUvG8klTIuE&feature=emb_title]need a consultant[/url][/b] for more than one of these reasons, and others, as we noted earlier, do not need one at all. If you are unsure whether working with an MBA admissions consultant would be beneficial for you, sign up for a [b][url=https://www.mbamission.com/consult/]free 30-minute consultation[/url][/b]. We will honestly assess your candidacy and recommend what we truly feel is best for you.

[b][url=https://www.mbamission.com/blog/what-to-expect-during-a-free-consultation-with-an-mba-admissions-consulting-firm/]In this blog post[/url][/b], we detail what and what not to expect during a free 30-minute consultation with an MBA admissions consultant.

We look forward to learning more about you and your business school candidacy!
Send PM
Maximize Your GMAT Study Results by Boosting Your Memory [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Maximize Your GMAT Study Results by Boosting Your Memory
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Has this happened to you? You have ambitious plans to study a ton of things over the weekend. You get tired, but you are determined to push through, so you keep studying. You begin to get a bit anxious because you feel you are not learning well (and you are not!), so you study even more. You get even more tired, and that makes it even harder to learn. By the end of the weekend, you are exhausted, frustrated, and demoralized.

Time magazine published a fascinating little article back in 2012: “To Boost Memory, Shut Your Eyes and Relax.” Go take a look at it. Do not worry; I will wait.

In a nutshell: your brain makes better memories when it is not tired.

The Time article quotes Michaela Dewar, the lead author of a research study on this topic. She notes that we are “at a very early stage of memory formation” when we first start to study new information, and “further neural processes have to occur after this stage for us to be able to remember this information at a later point in time.”

The italics are mine. Note what Ms. Dewar has said: more “stuff” has to happen in our brains after we have studied this info for us to be able to recall that information later on. In the meantime, we have to go do something else that does not involve learning other new things. Eat lunch. Take a walk or exercise. Listen to some music while cleaning the house. Get a good night’s sleep.

How can we use this in our GMAT study?

There are many ways to study, but do not plan to study for more than about two hours at a stretch. Cut yourself off earlier if you realize that you are feeling significantly mentally fatigued. If you do hit that two-hour mark, stop. You can study more today, if you want, but first take at least a one-hour brain break.

Next, if you plan to study on days that you also have work or class, see whether you have the flexibility to study before or during the class/work day. You could get up a little earlier than normal (warning: do not try this if you are a night person) or possibly arrange to get into work a bit later than normal a couple of days a week. You could study on your lunch break. These sessions might only run 20 or 30 minutes, but that is fine—you are just trying to get some studying done earlier in the day, while your brain is more fresh!
Send PM
Top Tips for MBA Reapplicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Top Tips for MBA Reapplicants
Being rejected from business school can be incredibly disappointing. You spent a year, or perhaps even longer, studying for the GMAT, GRE, or EA; completing applications; preparing for interviews; and waiting for the schools’ decisions, only to learn that you did not get in. But all is not lost! Not only can you reapply, but reapplicants can, and do, get accepted!

If you are a business school reapplicant, you need to do a few key things before you submit a new application. If you have what could be considered an obvious flaw in your candidacy—a low test score, insufficient work experience, a lot of job movement—you need to take steps to rectify the problem area if you are to succeed. This might require, for example, investing in a class or tutor to help you study more effectively for the GMAT, GRE, or EA. Or, you might consider switching to a different test altogether or looking at programs whose average scores are in line with yours. Perhaps you need another year of work under your belt. Whatever your particular area of weakness is, you can most likely fix it with some time and effort.

If your profile does not have an obvious shortcoming, and you were perhaps surprised by your rejection, you can still find ways and opportunities to improve. The leading business schools generally have incredibly low acceptance rates, which unfortunately means that many deserving applicants must be rejected each year. We once asked an admissions officer at a top-ten MBA program how many more candidates she could admit without negatively affecting the quality of the class, and she estimated that should could add 50% more students or even double the size of the class! So, you might have simply been the unlucky victim of a uber competitive applicant pool and some tough choices on the part of the admissions committees. But if this is why your original application was unsuccessful, you could nevertheless benefit from taking a quant class to shore up your analytical capabilities, deepening your commitment to a community organization, or working hard toward a promotion at work. Even if you were—and are—a strong applicant already, you should take advantage of the opportunity to bolster your candidacy even further.

One very practical step to take is to make your target program(s) aware of your determination. For example, if you have a contact at a school—such as a waitlist manager who has come to know you or a member of the admissions team you have networked with—let them know that you plan to reapply in the first round (and yes, if you are a reapplicant, applying in Round 1 is crucial). By showing them that you are, in a sense, not taking no for an answer, you are indicating that you will very likely accept an offer of admissions from the school. Because admissions officers care about yield, this is a useful and appealing bit of information for them to have when evaluating your application. They also appreciate resilience and determination and would be far less likely to say no to an applicant who had previously been on the cusp.

Know that at many top MBA programs, reapplicants make up 5%–10% of the class, so you might have been knocked down, but you really have no reason to stay down. Pick yourself up, and reapply with confidence!

If you have been rejected or “dinged” by an MBA program and want to improve your chances for success the next time around, we can thoroughly review your original application to identify potential areas for improvement. Read more about our Ding Review/Reapplicant Strategy service here.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Why Worry? I Volunteered! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Why Worry? I Volunteered!
Some MBA applicants mistakenly view community service as simply a prerequisite for getting into a top program and sign up for volunteer opportunities without considering whether the organization or cause they are choosing is actually a reasonable fit for them. Community service is generally something positive to highlight in your application, given that it demonstrates altruism and frequently indicates leadership skills as well—attributes that may not be revealed in your work experience. However, it is not a panacea or a mere box to be checked. As you contemplate your involvements, be aware that “hours served” are not as important as the spirit of your participation and the extent of your impact.

We encourage all MBA candidates to carefully consider their community experiences in the same way they would examine and evaluate their professional or entrepreneurial opportunities. Although people can sometimes make mistakes in their career path, most gravitate toward areas where they can excel, justifiably to further their own interests. So, for example, if you do not enjoy one-on-one interactions, you likely would not consider a position in sales, because you could never thrive in such a position. In contrast, if working in sales were to bring out the best in you, you just might earn promotions, think of new sales techniques, train others, etc. Success stories develop as a by-product of performance.

This reasoning also applies to community service. For example, if you have always enjoyed a particularly close relationship with your grandmother and want to share this kind of positive experience with others, you might decide to volunteer at a retirement home, spending time with seniors. If you became quite passionate about your work there, you might then get others involved, expand the volunteer program at the home, take greater leadership in the program, and demonstrate your initiative and enthusiasm in other ways. However, if you are not that passionate about spending time with the elderly, but you happen to live near a retirement home, volunteering there just for convenience would probably be a mistake. In such a situation, you would lack the spirit of commitment/adventure necessary to ensure that you make an impact—and therefore have a story worth telling the admissions committees.

Whether you are already committed to an activity or are just considering becoming involved in one, carefully determine whether you have the mind-set and personal interest necessary to truly commit yourself to your chosen cause and make a difference. If putting in hours is the only commitment you can make, you will just be wasting your time.
Send PM
Which MBA Application Round Should I Apply In? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Which MBA Application Round Should I Apply In?
At most top business schools, aspiring MBAs apply in one of three application rounds: Round 1 in September, Round 2 in January, and Round 3 in March or April. As an applicant, you might be wondering when the ideal time to apply is. In this video, we explain the differences among the MBA application rounds:

Round 1 is generally considered the best time to apply for several key reasons.

• The class is wide open, and the MBA admissions officers have fresh eyes.
  • Applying early indicates your interest in your target MBA program.
  • If you are an overrepresented applicant (e.g., consultant, private equity analyst), or if you have a weak point in your application (e.g., a low GPA or GMAT/GRE score), getting your application in front of the admissions committee as early as possible can help you stand out.
We recommend that you apply in Round 1 if you are ready to submit your best possible application by your target school’s deadline. However, if you believe you can significantly improve your application in some way, such as boosting your test score or earning a promotion, if you had a little extra time, then applying in Round 2 is also a solid option. Similarly, if you got a bit of a late start on your application and do not want to rush, opting for Round 2 would be a prudent decision. If you would be a strong applicant in Round 1, you should still be a strong applicant in Round 2.

Round 3—or the last round at MBA programs that have more than three application rounds—is what most schools refer to as a “shaping” round. This is when the admissions committees are more targeted in their evaluations because they are looking to fill certain “holes” in the class. For example, they might say, “We need a few more countries represented” or, “We usually have a higher number of women in the class, so let’s be thoughtful about balancing things in this final round.” Because most spots in the MBA class have been filled by Round 3, we generally advise against waiting until this round to submit your application. However, if you are a truly exceptional candidate or can offer a unique professional experience to the class, you could find success in Round 3.

We asked a few MBA admissions officers for their thoughts on applying in the different application rounds. Here is what they had to say:

“We really don’t [recommend that candidates apply in any specific round]. We model to admit the same quality of students in each round, so it’s not as though there’s an advantage to applying in one round versus another. We have three rounds, and we’re also part of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, so we do receive applications that come in through the consortium and that are referred to us. But in terms of our three direct application rounds, like a lot of schools, we counsel people that if they can avoid the third round, they should try to do that. That’s not because it’s inherently any more difficult, but just because it’s more variable. It depends on how many people have already been accepted into the class in the first two rounds, so you just don’t know. It could be more than we were expecting, or it could be less. It’s that uncertainty that can make it more challenging. The main piece of advice we give everybody is to apply when you have your strongest application ready. Don’t rush to get it in earlier if it’s going to be less strong. And especially between Rounds 1 and 2, as I said, we model so that the quality of people we’re admitting stays constant throughout, so there’s no advantage in applying in one round versus another.” – Bruce DelMonico, Assistant Dean and Director of Admissions, Yale School of Management

“[We] get about a third of our applications in Round 1, about 55% in Round 2, and the remainder in Round 3. … We encourage people to submit their application when they feel that they offer their best possible applications. … So, if you can get everything lined up and completed and you feel really good about it … then I would encourage you to apply in Round 1. But if it takes you a bit longer, and you want to take the time to look at your application again and maybe have somebody else look at it, then Round 2 is fine, too.” – Soojin Kwon, Managing Director of Full-Time MBA Admissions and Program, University of Michigan Ross School of Business
Send PM
Which mbaMission Service Is Right for Me? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Which mbaMission Service Is Right for Me?
Over the years, many MBA hopefuls have come to us with one resounding question:

Which admissions consulting service is right for me?

Maybe you are just getting started with the GMAT exam and admittedly have not even thought about your business school applications yet. Or maybe you are already well into the application process but are seeking some last-minute advice from an honest professional. Or perhaps you are a reapplicant who cannot understand what went wrong the first time around.

No matter where you are in the application process, mbaMission is here to help you. If you are unsure about which service might be the most beneficial to your candidacy, read on. In this blog post, we provide several different scenarios (one of which you might find yourself in now) and the corresponding best mbaMission service for each one.

“I need help with my MBA applications, but I don’t know where to start!”

Best for: Those who are (or plan to be) committing themselves fully to the MBA application process

The cost: Flat fee per school, starting at $5,900 for a one-school package with a Senior Consultant

The commitment: Extensive—This flat-fee option gives you unlimited brainstorming assistance, ongoing feedback and advice, and as many revisions to your essays, resume, and other application elements as you feel you need to craft the most successful application possible.

Our package services work best for those who are beginning the MBA application process and have committed themselves wholeheartedly. mbaMission’s package clients benefit from having no limitations on the amount of time spent brainstorming for essay ideas, the number of essay revisions allowed, the number of rounds of changes to resumes, and so on. If you intend to devote significant time to the application process, our Complete “Start-to-Finish” Package is for you.

With the Complete “Start-to-Finish” Package, you have the option to add additional schools to your purchase at any time within your contract agreement (May 1–April 30). So, if you decide to apply to another school (perhaps in a later round), you can do so with the help of mbaMission.

“I’ve started my applications, but I need help with a few elements.” 

Best for: Business school applicants who need help with discrete tasks rather than their overall application

The cost: Starting at $385 per hour to work with a Senior Consultant, with special “bundle” pricing available for clients purchasing five hours.

The commitment: Flexible—Use your hours however you choose, whenever you choose. Start with our minimum of two hours, and if you require more guidance, you can add hours to your purchase at any time within your contract agreement (six months from the purchase date).

Hourly services are a great option for applicants who need help with a few application elements rather than their entire application. For example, perhaps you feel your essays are strong, but you are unsure of how to assemble a compelling resume to accompany them. Or maybe you have been invited to interview and could benefit from some practice and feedback beforehand. Or perhaps just one essay is giving you trouble, so you feel you need assistance only with that portion. Whatever the task, we can serve your needs through our a la carte hourly services.

“I applied and, unfortunately, got rejected. What went wrong?” 

Best for: Reapplicants who want to improve on their failed application(s)

The cost: Starting at $700 for one application with a Senior Consultant

The commitment: Low—Approximately two hours

One of our advisors will first examine all aspects of your previous application—including your test scores, resume, essays, transcript, short-answer responses, reference letters (if available), and any other related materials. Then, your consultant will provide written feedback, highlighting your strengths and weaknesses and offering recommendations for improvement in your next application. Finally, you will have a 30-minute phone call with your consultant to discuss this feedback and ensure that your questions are answered. Ding Review clients will also be eligible for a $250 discount on any Complete Start-to-Finish Package service, redeemable within three months of your completed review.

“I submitted my MBA application(s), and I just got invited to interview! What can I do to prepare?” 

Best for: Applicants who require focused interview preparation

The cost: Starting at $800 with a Senior Consultant

The commitment: Moderate—The Mock Interview Session and subsequent debrief will last approximately two hours.

In our individual interview preparation sessions, you will meet* with an experienced mbaMission Admissions Advisor who has read either your entire application or just your resume, depending on the approach the school with which you are interviewing prefers, and who will use actual questions posed to previous applicants by your target school’s interviewers. You will therefore be able to familiarize yourself with the content and style of a typical interview at that program and practice both forming and presenting effective responses. Through Q&A, feedback, and thorough planning, we can help you improve the content of your answers, your time-management skills, and your overall presentation.

We also offer a specialized Mock Interview Session for Harvard Business School (HBS), which includes an HBS-specific mock interview plus support for the post-interview reflection, and a new HBS Intensive Interview Simulation with veteran interviewer Devi Vallbhaneni.

And for those applicants who are interviewing at The Wharton School, we offer our Wharton Team-Based Discussion Simulation to help you prepare for this unique group interview experience.

*Mock Interview Sessions can be held over the phone/Zoom/Skype.

“I see myself applying to business school…but not yet! What can I do to prepare now so that I am ready to apply in a year or two?”

Best for: Those who are 6–24 months from applying

The cost: Starting at $1,540 with a Senior Consultant

The commitment: Moderate—Your consultant will schedule periodic check-ins and offer comprehensive, ongoing coaching leading up to your application season.

As you approach your business school applications, having a long-term plan in mind and benchmarks to achieve is crucial to prepare for this incredibly important step in your life. We can help you navigate this stage of the admissions process so that when the time comes to differentiate yourself, you will have a host of professional, community, and personal achievements on which to draw.

“I did not see my personal scenario in this blog post!”

We are always willing to work with you. If you find yourself in a unique situation and are not certain whether any of the services we have outlined here are quite right for you, please contact us for more information.

If you’re sure where to begin, we penned this blog post to shed some light on what MBA admissions consultants do in the first place and hopefully help you determine whether hiring an MBA admissions consultant is the right choice for you.

If you are unsure about which service would be ideal for you or how much time your business school application(s) will actually take to prepare, we encourage you to sign up for a free 30-minute consultation. During this session, we will honestly assess your candidacy and recommend what we truly feel is best for you. For a complete list of our services (and pricing), please visit our Services page.

We look forward to helping you apply to the business school of your dreams!
Send PM
Using Social Media for Your MBA Application [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Using Social Media for Your MBA Application

Whether you love social media or hate it, you cannot afford to ignore it with respect to your MBA application!

You should assume that just as firms do during the recruiting process, admissions committees will Google you and assess your social media presence. You therefore need to ensure that anything within your control supports the personal brand you want to portray and are working to cultivate in your application. At a minimum, delete anything that could call into question your credibility as an MBA candidate and potential successful student, and adjust your privacy settings accordingly! Focus in particular on LinkedIn and make sure the information there fully aligns with key details in your application, including your past employers, job titles, and dates of employment. Building a robust LinkedIn profile if you do not already have one could also prove beneficial when the times comes for recruiting, for both internships and full-time, post-MBA employment. It can also demonstrate your genuine passion for your career goals, based on the posts you engage with and the companies and groups you follow.

If you enjoy social media, leverage it as a positive! Essentially all the top-ranked MBA programs are active on social media, which can be a fantastic way to research the various schools and assess mutual fit, as well as provide essay fodder for why you want to attend a specific school. Two-way communication is another key benefit of social media, and many MBA programs not only appreciate but also encourage active engagement! By participating in conversations about a school’s blog posts, video content, or press releases via thoughtful, relevant, and intelligent commentary, you can demonstrate your genuine interest in the program. This is also a great way to stay up-to-date on key admissions events and information and to show the school that you are someone who will be actively involved with the community as part of the MBA program.

Ideally, you also want your business school application to indicate to the admissions committee that you are a multidimensional, dynamic person who participates in and contributes positively to society. Social media can be a powerful platform through which to showcase your passions and interests, allowing you to post photos from a recent humanitarian trip abroad, a review of a hot new restaurant from your “foodie” perspective, or a video of your recent musical performance. This publicly available content should effectively reinforce the claims you make in the brief “interests” section of your MBA application resume, thereby providing validity and authenticity.

Regardless of your personal stance on social media, do not neglect this important avenue through which the admissions committees can learn more about you. Although one’s social media presence and activity are not formal elements of the application process, social media research can (and likely will) be used to help the school form a more holistic impression of you, so make sure to manage it in such a way that it mitigates any negative perceptions of you—or even better, use it to your advantage!

For more detailed guidance on making the most of social media as part of your business school candidacy, download a copy of our free guide toManaging Your Social Media Presence for MBA Admission. And follow our social media channels for more helpful tips and advice on your MBA application: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube. If you would like a personalized, one-on-one conversation regarding your specific profile and MBA goals, sign up for free 30-minute consultation call with one of mbaMission’s admissions experts.
Send PM
MBAs for Professionals at Villanova School of Business and Krannert Sc [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBAs for Professionals at Villanova School of Business and Krannert School of Management
With a satellite campus in Center City, Philadelphia, the Villanova School of Business (VSB) at Villanova University specializes in part-time programs for working professionals, allowing them to enjoy the benefits of a full-time curriculum without leaving their job. In this vein, the school offers an accelerated, two-year, part-time Fast Track degree option, for which students meet twice a week, as well as the more customizable Flex Track degree option, which typically takes three years to complete and accommodates varying course loads.

One advantage of the accelerated option is the opportunity to partake in the school’s three-part capstone project, which includes the “Social Enterprise Consulting Practicum,” “Global Practicum,” and “Global Strategic Management” courses—each lasting 14 weeks. In the “Social Enterprise Consulting Practicum,” students work with local nonprofit organizations to identify strategies in such areas as branding, funding, and membership retention. Alternatively, the latter two courses entail working with a multinational corporation to gain firsthand experience analyzing market issues. VSB also hosts a variety of elective international immersion courses, through which students may travel abroad over winter break or during the summer.

Another option for professionals is Purdue University’s Krannert School of Management, whose two executive MBA programs focus on helping professionals gain their advanced business degrees while maintaining a career. Students can select the traditional executive MBA program, which features five residencies at Krannert and one abroad, or the IMM Global Executive MBA program, during which students are divided into cohorts and take part in residencies in each of the five IMM partner schools (including Krannert). Locations for the residencies include Brazil, the Netherlands, and Italy. Both of these executive MBA programs take place over the course of 19 months and include online learning modules in addition to in-person studies.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Adam Grant, The Wharton School of the University o [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Adam Grant, The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania

Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Today, we focus on Adam Grant from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

In addition to receiving multiple teaching awards at Wharton and having been named one of HR’s “Most Influential International Thinkers” in many biennial rankings, Adam Grant is also reportedly a student favorite. The author of New York Times bestsellers Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy (Knopf, 2017; co-authored with Sheryl Sandberg), Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World (Viking Press, 2016), and Give and Take: A Revolutionary Approach to Success (Viking Press, 2013; named one of the best books of the year by Amazon), and more than 60 articles, Grant has received numerous awards for his research on work motivation, including a Cummings Scholarly Achievement Award from the Academy of Management, the Distinguished Scientific Award for Early Career Contribution from the American Psychological Association, and a fellowship from the National Science Foundation. Grant’s books have been translated into 35 languages.

Grant was quoted in a past Bloomberg Businessweek profile of him as saying, “There is a long list of reasons that make me passionate about teaching, but every one revolves around the observation that we spend the majority of our waking hours at work, and there are many ways in which organizational psychology lets people lead more reward[ing] and productive work lives and makes the experience and organizations of others more productive, too.” In addition, Wharton students quoted by Poets&Quants once remarked of him, “I’m always struck by his humility (and humanity). It’s actually more like a bedside manner, almost like charisma, but more humble and personable” and “Adam is an amazing teacher and friend. In both my classes with him, he’s shown that in addition to being passionate about his subject matter, he really cares about his students. He also has an uncanny ability to remember the name of every student he teaches.”

For information on other defining characteristics of the MBA program at Wharton or any of 16 other top business schools, check out our free mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
How to Approach Freelance Work and Layoffs in Your MBA Application [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: How to Approach Freelance Work and Layoffs in Your MBA Application
If you do mostly short-term, project-based work, you might struggle with how to structure your resume so that it does not give the impression that you switch jobs every few months. If you list each job separately, not only will your resume be too long, but you also run the risk that your reader will think you have not had a stable career—when in fact, if you are a successful freelancer or contractor, the opposite is the case. So, how can you organize your resume so that it showcases the strength of your work and avoid having the variety and number of your work experiences come across as a weakness instead?

The key here is “clustering.” Rather than listing each short-term job separately, cluster them all under one heading, such as “independent contractor” or “freelance project manager.” Next to this heading, note the time range (i.e., start and end dates) during which you have worked for yourself. Then, using bullet points, list the individual projects you completed as a freelancer, noting your primary accomplishments for each one, followed by the related company/organization name and dates. The goal is to keep the focus on your accomplishments.

Similarly, many business school applicants—especially during these turbulent times—worry about the impact having been laid off might have on their candidacy. Do the admissions committees view a layoff as a sign of failure?

One thing to remember is that many MBA candidates share this worry—thousands of them worldwide, in fact, if not hundreds of thousands. For the admissions committees to dismiss all such applicants outright would simply not be practical. Moreover, the admissions committees know that the 2008 global financial crisis and subsequent recession as well as the novel coronavirus outbreak and its repercussions are at the root of the problem, not necessarily the individual candidate’s performance. Indeed, layoffs and firings are not the same thing, so admissions committees will examine your application with that in mind, seeking your broader story.

If you find yourself in this situation, what is important is that you show that you have made good use of your time since the layoff by studying, volunteering, seeking work, enhancing your skills, etc. Each candidate will react differently, of course, but you need to have a story to tell of how you made the most of a difficult situation.
Send PM
MBA Application Tips for Career Changers [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Application Tips for Career Changers
If you are considering attending business school to help facilitate a career switch, you are not alone! Many MBA students earn their degree to enable some sort of professional change, whether it is related to industry, functional role, or even geography.

While this desire is hardly unique, careful thought is needed before one acts to ensure that business school is indeed the right move and will lead to enhanced happiness and career fulfillment in the future.

The three key considerations for MBA applicants who are contemplating such a move can be thought of in a “why, where, and what” framework.

WHY: Take the time for meaningful self-reflection regarding your desired career change, given the potential magnitude of the decision and its implications.

Making a career change and taking time for an MBA are both significant decisions that deserve to be fully thought through. Why do you want to make such a change? Are you driven by more than surface-level prestige and/or financial considerations? Does your intended future career path leverage your strengths? Is an MBA truly necessary for you to succeed on this path? You must complete the appropriate due diligence and dig deeper than superficial stereotypes to fully understand all aspects of the switch you are considering. Network to find others in your desired future role and request informational interviews with them to get a “peek under the tent,” so to speak. Not only will this either solidify your decision or cause you to rethink it, but it will also help you better articulate your career goals for the schools that ask. mbaMission’s suite of free Career Guides might also prove helpful.

WHERE: Your future career goals should be a key factor in your school selection.

In deciding where to apply, you want to consider your new career goal. Which schools best fit your desired career switch? Make sure to research each program’s academic specializations, concentrations, and tracks, as well as elective classes and experiential learning opportunities to identify which elements align with your desired field/industry/functional role and to what degree. Related clubs and conferences can also provide incremental learning opportunities, interview preparation guidance, and networking prospects. And assessing schools at this level will help you convey why a program is a strong match for you and your career needs when you are asked about this in an essay question or interview.

You also want to discover what companies recruit at your target schools, particularly for internships that would allow you test your prospective new career choice and confirm whether it is in fact the right long-term move for you. Most MBA programs release annual employment reports that present information on the companies that hired their first-year students and graduates.

In addition, you should evaluate the strength of each school’s career services team and resources. The recruiting process can require additional work, time, and effort for career switchers. You need to be particularly effective at communicating your desire for your new professional path in internship interviews, as well as at articulating why you are qualified and how you can provide value. The career services team can help you in this endeavor and serve as an objective sounding board, providing constructive feedback and guidance. Fully assess the MBA program’s alumni network as well, because it can play a critical role in your career switch by serving as another “way in” to secure an internship and/or full-time employment in your desired field.

Lastly, make sure to thoughtfully evaluate how a school fits your overall profile and odds of acceptance, and if an MBA is absolutely required for you to successfully make your intended career switch, be sure to look at a range of schools.

WHAT: Clearly articulate your reasons for desiring the career switch, connecting the dots for the admissions committee.

What you say in your application is critical to ensure that you clearly convey to the admissions committee your reasons for wanting a career change, why you need an MBA to make the switch, and why you feel you will be successful. You want to give the committee confidence that you have done your due diligence and really given serious thought to the “why” element we referenced earlier.

If you are a career changer, your work history might not connect directly to your stated goals the way that of someone who plans to continue working in the same industry or job func­tion would. However, you still need to show growth and accomplishment in your professional experience and to highlight your capabilities and knowledge. Emphasize the aspects of your career to date that are most relevant to your future goals, because they have either served as good preparation for your new intended career or given you transferable skills that will be relevant to that career.

Show the admissions committee that you have a plan, that you know the hurdles you could face in attempting this career change, and that you have strategies for addressing them. You can certainly change your mind later, of course, but at the application stage, you must convince the committee that you have a specific direction in mind when you enroll. Business schools want you to be successful and finish their program feeling great about your decision. Part of that is securing a job soon after graduation or even before. They do not want you to be starting from ground zero when you walk on campus!

If you do not feel that a school’s essays or short-answer sections provide enough opportunity for you to share the story behind your intended career change, you can always use the optional essay to do so, but make sure the content you provide there is additive to what you have said in the rest of your application, not duplicative. Being respectful of the admissions committee’s time is always a smart move.

If you would like to discuss your career goals and school selection in more detail with an expert MBA admissions consultant, sign up today for a free 30-minute consultation!
Send PM
Explaining Your Contribution and Using School-Specific Info in MBA App [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Explaining Your Contribution and Using School-Specific Info in MBA Application Essays
Many business schools use their essay questions as an opportunity to ask about the unique contributions you will make to their particular program. Unfortunately, candidates often make the mistake of thinking that a bland summary statement like “I will bring my leadership skills to XYZ School” will sufficiently express their intended contribution. One reason we prefer to work with business school candidates “from start to finish” is so we can prevent such problems. Simply relating a story about a past experience and then repeating the main point does not demonstrate that you can or will make a meaningful contribution to the school. Ideally, you want to go further, explaining how you would apply and use your experience and skills while at the school in a way that would offer some benefit to others, thereby demonstrating a true understanding of your fit with that particular program.

Example 1:

“My experience as a stand-up comedian will allow me to bring humor to the Wharton environment.”

With this statement, the MBA admissions committee is left wondering, “How exactly will this applicant bring humor to the environment? Does this person really know what our environment is about?” In contrast, consider our next example.

Example 2:

“My experience as a stand-up comic will prove particularly useful at Wharton, a dynamic environment where I will be constantly joining new and energetic study teams. I anticipate using my sense of humor to create more relaxed team environments, helping everyone feel comfortable contributing, though I will use my humor judiciously, such as to diffuse tense moments during late-night study sessions, rather than as a distraction. I believe my skills and experience being funny on stage will also allow me to play an important role in the Wharton Follies.”

In this example, the writer has applied their personal experience and intended contribution directly to the Wharton experience and has thereby shown a clear connection with the school, proving that the candidate truly identifies with it and accurately understands its nature.

At times, candidates also tend to unintentionally describe their personal experience with a specific MBA program in a vague and general manner. Because they are writing from memory and discussing their authentic experience, they do not realize that they are not being specific enough. Consider the following example:

“During my visit to Cornell Johnson, I was struck by the easygoing classroom discussion, the warmth of the professors, and the time spent by the first-year student who not only toured the facilities with me but also took me out for coffee and asked several of his colleagues to join us.”

Although these statements may in fact be true, the text contains no Cornell-specific language. If the Yale School of Management, Michigan Ross, or the name of any other school were substituted for Cornell Johnson here, the statement would not otherwise change at all, resulting in a weak and generic essay.

In contrast, the following statement could refer only to UVA Darden:

“While on Grounds, I was impressed by Professor Robert Carraway’s easygoing and humorous style as he facilitated a fast-paced discussion of the ‘George’s T-Shirts’ case. Although I admittedly felt dizzied by the class’s pace, I was comforted when I encountered several students reviewing the finer points of the case later at First Coffee. I was impressed when my first-year guide stopped mid-tour to check in with her learning teammate and reinforce the case’s central point. It was then I recognized that this was the right environment for me.”

If you were to substitute the Darden name and even the professor’s name with those of another school and professor, the paragraph would no longer work. Including the Darden-specific information regarding the day’s case, First Coffee, and learning teams ensures that these sentences have a sincere and personal feel and shows that the candidate truly understands what the school is about. This is necessary to craft a compelling personal statement that will catch the admissions committee’s attention.
Send PM
Five MBA Application Essay Mistakes and How to Avoid Them [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Five MBA Application Essay Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
Your MBA application essays are your chance to distinguish yourself from the many other business school applicants who also want a spot in your target program’s next incoming class. The essays allow you to show the admissions committee who you are. So, having read tens of thousands of MBA application essays, we want to caution you against making any of these five common MBA essay mistakes.

1. Writing about Someone Else
Sometimes, applicants have difficulty starting an essay. Generally, we want to give our reader context for our stories, so candidates often begin their essays—particularly the Stanford Graduate School of Business’s “What matters most to you, and why?” and Harvard Business School’s “What more would you like us to know?” essays—by discussing their family history. That strategy can sometimes be effective, but the key is to avoid having too much of the essay focused on someone else. If you want to give the admissions committee some background as to where your values come from, make sure that you keep the discussion of other people to a minimum and that you transition quickly back to yourself. You should always play the lead role in your application essays.

2. Starting with the Conclusion
At the beginning of your essay, make sure that you truly start there…at the beginning! So, when the Yale School of Management (SOM), for example, asks about the biggest commitment you have made in your life, you should not write, “My biggest commitment was to my brother, whom I encouraged to return to college and helped get his first job, where he was just promoted.” You would give away the whole story, including the outcome, in the first sentence! What would hold the reader’s attention for the rest of the essay? Instead, make sure that the opener for your essay actually opens. Consider this much more effective alternative: “When my brother dropped out of college, I knew we had only a short window of time in which to get him back on track.” This kind of opener makes the reader want to find out what happened next; they want to continue reading.

3. Telling Rather than Showing
In the sample opening sentence from the previous tip, not only does the writer immediately reveal the outcome of their story but they are also “telling” what they did, rather than “showing” their actions in the form of a narrative. If you provide the reader with the details of your story and lead them to reach the conclusion themselves, you do something much more important—you reveal your actions, your decision-making capability, and your authenticity! By directly telling the reader the conclusion and discussing it at length without context, you risk sounding arrogant, but showing the reader creates an engaging and effective essay. For more examples, read this helpful blog post.

4. Pandering to the Admissions Committee
After providing what a school has asked for in its essay prompt, applicants often feel the urge to add some measure of flattery to their essay or to tie their answer directly to the school in some way. For example, in the aforementioned Yale SOM essay prompt, the school asks applicants to discuss their biggest commitment, but it does not ask them to explain how that commitment relates to Yale. Yet a candidate might feel compelled to end their essay by writing, “Like I committed to my brother, I will commit to my brilliant and talented classmates at Yale, where together, we will benefit from the school’s unparalleled curriculum.” The admissions officers do not need to be convinced of the caliber of their MBA program, and you certainly do not want them to feel you are fawning or just plain overdoing it. Trust in the strength of your candidacy, rather than pleading or relying on compliments. Of course, if an MBA program does ask some version of “Why our school?,” you will need to do your research and provide that information, but refrain from addressing the topic otherwise. For more on this topic, check out this blog post.

5. Not Answering the Question
This tip might sound obvious, but experience has shown us that it needs to be said: always answer the question the school is asking. Many applicants start out by doing so, but then they keep tweaking their essay and getting input from others until they end up somewhere completely different. Some candidates will even cut and paste an essay from another school and try to fit a square peg into a round hole to save themselves the time and effort necessary to create a whole new essay—but this strategy does not work. When you believe you are truly done writing your essay, step back and read the school’s question again and take a moment to reflect. Did you tell the admissions committee what you wanted to say, or did you give them the information they asked for in the essay prompt? Make sure it is the latter.
   1  ...  164   165   166   167   168  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts