Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 23:24 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 23:24
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7988 [140]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 838 [20]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64604 [10]
Given Kudos: 1824
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 897 [8]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
eybrj2 wrote:
The mdical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtualy all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

a)
b) Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's
C) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
d) Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners, disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
e) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadians dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

<Reasoning>

a) should put comma after circadian dysrhythmia but still a little awkward even if put a comma.

b) the thousands of the body's -> wrong.

c) same as a

d) & e) -> don't know.

For me, d & e look the same. just the location of this part "As jet lag is called by medical practitioners" is different.
Some said that e is cause and effect.
What's the differences between d and e in terms of meaning if there are differences?

The phrase 'as X' is used in two ways/contexts:
1. In the context of describing something: in that case, this phrase should come immediately after the word that it refers to. This is what is happening in D.

For e.g., India, as Bharath is called by many parts of the world, is a fast developing country.
Here, both the names 'India' & 'Bharat' refer to same country.

2. In the context of cause and effect: in this case, the phrase should come first as the cause of something and then the sentence should complete with that something as the effect.

For e.,g,. As India adopted liberal trade policies, it is able to make successful huge business with many countries in the world.

Hope this is clear.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1265 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually [#permalink]
Quote:
The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

Quote:
(B) Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's

generis AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

I want to confirm that there is no subject verb disagreement is (B)

that = refers back to name
subject = practitioners (plural)
plural verb = use

I agree with the modifier issues discussed in (B) on this thread. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [3]
Given Kudos: 522
Send PM
Kudos
(B) Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's

In addition to the reasons stated above by some of the other members, another angle to eliminate B is to look at what all is modifying. IMO, all should modify body's and not the thousands. At least that is what I used to eliminate.

And yes, I don't think there is any S-V disagreement in option B. adkikani
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Chembeti wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
The mdical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtualy all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

a)
b) Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's
C) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
d) Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners, disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
e) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadians dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

<Reasoning>

a) should put comma after circadian dysrhythmia but still a little awkward even if put a comma.

b) the thousands of the body's -> wrong.

c) same as a

d) & e) -> don't know.

For me, d & e look the same. just the location of this part "As jet lag is called by medical practitioners" is different.
Some said that e is cause and effect.
What's the differences between d and e in terms of meaning if there are differences?

The phrase 'as X' is used in two ways/contexts:
1. In the context of describing something: in that case, this phrase should come immediately after the word that it refers to. This is what is happening in D.

For e.g., India, as Bharath is called by many parts of the world, is a fast developing country.
Here, both the names 'India' & 'Bharat' refer to same country.

2. In the context of cause and effect: in this case, the phrase should come first as the cause of something and then the sentence should complete with that something as the effect.

For e.,g,. As India adopted liberal trade policies, it is able to make successful huge business with many countries in the world.

Hope this is clear.

GMATNinja egmat

Still not clear why E is wrong here. Please guide.

Chembeti as far as i understand, As is used in 4 ways: comparison, simultaneous action, reason and role/ function. Which of the 4 roles is "as" playing here in D ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64604 [3]
Given Kudos: 1824
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
azhrhasan wrote:
Still not clear why E is wrong here. Please guide.

Chembeti as far as i understand, As is used in 4 ways: comparison, simultaneous action, reason and role/ function. Which of the 4 roles is "as" playing here in D ?

Quote:
(D) Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners, disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

(E) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadians dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

The only difference between (D) and (E) is the placement of the words, "as jet lag is called by medical practitioners".

In choice (D), this comma-separated group of words very clearly gives us more information about "Circadian dysrhythmia".

The problem with choice (E) is that the opening modifier seems to modify the entire subsequent clause--that is, the main subject AND verb of the sentence, "circadians dysrhythmia disrupts". This leads to nonsensical interpretations... are we saying that circadians dysrhythmia disrupts the body's processes SINCE it is called jet lag by medical practitioners? Does circadians dysrhythmia disrupt the body's processes WHILE jet lag is called by medical practitioners?

Does choice (E) break any obvious grammar rules? No, but the structure of (E) creates meaning issues that are avoided in choice (D). That makes (D) the better choice!

Quote:
@Chembeti as far as i understand, As is used in 4 ways: comparison, simultaneous action, reason and role/ function. Which of the 4 roles is "as" playing here in D ?

Another public service announcement: memorizing esoteric rules and then applying them too rigidly usually does more harm than good. Rather than thinking about which of the four categories "as" falls into, just think about the meaning of the example you're reading!

More broadly, you want to think really hard about each answer choice. Sure, you have to know certain grammar rules, but if you are trying to memorize/apply an endless list of grammar "rules" to avoid thinking really hard about the meaning, then you're barking up the wrong tree. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
@veritaskharsima@GMATNinjaTwo@GMATNinja@chetantwou@generis
what is the subject according to you?
in option a and c if subject is the medical name for jet lag is the subject then why circadian dysrhythmia is not in comma pair .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Send PM
GMATNinja Hi GMAT Ninja , Could please explain why is Option B wrong. Reproducing below for quick reference.

The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

(A) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's

(C) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

(D) Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners, disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

(E) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadians dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja ,daagh

I don't understand the modifier issue in choice B. Can you please help me ?

I find this construction "Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, ....." better than this "Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners.....".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Dear IanStewart

It would be of great help if you could elaborate on the following split between B and D that remains uncommented.

B. ...disrupts all of the thousands of the body’s neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.
D. ...disrupts all of the body’s thousands of neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

I. I have learnt that “the + numerical expression” generally indicates exclusivity. i.e., it indicates that these items/people/whatever are everything that exists. So, if I say “the fifteen looters were arrested”, then I mean that there were only fifteen looters. If there were sixteen, then writing “the fifteen” would be incorrect.

Similarly, the phrase “the thousands of the body’s neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes” in B doesn’t make sense to me. I think that the number following “the” should be exhaustive and tell the total number of all processes. For example, if 1658 processes existed in human body in total, then writing “all of the 1658 of the body’s processes” would make sense. Therefore, the phrase “the thousands of” is incorrect. My question: Is my reasoning valid?

II. The phrase “the body’s” in D talks about the body that experienced jet lag, and thus makes sense.

Thank you very much for your thoughts!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9470 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JonShukhrat wrote:
I. I have learnt that “the + numerical expression” generally indicates exclusivity. i.e., it indicates that these items/people/whatever are everything that exists. So, if I say “the fifteen looters were arrested”, then I mean that there were only fifteen looters. If there were sixteen, then writing “the fifteen” would be incorrect.

Similarly, the phrase “the thousands of the body’s neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes” in B doesn’t make sense to me. I think that the number following “the” should be exhaustive and tell the total number of all processes. For example, if 1658 processes existed in human body in total, then writing “all of the 1658 of the body’s processes” would make sense. Therefore, the phrase “the thousands of” is incorrect. My question: Is my reasoning valid?

Yes, using a definite article with a number does suggest that number is exhaustive, as in your looters sentence, though I'd add that it could also be used with an estimate -- for example, "the 50,000 spectators cheered when the home team scored" suggests that all of the fans cheered, but only that their number was approximately 50,000. Similarly, it's fine to say "the dozens of fans" or "the thousands of fans"; the number need not be exact, if that was the reason for your question.

In this sentence, if it said jetlag disrupts "thousands of the body's processes", without the word "the", that would only say that jetlag disrupts a lot of processes. We wouldn't know if there are thousands or millions of processes in total. If that was the intended meaning here, I don't see another phrase that could be used. Instead, this sentence is trying to convey that jetlag affects almost every process. So it is correct to use "the", and "disrupts the thousands of the body's processes" or "disrupts the body's thousands of processes" both convey that meaning. The phrasing at the end of the correct answer makes clear what is being disrupted, and is concise, so it's preferable to the phrasing used in answer B, but it's the subject issue earlier in the sentence that decisively makes B incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V33
Send PM
Meaning based approach is the best way to tackle this question. D. Is the only option that retains the meaning of the question.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Schools: Simon '25
Send PM
The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
tan1107 wrote:
@veritaskharsima@GMATNinjaTwo@GMATNinja@chetantwou@generis
what is the subject according to you?
in option a and c if subject is the medical name for jet lag is the subject then why circadian dysrhythmia is not in comma pair .

In (A) and (C), "circadian dysrhythmia" is the subject. "The medical name for jet lag" is modifies that subject.

ShreyKapil08 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja ,daagh

I don't understand the modifier issue in choice B. Can you please help me ?

I find this construction "Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, ....." better than this "Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners.....".

puneet1992 wrote:
GMATNinja Hi GMAT Ninja , Could please explain why is Option B wrong. Reproducing below for quick reference.

(A) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's

(C) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

In choice (B), we have, "Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts...". The problem with this construction is that it implies that the NAME is what disrupts the processes. Even though (B) and (D) have the same subject, (D) makes it more clear that it's the condition, not the name, that disrupts the processes.

Because (D) is the clearer, more logical option, it's our winner.

I hope that helps!

Hello GMATNinja VeritasKarishma egmat
Doesn't Option A also imply that it is the medical name that is disrupting those processes?
Also, why A is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27 (Online)
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
What's wrong with C? GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66911 [2]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes, (A), (B) and (C), all have the same error - They imply that the name is the problem and not the actual condition.

(A): The medical name ... disrupts ...
(B): Circadian dysrhythmia, the name ..., disrupts ... (the appositive renames "Circadian dysrhythmia" as "the name that ..." So it seems we are referring to the name and not the actual condition)
(C): The medical name ... disrupts ...

Also, (A) and (C) need a comma after "circadian dysrhythmia"

Contrast this with (D)
(D): Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called ..., disrupts ...
Here we know that Circadian dysrhythmia disrupts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
hi can anyone explains the difference between:

all of the thousands of the body's processes vs all of the body's thousands of in other examples ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM

Option Elimination -

(A) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's - the modifier "The medical name for jet lag" modifies the subject of the sentence "circadian dysrhythmia" means as if the name disrupts virtually all....not the intended meaning which is Circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all ....

(B) Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's - The modifier "the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag" modifying the subject "Circadian dysrhythmia" implies if the name disrupts virtually all.... Wrong meaning

(C) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of - The modifier "The medical name for jet lag" modifies the subject "circadian dysrhythmia" implies as if the medical name disrupts....Wrong meaning.

(D) Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners, disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of - The modifier here "as jet lag is called by medical practitioners" is next to the subject "Circadian dysrhythmia" and correctly modifies the subject only "Circadian dysrhythmia" and the sentence convey the right meaning.

(E) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of - The placement of the modifier here can also modify the subject and verb meaning circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually ....while jet lag is called by medical practitioners. Wrong
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts