GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2012, 14:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:26) correct 63% (01:31) wrong based on 785 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

(A) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's

(B) Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's

(C) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

(D) Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners, disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

(E) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadians dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

http://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,922928,00.html

That pace led some observers of the diplomatic community to wonder if the Secretary's health and judgment in the crucial Falkland Islands negotiations could withstand the stress of such globe-hopping. The London press thought not. Noting Haig's drawn, tired features after one meeting, the Daily Mirror trumpeted, HOW MUCH MORE CAN HAIG'S HEART STAND? Haig's heart is not the only questionable factor. Virtually all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal and metabolic processes are also taxed in global jet travel.

Circadian dysrhythmia, the medical name for jet lag, is a recognized disorder. Zooming through time zones upsets biological clocks and desynchronizes functions such as sleep, hunger, elimination and sex. The body resists its forcible relocation in the external world with numerous warning signals: sleepiness, insomnia, dimmed vision, throat discomfort and irritability.

<Reasoning>

a) should put comma after circadian dysrhythmia but still a little awkward even if put a comma.

b) the thousands of the body's -> wrong.

c) same as a

d) & e) -> don't know.

For me, d & e look the same. just the location of this part "As jet lag is called by medical practitioners" is different.
Some said that e is cause and effect.
What's the differences between d and e in terms of meaning if there are differences?
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
GRE 1: Q800 V800

GRE 2: Q800 V800

Re: The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 23:15
I think that the major issues have mostly been addressed, but let's think about how an expert test-taker would approach this question.

At Manhattan GMAT, we rely mostly on differences among the answer choices, "splits", to tell us what grammatical problems are at issue in the sentence. Sometimes, though, structures in the original sentence signal a grammatical issue.

For instance, if the sentence begins with a modifying phrase or clause, then some of the wrong answers will almost certainly include misplaced modifiers. This sentence begins with the The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia.... When a sentence begins noun phrase, noun phrase..., one of those noun phrases is likely an appositive, a noun used as an adjective.

(By the way, I've actually used a couple of appositives in this reply, in differences among the answer choices, "splits", the noun "splits" modifies the noun phrase differences among the answer choices, and in an appositive, a noun used as an adjective, the noun phrase a noun used as an adjective modifies the noun an appositive. )

Because this sentence begins with this structure, let's make sure one of the nouns correctly modifies the other.
In A, the subject of the main clause is not the name "circadian dysrhythmia" but the disorder itself, and the medical name for jet lag describes the name rather than the disorder. Eliminate A.
In B, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag plausibly modifies the subject circadian dysrhythmia, but that makes the subject of the sentence the name rather than the disorder itself. But surely the name doesn't disrupt the body's systems. Eliminate B.
In C, the phrase the medical name for jet lag incorrectly modifies the subject, which is is the disorder rather than the name of the disorder. Eliminate C.
D doesn't use the same sort of modifier, so let it stand.
E doesn't use the same sort of modifier, so let it stand.

I've assumed here that we look at just one issue at a time, and of course that's not always true, but it's a good discipline. Now we'll have to turn to some other issue to eliminate the remaining wrong answer. Chembeti's account of E is basically right, a clause like as X is known must follow the name it describes, not precede it.

(By the way, as at the beginning of a sentence can be reasonably glossed in quite a number of ways: simultaneously with "As the drug takes effect, you will begin to feel lightheaded"; because, "As you signed a release, we will not be held responsible for the effects of the drug trial"; in the capacity of, "As your doctor, I recommend that you not participate in this trial"; etc.)
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 09:06
eybrj2 wrote:
The mdical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtualy all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

a)
b) Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's
C) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
d) Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners, disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
e) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadians dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

<Reasoning>

a) should put comma after circadian dysrhythmia but still a little awkward even if put a comma.

c) same as a

d) & e) -> don't know.

For me, d & e look the same. just the location of this part "As jet lag is called by medical practitioners" is different.
What's the differences between d and e in terms of meaning if there are differences?

The phrase 'as X' is used in two ways/contexts:
1. In the context of describing something: in that case, this phrase should come immediately after the word that it refers to. This is what is happening in D.

For e.g., India, as Bharath is called by many parts of the world, is a fast developing country.
Here, both the names 'India' & 'Bharat' refer to same country.

2. In the context of cause and effect: in this case, the phrase should come first as the cause of something and then the sentence should complete with that something as the effect.

For e.,g,. As India adopted liberal trade policies, it is able to make successful huge business with many countries in the world.

Hope this is clear.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2012, 15:13
a) The medical name for jetlag => is not disrupting the body's processes. Jetlag is!
b) all of the thousands of the body's => awkward
c) same as a)
d) corrects the mistake of a)
e) As jetlag is called => awkward

D is correct
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2012, 23:55
Answer is D.It is not the medical name which does the disruption.Its rather the jet lag which does it. :)
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 09:15
srezzi wrote:
a) The medical name for jetlag => is not disrupting the body's processes. Jetlag is!
b) all of the thousands of the body's => awkward
c) same as a)
d) corrects the mistake of a)
e) As jetlag is called => awkward

D is correct

B & E gives wrong impressions..

B gives an impression that the disease is disrupting thousands of bodies (of course it uses body's, but still....)

E says because it is called by medical practitioners jet lag is disrupting. So, if not called by them, it won't disrupt?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 23:57
D is the correct as circadians dysrhythmia followed by its modifying phrase seems right whereas "As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadians dysrhythmia " seems not right. So go with D.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2013, 10:45
MichaelS wrote:
I think that the major issues have mostly been addressed, but let's think about how an expert test-taker would approach this question.

At Manhattan GMAT, we rely mostly on differences among the answer choices, "splits", to tell us what grammatical problems are at issue in the sentence. Sometimes, though, structures in the original sentence signal a grammatical issue.

For instance, if the sentence begins with a modifying phrase or clause, then some of the wrong answers will almost certainly include misplaced modifiers. This sentence begins with the The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia.... When a sentence begins noun phrase, noun phrase..., one of those noun phrases is likely an appositive, a noun used as an adjective.

(By the way, I've actually used a couple of appositives in this reply, in differences among the answer choices, "splits", the noun "splits" modifies the noun phrase differences among the answer choices, and in an appositive, a noun used as an adjective, the noun phrase a noun used as an adjective modifies the noun an appositive. )

Because this sentence begins with this structure, let's make sure one of the nouns correctly modifies the other.
In A, the subject of the main clause is not the name "circadian dysrhythmia" but the disorder itself, and the medical name for jet lag describes the name rather than the disorder. Eliminate A.
In B, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag plausibly modifies the subject circadian dysrhythmia, but that makes the subject of the sentence the name rather than the disorder itself. But surely the name doesn't disrupt the body's systems. Eliminate B.
In C, the phrase the medical name for jet lag incorrectly modifies the subject, which is is the disorder rather than the name of the disorder. Eliminate C.

I've assumed here that we look at just one issue at a time, and of course that's not always true, but it's a good discipline. Now we'll have to turn to some other issue to eliminate the remaining wrong answer. Chembeti's account of E is basically right, a clause like as X is known must follow the name it describes, not precede it.

(By the way, as at the beginning of a sentence can be reasonably glossed in quite a number of ways: simultaneously with "As the drug takes effect, you will begin to feel lightheaded"; because, "As you signed a release, we will not be held responsible for the effects of the drug trial"; in the capacity of, "As your doctor, I recommend that you not participate in this trial"; etc.)

I am not very clear on B .

If u take out the modifier - it reads as
Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's <> .
It is not saying that " the name disrupts virtually all of ......." , but rather is saying " Circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the....." , which is the intended meaning ?..

I don't know where is it that I am going wrong .
Appreciate if you can help clarify on this.

Thanks,
Jyothi
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2013, 22:34
gmacforjyoab wrote:
MichaelS wrote:

If u take out the modifier - it reads as
Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's <> .
It is not saying that " the name disrupts virtually all of ......." , but rather is saying " Circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the....." , which is the intended meaning ?..

I don't know where is it that I am going wrong .
Appreciate if you can help clarify on this.

Thanks,
Jyothi

Say I never heard of Circadian dysrhythmia

Circadian dysrhythmia, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's <> .

Reading the above sentence, I would wish to know What is Circadian dysrhythmia ? And the noun phrase answers this as -- the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag.

So what I infer is Circadian dysrhythmia is the name and following your approach, I further infer from the given sentence that the name disrupts body's neural processes. It sounds as if jet lag had been named differently, it would never disrupt the body's metabolism.

The above noun phrase will sound best in a sentence where we talk about the name itself.

e.g:

Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, is coined by *some doctor*.

-- as in the above sentence the focal point of the discussion is the name and we are not concerned about the medical condition.

Hope the above explanation helped you a bit
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:47
gmacforjyoab wrote:

B has a modifier issue. It says:

Circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

"thousands" is intended to modify "processes" (neural, hormonal, and metabolic), while in B, "thousands" seems to be modifying "body's"!!
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2019, 08:11
Quote:
The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

Quote:
(B) Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's

generis AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

I want to confirm that there is no subject verb disagreement is (B)

that = refers back to name
subject = practitioners (plural)
plural verb = use

I agree with the modifier issues discussed in (B) on this thread. :)

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2019, 23:57
GMATNinja

Can you please help me to eliminate B
Manager
Manager
S
The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2019, 08:09

In addition to the reasons stated above by some of the other members, another angle to eliminate B is to look at what all is modifying. IMO, all should modify body's and not the thousands. At least that is what I used to eliminate.

And yes, I don't think there is any S-V disagreement in option B. adkikani
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2019, 19:24
adkikani wrote:
generis AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

I want to confirm that there is no subject verb disagreement is (B)

that = refers back to name
subject = practitioners (plural)
plural verb = use

I agree with the modifier issues discussed in (B) on this thread. :)
You're right about the SVA in that option.

1. The use is for medical practitioners.
and
2. The disrupts is for Circadian dysrhythmia.
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 18:39

A and C seem to indicate that the medical name does the disrupting.
Also, "X disrupts all of the thousands of the body's" indicates a different relationship from saying "the body's thousands". It is the body that has possession of the neural, hormonal and metabolic processes, not the thousands.
(A) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's
(C) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

(D) Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners, disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

(E) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
We would typically say "as x is reffered to" or "as X is called" when referring to a term preceding the explanation.
E.g. "Maccas, as the aussies call McDonalds, is a fast food chain"
E also seems to indicate that as X occurs, Y occurs i,e, As X is called, Y disrupts. I'm not sure if i've misinterpreted this.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2019, 05:43
Chembeti wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
The mdical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtualy all of the thousands of the body's neural, hormonal, and metabolic processes.

a)
b) Circadian dysrhythmia, the name that medical practitioners use for jet lag, disrupts virtually all of the thousands of the body's
C) The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
d) Circadian dysrhythmia, as jet lag is called by medical practitioners, disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of
e) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadians dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

<Reasoning>

c) same as a

d) & e) -> don't know.

The phrase 'as X' is used in two ways/contexts:
1. In the context of describing something: in that case, this phrase should come immediately after the word that it refers to. This is what is happening in D.

For e.g., India, as Bharath is called by many parts of the world, is a fast developing country.
Here, both the names 'India' & 'Bharat' refer to same country.

2. In the context of cause and effect: in this case, the phrase should come first as the cause of something and then the sentence should complete with that something as the effect.

For e.,g,. As India adopted liberal trade policies, it is able to make successful huge business with many countries in the world.

Hope this is clear.

GMATNinja egmat

Still not clear why E is wrong here. Please guide.

Chembeti as far as i understand, As is used in 4 ways: comparison, simultaneous action, reason and role/ function. Which of the 4 roles is "as" playing here in D ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2019, 19:58
azhrhasan wrote:
Still not clear why E is wrong here. Please guide.

Chembeti as far as i understand, As is used in 4 ways: comparison, simultaneous action, reason and role/ function. Which of the 4 roles is "as" playing here in D ?

Quote:

(E) As jet lag is called by medical practitioners, circadians dysrhythmia disrupts virtually all of the body's thousands of

The only difference between (D) and (E) is the placement of the words, "as jet lag is called by medical practitioners".

In choice (D), this comma-separated group of words very clearly gives us more information about "Circadian dysrhythmia".

The problem with choice (E) is that the opening modifier seems to modify the entire subsequent clause--that is, the main subject AND verb of the sentence, "circadians dysrhythmia disrupts". This leads to nonsensical interpretations... are we saying that circadians dysrhythmia disrupts the body's processes SINCE it is called jet lag by medical practitioners? Does circadians dysrhythmia disrupt the body's processes WHILE jet lag is called by medical practitioners?

Does choice (E) break any obvious grammar rules? No, but the structure of (E) creates meaning issues that are avoided in choice (D). That makes (D) the better choice!

Quote:
@Chembeti as far as i understand, As is used in 4 ways: comparison, simultaneous action, reason and role/ function. Which of the 4 roles is "as" playing here in D ?

Another public service announcement: memorizing esoteric rules and then applying them too rigidly usually does more harm than good. Rather than thinking about which of the four categories "as" falls into, just think about the meaning of the example you're reading!

More broadly, you want to think really hard about each answer choice. Sure, you have to know certain grammar rules, but if you are trying to memorize/apply an endless list of grammar "rules" to avoid thinking really hard about the meaning, then you're barking up the wrong tree. :)

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2019, 19:58

The medical name for jet lag, circadian dysrhythmia disrupts virtually

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics