Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Re: The MGMAT CR guide suggests using a strategy called [#permalink]

Originally posted by username123 on 20 Feb 2010, 13:56.
Last edited by username123 on 22 Oct 2016, 13:01, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
 Q40  V35 GMAT 2: 670  Q44  V38
Send PM
Diagramming may be useful as you are first learning to deal with CR questions, especially challenging ones. If it works for you great, but I would find it real time consuming and quite frankly, a distraction.

When I did the LSAT a few years ago my best technique was intense, teetering on delusional, amounts of practice. You'll begin to see patterns, identify common tricks and traps, and you'll progress as a result - without diagramming. I found even when talking with friends I'd be in autopilot mode thinking "what would strength what he just said, what assumption did he just make", etc. hahaha

If it helps great but I'd think it would slow me down too much. Maybe just save it for the harder ones?

hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
If it suits you well, use it; else, don't fret. BUT, I would recommend you to try it. Don't expect magic to happen instantly, only with practice you'll get the hang of it.

I use it - always. Though, not in the similar way as described in the book, but just chalking out key words - it helps me form a mental picture and separates Premise from Conclusion.

Over time, I've managed complete a question under 1.5 mins.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I learned to not diagram CR during my LSAT days. I had to skip the entire diagramming section in the MGMAT CR guide. I found it way too distracting and time consuming. The only potential benefit I see is that since GMAT isn't a paper-based test, you cannot make notes on the question/answer choices. Writing keywords down may help with recall.

Try and see how you like it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 956 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
username123 wrote:
does anyone know if the powerscore cr bible suggests diagramming? it's taking me 90 seconds just to diagram.

Hope you are referring to Arrow Diagrams e.g A-->B.
Power score bible does uses Arrow Diagrams e.g A-->B. for conditional and cause and effect reasoning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Idk I found it ultimately distracting and was able to consistently get 100% of my CR problems right w/o any fancy tricks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I am using the MGMAT CR book and I do find diagramming to be a great strategy but it takes lot of time. So it would be better to reserve this for questions that we find hard. I do jot down a few imp thngs as I read a passage for CR
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Send PM