Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 17:03 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 17:03
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3898 [119]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [20]
Given Kudos: 1835
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [8]
Given Kudos: 270
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3898 [0]
Send PM
Re: The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered [#permalink]
Quote:
The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered generation of electricity is achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload electrical grids with sudden voltage increases

A. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload
B. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, which meets demand but without overloading.
C. how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, a flow that meets demand but does not overload.
D. how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, but a flow that meets demand without overloading
E. how a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source can be achieved, which meets demand but does not overload.

The most vexing problem is "NOUN" the parallelism is maintained only when before and after part of "is" in same

but in option C "how to achieve a constant flow" is a phrase

Can some one explain
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8642 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered [#permalink]
Bookmarks
RaviChandra wrote:
Quote:
The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered generation of electricity is achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload electrical grids with sudden voltage increases

A. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload
B. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, which meets demand but without overloading.
C. how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, a flow that meets demand but does not overload.
D. how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, but a flow that meets demand without overloading
E. how a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source can be achieved, which meets demand but does not overload.

The most vexing problem is "NOUN" the parallelism is maintained only when before and after part of "is" in same

but in option C "how to achieve a constant flow" is a phrase

Can some one explain

Hi RaviChandra

The basic structure of a sentence is: Subject + Verb + Object (S-V-O)
We do not have any rule that requires S and O must be parallel. S and V, however, must follow the subject-verb agreement rules.

For example:
My weakness is that I don't know how to spend on my salary

Subject: my weakness is a noun
Object: "that I don't know how to spend on my salary" is even a clause.

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3898 [0]
Send PM
Hi Thankyou for the explanations. I was referring to "Watch out for Link verbs" Section in Chapter 4 "Parallelism Strategy" (MGMAT)

This part says,

Wrong: The bouquet of flowers WAS a giving of love.

The two sides of the linking verb was are the bouquet and a giving. These two sides are not as structurally
parallel as possible. In order to achieve true parallelism, we can rewrite the sentence replacing giving
with the noun gift, so that the two sides of the linking verb are as structurally similar as possible.

Right: The bouquet of flowers WAS a gift of love.

Can you please tell if i have inferred this wrong.... i bit a confused
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8642 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
RaviChandra wrote:
Hi Thankyou for the explanations. I was referring to "Watch out for Link verbs" Section in Chapter 4 "Parallelism Strategy" (MGMAT)

This part says,

Wrong: The bouquet of flowers WAS a giving of love.

The two sides of the linking verb was are the bouquet and a giving. These two sides are not as structurally
parallel as possible. In order to achieve true parallelism, we can rewrite the sentence replacing giving
with the noun gift, so that the two sides of the linking verb are as structurally similar as possible.

Right: The bouquet of flowers WAS a gift of love.

Can you please tell if i have inferred this wrong.... i bit a confused

Hi RaviChandra

I gotcha :)

You misunderstood what MGMAT wants to convey. The book means subject and object should be parallel in terms of meaning.

For example: The bouquet of flowers WAS a giving of love.
The bouquet is something real, physical. It can't be an action "giving" (gerund form of verb give) ==> You must change a giving to a gift.

That's the idea the book wants to tell you.

Please see the sentence right below the example you quoted in page 60 ==> see the underlined part "in meaning".

Hope it's clear now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Need help to understand why 'C' is a better option than 'E'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [4]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AOD wrote:
Need help to understand why 'C' is a better option than 'E'

On GMAT "which" should refer to a noun. In case of E "which" modifies the entire clause, and this is unacceptable (tho in speaking language we do so)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Option B says that natural source meets the demand and option C says that the flow meets the demand. I guess option B should be correct as the natural source which is unpredictable is meeting the demand.

Please advise if I am wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

A. achieving a constant flow of power from an unpred-ictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
tapasgupta wrote:
Option B says that natural source meets the demand and option C says that the flow meets the demand. I guess option B should be correct as the natural source which is unpredictable is meeting the demand.

Please advise if I am wrong.

Hi tapasgupta, To clarify this let us understand the intended meaning of sentence
- that the flow should be constant
- that the flow should not overload the system
Now, refer here the subtle diff. that the system is not overloaded by the natural source but the flow and that the natural source does not meet the demand but the flow driven from the natural source meets the demand. Also, note that natural source by itself can not overload the system there has to be something from the unpredictable natural source that may overload it.
Also, check that the demand has to be met but overload has to be avoided but option B puts it as in the demand would be met even if the system is overloaded but the overloading should be avoided. For the sake of quick reference I am pasting both the options below.
Hope this helps :-)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone explain why C is not a run-on? The two clauses before and after the comma seem to capable of standing alone as sentences.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [3]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Kudos
arvindsiv No, option C is not run-on. The second part of the sentence is an absolute phrase modifying preceding clause.
absolute phrase = noun+'that' clause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.39
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
yo - remove those periods...wtf?!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 710
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
Send PM
RaviChandra wrote:
The most vexing problem faced by researchers exploring wind-powered generation of electricity is achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload electrical grids with sudden voltage increases.

(A) achieving a constant flow of power from an unpred-ictable natural source that meets demand, but so the flow does not overload

(B) achieving a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, which meets demand but without overloading

(C) how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, a flow that meets demand but does not overload

(D) how to achieve a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source, but a flow that meets demand without overloading

(E) how a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source can be achieved, which meets demand but does not overload

Only C are E are close . In option C , "a flow " is referring to " a constant flow of power from an unpredictable natural source". So "a flow" is an appositive. The structure is fine.

In option E , "which" should refer to " flow " but is far from the 'flow". "which" is referring to anything clearly here.

Option C is the correct option.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 403 [2]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
the first thing is
" how to do" can work as a noun. evidence is that
how to learn gmat is a problem. this sentence is correct.
so, "how to do" working as a noun can be parallel with "problem".

the second point is why not "achieving" but "how to do". we can not say " problem is achieving" because it is not logic to say so. the problem can not be achieving logically. logically, we have to say " problem is how to achieve".

in short, "how to achieve" is parallel grammatically to "problem" and are logically to go with "problem".

this logic thinking can be seen in different view. look at the point from idiomatic perspective.

" how to achieve" is idiomatic. "achieving" is not idiomatic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I was between option B and C. I went with B because I thought option C is a run on sentence. "a" was used a s a connector between the two sentences.

Can someone clarify the concept for me? why "a flow" is used to connect the two sentences?

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4797 [7]
Given Kudos: 676
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos