Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619259 [17]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [10]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [4]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: The numbers 1, 2,..., 9 are arranged in a 3 X 3 square grid in such a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The average value in one cell of the table is 5. So on average, each row sums to 15. But each row-sum is the same. They can't all be above average or below-average (it's never possible for everything in a set to be above or below the average of the set), so each row must sum to exactly 15, and the same is true of each column and diagonal.

So the top row is 6 7 2. Now we can think about the middle column: it has a '7' in it, so the other two entries sum to 8. They can't be 4 and 4, 2 and 6, or 1 and 7, because we can't repeat numbers. They must be 5 and 3, in some order. And if the middle entry were 3, we get an impossible situation looking at either diagonal (we have 6 and 3, and to get 15 as a sum, we'd need another 6, or looking at the other diagonal, we have 2 and 3, which means we need to put a 10 in the bottom left, which we can't do).

So we must have a '5' in the middle, and a 3 in the bottom middle cell.

You can instead notice right away that '5' must be in the middle no matter what. Nick demonstrated that algebraically, but you can see why that must be true without algebra. Say we put '4' in the middle. There needs to be a '1' somewhere -- in a row, column, or diagonal. That row, column or diagonal needs to sum to 15, so the missing value needs to be 10, and we can't put '10' in this grid. So we can't have '4' in the middle, nor anything smaller, and analogously, we can't have '6' or higher, because we need to put a '9' somewhere, and then we get a sum that is too large. Once we know '5' is in the middle, filling in the top row then lets us deduce the middle-bottom value almost immediately.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Re: The numbers 1, 2,..., 9 are arranged in a 3 X 3 square grid in such a [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
The numbers 1, 2,..., 9 are arranged in a 3 X 3 square grid in such a way that each number occurs once and the entries along each column, each row, and each of the two diagonals add up to the same value. If the top left and the top right entries of the grid are 6 and 2, respectively, then the bottom middle entry is:

A. 1
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 7

Total of all nine squares is 45. Each row as the same total, so each row must total 15. Top middle must be 7.

Middle column must sum to 15, so the two missing values sum to 8. Can't be 1 and 7 because we already used the 7. Can't be 2 and 6 because we already used both of those. Must be 5 and 3.

The the middle column goes either 753 or 735. If it were 735, we wouldn't have anything that would fit for the bottom left or bottom right, so the middle column must go 753.

Answer choice B.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts