Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619175 [6]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: Human Resources, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Re: The television documentary went beyond the save-the-wildlife pieties [#permalink]
This is a tough one.
I was able to eliminate options other than A and D.
Then, It took me some time to decide.
A is the right answer because-
1. Clearly this example illustrates that______. This means we have to make a conclusion. The conclusion is based on what ?
a. The documentary showed something beyond “save the wildlife” message.
i. This means it could have either shown- Don’t save the wildlife OR saving the wildlife is not enough.
b. Elephant is a “pest” because it damages crops in the night.
2. I notice the words- “Voracious”, “night raiding”, “Country is pressed for food at the same time Elephant is a pest”.
So referring to 1(a)(i), he probably does not want to conclude that “Saving the wildlife is not enough”. He wants to say that “Don’t focus only on saving the wildlife “. Already there seems to be no way to protect the farms from elephants. Preservation may make things worse

Option(D) was the closest competitor. But it seems to be more of a “Way forward” rather than the blank which completes and “illustrates/shows”– “Clearly this example illustrates that_____”
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
The television documentary went beyond the save-the-wildlife pieties [#permalink]
Quote:
The television documentary went beyond the save-the-wildlife pieties of some of those remote from East Africa and showed that in a country pressed for food, the elephant is a pest, and an intelligent pest at that. There appears to be no way to protect East African farms from the voracious foraging of night-raiding elephant herds. Clearly this example illustrates that______

Which one of the following most logically completes the paragraph?

Type: Argument
Conclusion: elephant is a pest
Premise: voracious foraging of night-raiding elephant herds in farms
Answer: (A) the preservation of wildlife may endanger human welfare
Why: “The television documentary went beyond the save-the-wildlife pieties of some of those remote from East Africa” => The author is focused on the flip side of the save-the-wildlife pieties.
GMAT Club Bot
The television documentary went beyond the save-the-wildlife pieties [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts