Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Conclusionx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6619 [123]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4563 [28]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [24]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [20]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce naturally [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) Releasing a general announcement that tulu
plants less than 30 weeks old cannot be
effectively tested for fungal rot
this might help the buyers but not the issue of testing plants before it's sold.

(B) Requiring all tulu plants less than 30 weeks old
to be labeled as such
this will not solve the problem, the problem is - the testing of plant before it get sold

(C) Researching possible ways to test tulu plants
less than 24 weeks old for fungal rot
this can be done but will take time and it's not sure that the new way will be found or not.we want something immediate.

(D) Ensuring that tulu plants not be sold before they
are 30 weeks old
so that all the plants get tested before selling.

(E) Quarantining all tulu plants from horticultural
companies at which any case of fungal rot has
been detected until those[/quote]
this is not a solution, this is an escape and will not bring any positive result.

(D) Wins

Originally posted by thevenus on 03 Aug 2012, 22:20.
Last edited by thevenus on 06 Aug 2012, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce naturally [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) Releasing a general announcement that tulu plants less than 30 weeks old cannot be effectively tested for fungal rot - This wont discourage from buying infected plants - Incorrect

(B) Requiring all tulu plants less than 30 weeks old to be labeled as such - Labelling would not solve the problem at hand - Incorrect

(C) Researching possible ways to test tulu plants less than 24 weeks old for fungal rot - Long term solution rather than a short term one - Incorrect

(D) Ensuring that tulu plants not be sold before they are 30 weeks old - This would make sure the infected plants are identified before sold - Correct

(E) Quarantining all tulu plants from horticultural companies at which any case of fungal rot has been detected until those - Extreme steps to stop infected plants sale - Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [5]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce naturally, and is only bred and sold by specialized horticultural companies. Unfortunately, the tulu is easily devastated by a contagious fungal rot. The government ministry plans to reassure worried gardeners by requiring all tulu plants to be tested for fungal rot before being sold. However, infected plants less than 30 weeks old have generally not built up enough fungal rot in their systems to be detected reliably. And many tulu plants are sold before they are 24 weeks old.

Which of the following, if performed by the ministry, could logically be expected to overcome the problem with their plan to test for the fungal rot?

(A) Releasing a general announcement that tulu plants less than 30 weeks old cannot be effectively tested for fungal rot

(B) Requiring all tulu plants less than 30 weeks old to be labeled as such

(C) Researching possible ways to test tulu plants less than 24 weeks old for fungal rot

(D) Ensuring that tulu plants not be sold before they are 30 weeks old

(E) Quarantining all tulu plants from horticultural companies at which any case of fungal rot has been detected until those tulu plants can be tested for fungal rot
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
elegan wrote:
The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce naturally, and is only bred and sold by specialized horticultural companies. Unfortunately, the tulu is easily devastated by a contagious fungal rot. The government ministry plans to reassure worried gardeners by requiring all tulu plants to be tested for fungal rot before being sold. However, infected plants less than 30 weeks old have generally not built up enough fungal rot in their systems to be detected reliably. And many tulu plants are sold before they are 24 weeks old.

Which of the following, if performed by the ministry, could logically be expected to overcome the problem with their plan to test for the fungal rot?

(A)

Releasing a general announcement that tulu plants less than 30 weeks old cannot be effectively tested for fungal rot

(B)

Requiring all tulu plants less than 30 weeks old to be labeled as such

(C)

Researching possible ways to test tulu plants less than 24 weeks old for fungal rot

(D)

Ensuring that tulu plants not be sold before they are 30 weeks old

(E)

Quarantining all tulu plants from horticultural companies at which any case of fungal rot has been detected until those tulu plants can be tested for fungal rot

----------------
Hi,
Can you explain why (E) would not be the answer choice here? Fine it does seem a bit extreme a measure to take, but it could logically work?
Thanks.

Actually, apart from being extereme E is the only choice which would be most illogical. If you read it carefully- eventually action given in E would not let a company sell tulu plants 'at all' if any single case of fungal rot has been detected there.

A and B both actions are fine - provided they are done together. C is fine again - but not practical and one can not be sure when reasearch would yield a result.

D is the only option that would logically help as company can not sell before 30 weeks and after 30 weeks these can be tested accurately.

Hope it helps. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Karishma/Manhattan experts/,

I feel this question is not a true GMAT style question. Firstly, the right answer as stated by OA(D) is too straight. On GMAT this is usually a trap, GMAT wants us to usually fall for a good looking straight answer, which is not correct.

Secondly, Whatever is given in the question stem in this question is a FACT!! You can't go against it.
Stem states "And many tulu plants are sold before they are 24 weeks old."
Once the question stems says that you can't do anything about it.

The right answer will never go against the question stem. Option D lacks here: "Ensuring that tulu plants not be sold before they are 30 weeks old" Notice how option D asks you to do something that can't be done to ALL the plants because stems clear points many (it can be 1 or it can be all, we don't care! as it long some plants are included) plants plants are sold before they are 24 weeks old.

The reason I am putting it out there is these questions take us away from GMAT way of thinking and it is not a good thing!!
If you have strived hard to understand how GMAT frames questions, you would know what I am talking about here.

EXPERTS please tell us am I right with above break down of the question? This will help me and all others.

Appreciate your help.

-K
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hey all,

Thanks for the comments here, they're really helpful.

It would be amazing if someone could walk me through where my logic is wrong.

I saw both C and D as attractive answers, and chose C. I'll explain my rationale for all answer choices. Does my logic stink anywhere? More importantly, can someone explain why D works isntead of C, and where my logic is wrong?

(A) -- a notice won't reassure gardeners since they are still just as likely to buy fungal-ridden tulus
(B) -- labeling a tulu that is less than 30 weeks old will similarly not help gardeners avoid buying fungal-ridden tulus
(C) To me, C works assuming you can find another way to test plants less than 24 weeks old. Clearly current methods of testing this plant are not good enough. I liked this answer because, assuming the research pays off, the government can still meet their original goal (to reassure gardeners that the plants have been tested). Plus, as an added bonus, this answer choice won't force customers into changing their buying habits -- after all, the fact that customers buy tulus <24 weeks old indicate that they prefer these types of tulus. The only assumption here is that the research pays off...
(D) To me, D works so long as people buy tulus >30 weeks old even though they don't currently do so. As long as the assumption that people will simply buy older tulus (i.e. that there is no preference for young tulus over old tulus), this answer choicew works.
(E) Sounded kind of extreme when I first read it, and C + D looked attractive so I didn't give this one much thought. It seems like it won't necessarily stop people from buying fungal-ridden tulus as the quarentine occurs after the fact. Seems like a weak choice to me.

If someone could explain where my logic sucks on C vs. D, that'd be great :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Hey all,

Can someone please add a very necessary clarification to this question?

Answer choice C - assumes that the research works.
Answer choice D - assumes that people will change behavior and start buying tulus after aged 30 (because, everyone wants to buy older plants.....)

I am struggling to see if my logic in this problem is fundamentally flawed, or if it's just not a good problem. Would be great if an expert (or three) could clarify. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I think all the gmat questions are the reflections of the real cases in the real world. The one you choose need to be much more feasible than any other choice listed. so , i start to think that maybe "applicability" is one of the most important principles. in this question,we may be attracted by some choices like C. But C is harder to enforce than D,right. D is the best way to solve this problem.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Send PM
Kudos