Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:34 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:34
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [40]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644335 [24]
Given Kudos: 86771
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10150 [5]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: There are 5 Rock songs, 6 Pop songs, and 3 Jazz. How many different [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
A

There are 5 Rock songs, 6 Pop songs, and 3 Jazz: R=5, P=6, J=3
N - the number of combination with at least one Rock song and one Pop song

1.Total number of combination: Nt=2^(5+6+3)=2^14
2. The number of combination without Rock songs: Nr=2^(6+3)=2^9
3. The number of combination without Pop songs: Nr=2^(5+3)=2^8
4. The number of combination without Pop and Rock songs: Nr=2^3
5. N=2^14-2^9-2^8+2^3=16384-512-256+8=15624

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t57169 - a similar approach.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 550 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: There are 5 Rock songs, 6 Pop songs, and 3 Jazz. How many different [#permalink]
Kudos
Do we not need to know how many songs constitute an 'album' for this question ?

And walker, can you explain the logic between 2^x for total number of combinations ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10150 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
pmenon wrote:
And walker, can you explain the logic between 2^x for total number of combinations ?

1. we have n songs: S={1,2,3,4....,n}
2. each song may be included or not be included in a list. ( two possibilities)
3. our list of songs we can image like a={1,0,0,1,1,0,1,0,....1} - where 1 - in the list, 1 - out of the list.
4. How many lists we can compose? N=2*2*2......2=2^n
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Re: There are 5 Rock songs, 6 Pop songs, and 3 Jazz. How many [#permalink]
can somebody please explain why ''4. The number of combination without Pop and Rock songs: Nr=2^3'' was not subtracted from the overall combinations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Bunuel I have some doubt on this question, at my understanding the solution of 15624 albums means that one song makes one album correct, If that is the case doesnt that suppouse to be expelcitly stated in the promt. At my understandng and how I approached this question is that i assumed that each album need to have one rock,one pop and one jazz song, so baisicaly one album consists 3 songs of which at least one rock and pop need to be inside teh album. There is my confusion. could you briefly adress my issue here. Thank a lot
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 17376 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kzivrev wrote:
Bunuel I have some doubt on this question, at my understanding the solution of 15624 albums means that one song makes one album correct, If that is the case doesnt that suppouse to be expelcitly stated in the promt. At my understandng and how I approached this question is that i assumed that each album need to have one rock,one pop and one jazz song, so baisicaly one album consists 3 songs of which at least one rock and pop need to be inside teh album. There is my confusion. could you briefly adress my issue here. Thank a lot

Hi kzivrev,

The question keeps a restriction on having at least 1 rock song and 1 pop song in an album. So, an album can have a minimum of 2 songs; that would be the case when there is 1 rock song ,1 pop song and 0 jazz song in the album.

Since, the question does not place any restriction on having a jazz song in the album, an album can be without a jazz song. Hence, your assumption of having minimum of 3 songs in an album is not valid.

If you observe the solution \(2^3*(2^5 - 1)(2^6 - 1) = 15,624.\). Here 1 case has been subtracted from \(2^5\) and \(2^6\) to eliminate the possibility of having 0 rock song or 0 pop song respectively in an album. There is no such elimination of case for jazz songs as there is no restriction of having 1 jazz song in the album.

Hope its clear!

Regards
Harsh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Mayanksharma85 wrote:
can somebody please explain why ''4. The number of combination without Pop and Rock songs: Nr=2^3'' was not subtracted from the overall combinations.

There are 5 Rock songs, 6 Pop songs, and 3 Jazz. How many different albums can be formed using the above repertoire if the albums should contain at least one Rock song and one Pop song?

A. 15,624
B. 16,384
C. 6,144
D. 384
E. 240

There are 3 Jazz songs, each of them can either be included in the album or not, so total of 2 options for each song. Hence, there can be total of 2^3 = 8 different jazz song combination in the album. Notice that those 8 combinations include one combination where none of the jazz songs is included.

Similarly, for 5 Rock songs, there are 2^5 combinations. Since 2^5 will also include one case in which there are 0 rock songs, then we should subtract that one case (the albums should contain at least one Rock song) and we'll get 2^5 - 1.

For 6 Rock songs, there are 2^6 combinations: 2^6 will also include one case in which there are 0 pop songs, thus we should subtract that one case (the albums should contain at least one Pop song) and we'll get 2^6 - 1.

Total = 2^3*(2^5 - 1)(2^6 - 1) = 15,624.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

This way of solving the problem a little bit difficult to comprehend. The solution 2^5 * 2^6 * 2^3 - 2^8 - 2^9 + 2^3 looks easier to understand. However, I still bewilder. Please could you help me to figure out. Why we add 2^3 ( only Jazz album ) instead of subtracting them? Why we aren't subtracting albums that contain only Rock and only Pop songs ?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34643 [1]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
leeto wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Mayanksharma85 wrote:

There are 5 Rock songs, 6 Pop songs, and 3 Jazz. How many different albums can be formed using the above repertoire if the albums should contain at least one Rock song and one Pop song?

A. 15,624
B. 16,384
C. 6,144
D. 384
E. 240

There are 3 Jazz songs, each of them can either be included in the album or not, so total of 2 options for each song. Hence, there can be total of 2^3 = 8 different jazz song combination in the album. Notice that those 8 combinations include one combination where none of the jazz songs is included.

Similarly, for 5 Rock songs, there are 2^5 combinations. Since 2^5 will also include one case in which there are 0 rock songs, then we should subtract that one case (the albums should contain at least one Rock song) and we'll get 2^5 - 1.

For 6 Rock songs, there are 2^6 combinations: 2^6 will also include one case in which there are 0 pop songs, thus we should subtract that one case (the albums should contain at least one Pop song) and we'll get 2^6 - 1.

Hope it's clear.

This way of solving the problem a little bit difficult to comprehend. The solution 2^5 * 2^6 * 2^3 - 2^8 - 2^9 + 2^3 looks easier to understand. However, I still bewilder. Please could you help me to figure out. Why we add 2^3 ( only Jazz album ) instead of subtracting them? Why we aren't subtracting albums that contain only Rock and only Pop songs ?

Hi,
when you are subtracting 2^8, you are looking at the combinations of 5 rock songs and 3 jazz songs and
when you are subtracting 2^9, you are looking at the combinations of 6 Pop songs and 3 jazz songs..
so in both cases the jazz songs are subtracted twice , hence we add 2^3..

If you open up 2^3*(2^5 - 1)(2^6 - 1) it will be 2^5 * 2^6 * 2^3 - 2^8 - 2^9 + 2^3
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Hi,
when you are subtracting 2^8, you are looking at the combinations of 5 rock songs and 3 jazz songs and
when you are subtracting 2^9, you are looking at the combinations of 6 Pop songs and 3 jazz songs..

If you open up 2^3*(2^5 - 1)(2^6 - 1) it will be 2^5 * 2^6 * 2^3 - 2^8 - 2^9 + 2^3

thanks, I think I got it. Could I ask another question about managing albums without songs ( "zero song albums" ) ?
So, do I correctly understand that basically :
2^14 contains one "zero song album"\(R^0 P^0 J^0\)
2^9 contains one "zero song album" too => \(P^0 J^0\)
2^8 contains one "zero song album" too => \(R^0 J^0\)
2^3 contains one "zero song album" too => \(J^0\)

So, at the end, we have \(R^0 P^0 J^0 - P^0 J^0 - R^0 J^0 + J^0 = 0\) => 1("zero song album") - 1("zero song album") - 1("zero song album") + 1("zero song album") = 0 ("zero song album")
To sum up, it is looks like our final solution manages "zero song albums" automatically. That is why we didn't take any additional steps. Is it correct ( sorry if the formula looks a little bit obstruct, hopes you get my concerns ) ?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34643 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
leeto wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Hi,

thanks, I think I got it. Could I ask another question about managing albums without songs ( "zero song albums" ) ?
So, do I correctly understand that basically :
2^14 contains one "zero song album"\(R^0 P^0 J^0\)
2^9 contains one "zero song album" too => \(P^0 J^0\)
2^8 contains one "zero song album" too => \(R^0 J^0\)
2^3 contains one "zero song album" too => \(J^0\)

So, at the end, we have \(R^0 P^0 J^0 - P^0 J^0 - R^0 J^0 + J^0 = 0\) => 1("zero song album") - 1("zero song album") - 1("zero song album") + 1("zero song album") = 0 ("zero song album")
To sum up, it is looks like our final solution manages "zero song albums" automatically. That is why we didn't take any additional steps. Is it correct ( sorry if the formula looks a little bit obstruct, hopes you get my concerns ) ?

yes you are correct on your concept..
Now when you have realized this, It will be easier to understand the straight formula..
\(2^3*(2^5 - 1)(2^6 - 1)\)..
\((2^6 - 1)\) is the ways where atleast one POP song is there, so you have removed one case where none were there..
similarily \((2^5 - 1)\) is the ways where atleast one ROCK song is there, so you have removed one case where none were there.
and \(2^3\) remains as it is as it is possible that NO JAZZ song is there..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Mayanksharma85 wrote:

A. 15,624
B. 16,384
C. 6,144
D. 384
E. 240

Hope it's clear.

I understand the method to this problem...but curious as to why (14!/(5!x6!x3!)- 3!) won't work?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34643 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Avinashs87 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Mayanksharma85 wrote:

A. 15,624
B. 16,384
C. 6,144
D. 384
E. 240

Hope it's clear.

I understand the method to this problem...but curious as to why (14!/(5!x6!x3!)- 3!) won't work?

Hi
firstly, your formula 14!/(5!6!3!) is for ways in which 14 songs can be arranged where 5 songs of one type and 6 and 3 of other two type..
this is used say when I ask you different words you can form from 'PASSION', which will be 7!/2!..

why should you do this here? AND what does 3! stand for..

Rather it has to be other way " you should tell why this should work?"
May be then someone can find the error
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Hi, Bunuel

Sorry, I can not understand the concept at all. please as usual, give the concept first and then give the solution steps.
I always learn from your introduction which may include basics or advanced concepts to save time in test.
Many thanks for your help.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644335 [0]
Given Kudos: 86771
Send PM
Expert Reply
hatemnag wrote:
Hi, Bunuel

Sorry, I can not understand the concept at all. please as usual, give the concept first and then give the solution steps.
I always learn from your introduction which may include basics or advanced concepts to save time in test.
Many thanks for your help.

Let's consider in how many ways we can build an album with 5 Rock songs if the albums should contain at least one Rock song. Each of the 5 songs can either be included in the album or not. For example, song #1 can be in the album or can be excluded from the album. Thus each of the 5 songs has 2 options in the album/not in the album. 2*2*2*2*2 = 2^5 = 32 options in total. But those 32 combinations include one combination for which we counted all songs as not included, thus for the album to have at least 1 rock song we should subtract that combination, which gives us 32-1=31 albums with at least 1 rock song.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Ok. I got it. I see that this concept is not traditional so when I should know that the solution does not need the traditional formula of Combination or Permutation or such knowledge will be acquired by practice ?
Many thanks Bunuel for caring.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30869 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM