GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contai

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 37
Location: Canada
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q35 V31
GMAT 2: 600 Q39 V34
GPA: 2.7
There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 11:53
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:06) correct 33% (02:13) wrong based on 46 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contains 4 red and 6 green balls, second contains 3 red and 7 green balls. Andy picked 1 ball from the first bag and placed it in the second bag, then Mira picked a ball from the second bag. What is the probability that Mira picked a red ball?

A) 8/55
B) 17/55
C) 9/55
D) 1/3
E) 23/110

Spoiler: :: Working below
This was my work:

First bag P(Red) * second bag P(Red) = 4/10*4/11 = 16/110 = 8/55
First bag P(Green) * second bag P(Red) = 6/10*3/11 = 18/110 = 9/55

Answer = 8/55 + 9/55 = 17/55
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Affiliations: All Day Test Prep
Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 70
Location: United States (IL)
Schools: Booth '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q167 V167
GPA: 3.58
Re: There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 12:22
1
JourneyToTheTop wrote:
There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contains 4 red and 6 green balls, second contains 3 red and 7 green balls. Andy picked 1 ball from the first bag and placed it in the second bag, then Mira picked a ball from the second bag. What is the probability that Mira picked a red ball?

A) 8/55
B) 17/55
C) 9/55
D) 1/3
E) 23/110

Spoiler: :: Working below
This was my work:

First bag P(Red) * second bag P(Red) = 4/10*4/11 = 16/110 = 8/55
First bag P(Green) * second bag P(Red) = 6/10*3/11 = 18/110 = 9/55

Answer = 8/55 + 9/55 = 17/55



The probability of picking a red from second bag depends on whether or not a red or green is moved from the first bag. There is a 4/10 chance a red is picked from first bag and a 6/10 chance a green is picked.

If a red is picked from first bag there is a 4/11 chance of picking a red from second bag.

If a green is picked from first bag there is a 3/11 chance of picking a red from second bag

Therefore there is a 40% chance of having a 4/11 chance of picking a red OR there is a 60% chance of having a 3/11 chance of picking a red

(4/10)(4/11) + (6/10)(3/11) = (16/110) + (18/110) = 34/110 = 17/55

Answer: B
_________________

Adam Rosman, MD
University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Class of 2020
adam@alldaytestprep.com

Unlimited private GMAT Tutoring in Chicago for less than the cost a generic prep course. No tracking hours. No watching the clock.
https://www.alldaytestprep.com


Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 14 Jun 2018
Posts: 112
Re: There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 02:28
There are two possbilities :
1. Andy picks up a red ball and transfers it to the second bag.
2. Andy picks up a green ball and transfers it to the second bag.

Probability of Andy picking up a red ball and then Mira picking up a red ball = 4/10 * 4/11 (4/11 because Andy transfers the red ball to the second bag)

Probability of Andy picking up a green ball and then Mira picking up a red ball = 6/10 * 3/11 (Total ball increases but not the red ball because Andy transferred a green ball)

Probability = 4/10*4/11 + 6/10*3/11 = 34/110 = 17/55
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8386
Location: Pune, India
Re: There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contai  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 04:27
1
JourneyToTheTop wrote:
There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contains 4 red and 6 green balls, second contains 3 red and 7 green balls. Andy picked 1 ball from the first bag and placed it in the second bag, then Mira picked a ball from the second bag. What is the probability that Mira picked a red ball?

A) 8/55
B) 17/55
C) 9/55
D) 1/3
E) 23/110

Spoiler: :: Working below
This was my work:

First bag P(Red) * second bag P(Red) = 4/10*4/11 = 16/110 = 8/55
First bag P(Green) * second bag P(Red) = 6/10*3/11 = 18/110 = 9/55

Answer = 8/55 + 9/55 = 17/55


The question may look complicated but it is not.
There are two events that take place in sequence. The probability of the second event depends on the result of the first event.

We just need to consider the two results of the first event separately. It is like a partial binomial tree.

Attachment:
BT.jpeg
BT.jpeg [ 37.93 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]


Probability of picking a Red from second bag = (4/10)*(4/11) + (6/10)*(3/11) = 17/55
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contai &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 04:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There are two bags with red and green balls only, the first bag contai

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.