Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [42]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [8]
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4596 [5]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Re: To receive a driver license, sixteen year-olds at Culliver High School [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer C (I think)

(1) insufficient
(2) insufficient because it doesn't give details as to the total number of students

Combined,
w - % of 188 who passed the written test
p - % of 188 who passed the practical tests
0.3w -failed practical test
0.2p - failed written test
license holders = 0.7w=0.8w

first equation 0.3w +0.7w+0.2p =188 --> w+0.2p =188
second equation p+0.3w=188

2 variables with 2 equations, which means you can find the answer
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Re: To receive a driver license, sixteen year-olds at Culliver High School [#permalink]
Kudos
I am going to say E on this..cause while i know the number of 16-year olds..i dont know how many actually applied for the drivers license..this question as is written would be E..

anyone else have the same view as I?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
I am going to say E on this..cause while i know the number of 16-year olds..i dont know how many actually applied for the drivers license..this question as is written would be E..

anyone else have the same view as I?

The question stem says that all students must take the tests.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
chineseburned wrote:
To receive a driver license, sixteen year-olds at Culliver High School have to pass both a written and a practical driving test. Everyone has to take the tests, and no one failed both tests. If 30% of the 16 year-olds who passed the written test did not pass the practical, how many sixteen year-olds at Culliver High School received their driver license?

(1) There are 188 sixteen year-olds at Culliver High School.

(2) 20% of the sixteen year-olds who passed the practical test failed the written test.

Man this is hard..

p=% passed practical
w=% passed written..

(1-p)=.3W from the stem

1) 188 students insuff, (2) (1-w)=0.2p

P+(1-p)+w+(1-w)=188

p+.3W+w+0.2p=188

1.2p+1.3W=188

I dont get..how this can be C? i have 2 variables 1 equation..

can someone explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
I used a different approach and got C as the answer, but I'm not sure if my value answer holds true. Basically I got that 50% of the students involved in the tests got their driver's license.

This means that 188/2 = 94 students got their license instead of 112.
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 9.55 KiB | Viewed 18652 times ]

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
A+B+C=188

.3(a+b)=a

.2(b+c)=c

solve for B, which equals 112
Attachments

VENN.JPG
VENN.JPG [ 33.54 KiB | Viewed 18602 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [2]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Kudos
There are four outcomes. You can:
A) Pass Written and Pass Practical (which implies you get a license)
B) Pass Written and Fail Practical
C) Fail Written and Pass Practical
D) Fail Written and Fail Practical.

We are given that no one (0%) has failed both (outcome D) and that 30% Pass written, Fail practical (outcome B).
We need to find the number corresponding to outcome A (not the percentage!)

(1) There are 188 sixteen year-olds at Culliver High School.
Great, this tells you that 0 kids fall into outcome D and 57 kids fall into outcome B. But this doesn't tell you how many fall into outcome A. It tells you that the total number of kids in outcome A and outcome C is 188-57=131.

(2) 20% of the sixteen year-olds who passed the practical test failed the written test.
We now know that 20% are in outcome C. Since we know the % of kids in outcomes B, C, and D, we can figure out the % of kids in outcome A. There are 50% of kids in outcome A, since outcomes B+C+D = 50%. But, this still doesn't tell how many students are in outcome A, just the percentage.

Given both (1) and (2), we now know that 50% of 188 students (or 94 students) passed both the written and practical exam.

So the answer is C.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16602 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos