Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [4]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Send PM
Re: Too Old to gain Admittance? Chances, anyone? [#permalink]
Kudos
jaypalm wrote:
Littlefauss,

I'm an old guy (45!) applying for a PhD in MIS for 2005 admission. I applied to 6 schools ranking from about 15 to maybe 70 (if the rankings go that low), and I'm sweating out the results right now.

On this and similar boards, you will find a lot of pessimism about your chances (See the "age and a successful academic career thread, below). Talking with professors at my current school (which is a small regional school), however, I get a more encouraging outlook. I don't know what the real situation is, but I'll find out soon enough.

I have gotten an interview at a top 20 school, which is a hopeful sign. I'll try to remember to post on this board once all of the results are in.

I've been in contact since we shared posts with a fellow who entered UMass' PhD program in Biz in his early 50s. Has really been a nice guy, gave me a lot of great advice, and told me that it's by no means an insurmountable goal around our age. Of course, age is a factor as has been pointed out, and UMass isn't Harvard/Wharton/Stanford, but it isn't exactly a lower-rung program, either, they typically make USN's top 60 or 70 of B-schools. So it can be done at a good school. I don't know about a top-15 like you applied for, but I would guess you'll be considered at some; the rest up to you.

Also, one bit of I think very valuable insight he gave me. He said that you should get to know the profs in your program as well as you can, find one who is doing research in you pet area, get to know him or her. If you work well with them, meet them, they like you, he claims it greatly increases your chances--it's not strictly about GMATs and GPAs or even age, it's also about who they'd like to work with, whether they think you'd be someone they'd like to have as a research colleague for the next few years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
That is one of the best advices I have seen.

I agree with the idea that we haven't been able to develop ideas and info about many schools, that is a fair challenge. I have myself not seen many people posting about their experience, perhaps it is because this PhD forum is still in its infancy. As it grows and alumni return to the board to give advice, perhaps we can find better advice for a lot of schools. But being in a PhD program myself, let me say that there is nothing like a lower ranked school for a Phd. What is the criteria ? student numbers ? MBA rankings ? Papers published ? Well, it could depend a lot on research area and the individuals at the schools. A PhD program is a very high investment for a School, you need to schedule separate classes, faculty needs to get involved, and you need to forego tution as well as pay scholarships to students. Hence most PhD programs are quite good, mediocre programs do not survive - unlike MBA. Do not therefore worry about rankings, getting into a program suitable for you is what is most important. That is very un-MBA like.

Hope for the best for both of you, and best of luck !. And please do return to advise others who seek your views. There aren't many forums on the net where people can post questions about PhD programs and can be assured of genuine responses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
For anyone who cares or remembers me:

Three long years have gone by since I first posted this thread. A lot of things have happened. I never did apply for a PhD program.

However, after five years of adjuncting for beans, watching my bank account go from black to red, shooting out 100 vitaes, constant networking, attending an academic conference to present research when I was so strapped for cash I slept in the back of the car rather than in the hotel with the other attendees, my JD/MBA finally landed me a tenure track job in AACSB business academia at a fair-sized state university. I start this fall (08).

A position in academia at such a school is the primary reason I was interested in a PhD--really, the only reason. So things took care of themselves. I may one day advance my education and get a second doctorate--the real kind--but for now I'm just glad that I got where I dreamed.

Thanks to all for their advice, I hope all of you who were here 2 - 3 years ago got into PhD programs, perhaps we may meet in academia.

Best to you all.

LF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Littlefauss,

I'm an old guy (45!) applying for a PhD in MIS for 2005 admission. I applied to 6 schools ranking from about 15 to maybe 70 (if the rankings go that low), and I'm sweating out the results right now.

On this and similar boards, you will find a lot of pessimism about your chances (See the "age and a successful academic career thread, below). Talking with professors at my current school (which is a small regional school), however, I get a more encouraging outlook. I don't know what the real situation is, but I'll find out soon enough.

I have gotten an interview at a top 20 school, which is a hopeful sign. I'll try to remember to post on this board once all of the results are in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Littlefauss,

Best Wishes for your new life. And yes, I remember you very well.

Just to introduce myself to our young club members, some of us (including Praetorian) had a cute idea of starting a forum for PhD entrance. It is now so active and with tons of good advice.

I have now completed my PhD (in 4 years), and landed a tenure track job at a bigshot university.

To answer the core question of this thread, after completion - No, it is not too old anytime, but very difficult to get placements at some universities where recruiters are 10 years younger than you. But all in all, the original advice stays - if your heart is in it, go for it !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I finished a PhD in Finance two years ago from a descent Canadian university. I ended up in a teaching school for several reasons including a very bad year and not being from a top school. I’m seriously thinking of enrolling into a PhD program in Financial Accounting in a top US school. I always loved accounting, and a major part of my research overlaps with some of the hottest topic in financial accounting (actually I have published in CAR, one of top 5 accounting journal). My biggest problem is that I’m 38 years old and with virtually no practical experience in accounting!! I’m really worried that top schools will not take me seriously.
What are my chances considering that:
- I hold a PhD in Finance from a Canadian school (AACSB & EQUIS accreditation, # 1 MBA in Canada and # 1 MBA outside the US, etc…).
- I’m very research active: Over 15 journal publications, some of them in top ranked journals: Contemporary Accounting Research (now is a top FT 45), Journal of Business Ethics (a FT 45 journal), Financial Management (a top 10 finance journal), etc…
- I held the best and most lucrative scholarships offered by my former university and also by the Canadian governance. Now my research is funded by grants from the Canadian government.
- I was a visiting scholar at NYU, and visiting research at INSEAD.
- My ultimate goal is to become an accounting faculty in a top ranked BS school and to remain very research active (i.e. publication in top journals).
I’m very persistent and hard working person. However, I feel that my age can hamper my goal to get into a top ranked PhD program in the U.S. Am I right? Do you know of any top school that accepts “old” candidate? What should I work on to improve my chances?
Thanks a million.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [2]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
In accordance with Harvard University policy, Harvard Business School does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, veteran status, or handicap in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs and activities.

It's never too soon to consider a career in academia—nor too late. The profile of today's doctoral students in business administration reflects a diverse cross section of society—virtually all life stages, professional experiences, nationalities, and economic and ethnic backgrounds are represented. The existing range of schools and programs offers a wealth of possibilities for those interested in finding a program that will closely match their individual needs.

We hope this is helpful, and invite you to explore the opportunities at our school. If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We wish you the best in your endeavors.

Best regards,

HBS Doctoral Programs Office
Harvard Business School
Doctoral Programs
Boston, MA 02163
www.hbs.edu/doctoral
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jaypalm wrote:
Littlefauss,

Good to know I'm not the only venerable one on this forum. Funny, at my job and in my profession I don't feel old at all. Here I'm ancient, at the end of the line--it's all about context.

Yeah, the USN rankings of B-schools go down to 80, The Economist has world rankings to 100, BW's rankings go to 70 in a manner of speaking, though past 30, they just rank them in tiers.

I hope you gain admittance. Win one for the old guys!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
In my school there are two people >40 in second year. I am in my mid thirties. There is one guy one year junior to me in my batch ...

Age is an issue.. Anyone who says No is deluding oneself. After I got admitted, I talked to some profs who were in the admit committee. Faculty at my school were (perhaps unjustly) categoric in saying they would PREFER younger persons over more experienced.

That said, search for schools that do not have major bias against age. LBS, Wharton, Insead, MIT come to mind readily as more positive places. Columbia is so-so, Cornell is NO in big letters. Harvard and Stanford are the most negative. Duke is ambivalent. Rochester is fine with older people. Stern is not. ... You can go on. Look at websites, mail current PhD students. mail Profs. The replies will give you a sure shot idea of that school.

When you cross 30, your chances of admit to PhD program diminish - considerably. But it is what you want to do - your SOP in particular is very important - that determines admit. And yes, a big GMAT score helps to give a very positive sign. Best of luck ! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
anupag wrote:
Best of luck ! :-D

Thanks for the advice, my SOP will pretty much start and end with: "I want to make the move from tiny little college adjunct to bigger university professor." (although I fear finding the tenure track in that world at my age may be more difficult than making it into a PhD program, but first things first)

You mentioned some awfully good schools there, I suppose those might be beyond my reach unless I manage to blow the top off the GMAT--which, while I think I can do well, I was thinking 700+/- well. Want to hazard some wild guess as to what sort of GMAT given my various GPAs, my age, my experience, I might need to shoot for to have a shot at one of those prestigious schools you mention? 801? :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Littlefauss,

That's a great story about the 50+ guy; you're lucky you found him. I think his advice is good, too. In fact, it's pretty much what I did. My advisor helped me identify key players in the field (he knew some of them) and directed me towards papers that were relevant to my research interests. I think the best advice he gave me was to read as many journal articles as I could to get a good feel for what research is really about (since I have very little research experience).

The schools I targeted were constrained by location. I wanted something within about a five hour drive of home so I could visit family and friends periodically (I'm not married). That gave me a short list. I then eliminated all the schools that didn't seem like a good fit (not doing the kind of research I wanted to do, really young faculty, very high ranking, etc.). I wanted the best school I could reasonably get because the school "brand" is going to follow me around for the rest of my career, but I wasn't sure about my quals and, of course, the "age issue," so that's why I applied to such a wide range. It's worth noting that my priority is doing research, whereas it sounds like yours may be teaching. Rankings may not matter as much for you.

There really isn't a lot about the mid-to-lower ranked schools on this board or the others that I look at. I'm not sure why that is; maybe applicants to these schools rely more on personal contacts and networking. Although I think most of the stuff you see on here (thanks to anupag and co.) is applicable to lower ranked schools, the GMAT scores are quite intimidating. If you look at the accepted stats or posted ranges for some of the lower ranked schools, you'll find that they are a lot more reasonable. So don't get that mind-meld just yet! Besides, you're a JD with a good LSAT so if you have any math skill at all you'll do just fine.

Live long and prosper!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
you will be !! :band
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm not 40 yet but I'm getting there myself. :) I took GMAT on 2/15 and got 780. I'm applying to Univ of Rochester. Just mailed my application package out, hopefully it will reach them before the deadline (3/1). I've been updating my progress on the GMAT experience forum. If I hear anything I will definitely let you guys know. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Jaypalm

That was a wonderful post !! I think your experience will be of immense value for future applicants. The critical issues highlighted by you - demostrated motivation, fit with school and resonating recommenders - probably differ the most between a young and a not-so-young applicant.

As for your 'hard part', let me offer my persepective - it is actually much easier, except the maths. The first year may be the most difficult. For the most part, if you are quant jock, it is smooth sailing. If not, you will not be hassled. The positive side is , most older students know their research interests, what they want to do and therefore complete their dissertations faster than many of their younger colleagues !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks, Sameer. I've gotten a lot of good information from this forum. You're doing a great job with it. I wish I would have found this site sooner--I'm sure I would have done better on the GMAT! :lol:

I appreciate the insight about first year. I'ts kind of what I guessed. I have a (very old) math degree (mostly computer science), but I'm certainly not a "quant jock." Fortunately, I don't think IS research is particularly quantitative (at least in the behavioral area, which is where I think I'm headed). There will be a lot of stats, of course, which will be different from the coursework I've had recently, but once I knock the rust off I think I'll be OK. As for research, I had started to work on a paper in preparation for next year's admission process, and I'm thinking I might as well keep going. Who knows? It may be related to a future dissertation...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
jaypalm:

Congratulations on being accepted! :-D

You're an inspiration to us old timers.

Now, I'm just eaten up from head to foot with curiosity here: where were you accepted? I doubt it would hurt things at this point, you're already in. I'll likely eventually be able to figure it out when you get started, as opf course there are usually profiles for PhD students in Business Programs, and only so many fit the vague criteria you gave, but I'm just curious.

Answer if you will, I won't, of course, be upset if you decline.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
littlefauss,

I sent you a PM...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2