Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, I think there are two possible reasons why you are scoring lower each time. Well, 3 I guess if it's just purely random. But the two reasons would be that either stress/anxiety is getting the better of you (and of course it will be worse each time) or you are not studying effectively.

So, managing stress is definitely a big part of doing well on the exam. If you went in the first time with no expectations, then it probably wasn't an issue. If you put in a lot of effort studying for the re-take, the value of your time and effort may cause you to put additional pressure on yourself to do well. You can read some of the reports around here about how people have managed their stress. It definitely plays a big role.

The second potential problem is that you are not studying effectively. You say in your message that you are preparing for the exam, but as most of us here know, you need to make sure you are learning rather than just doing problems. So, some people like to use an error log to identify the problems that they miss; then they target their study towards that type of problem. Others have concluded that they need to improve their verbal or math foundations. You can't learn new material until you are 100% solid with the basics. Some people go back to high school math books and English grammar books to re-learn the basics. Once they have those cold, they can deal with the challenges of the GMAT.

So, make sure that you are studying effectively. Figure out what you don't understand and target those areas. Then, as you get closer to the exam, work out a set schedule so you can simulate the actual event and manage your stress.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanl you very much Pelihu. Looking from an objective point of view, i think you're right, maybe i do put to much stress on myslef. See, i really want to get a good score and continue my education, and lots of people are counting on me to do so, especially my family in Romania. Believe me it's not easy to tell them i failed....again. I haven't visited for over 2 years not because i don't to, or i don't have the money to do so, but because i didn't score well here.
Anyway, i will not bother you or others with my details, i will just say that i hope manhattan gmat course will help me learn the basics the right way, and point me towards a 600 score. I think you're aboslutely right, i do most of the problems using my common sense and intuition, rather than technique. I know it's not the way to go, but i just wanted a quick fix... and i know that's not how gmat works, you just can't get lucky.

Anyway, once again thank you for replying to my message, i will start from zero and learn the basics just like you said.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that Pelihu has made an excellent analysis based on what we know about u :)

To me, the first thing is to convince yourself that u will make it !... As u are already among us in the GMATClub, my intuition says me that, yes, u will indeed achieve it :)

Having said that, here my ideas:
> Make a strict study plan : this supposes that u know what are your weaknesses and so u must put your energy on them without avoiding to practice all kinds of parts/sub parts/types of GMAT questions during the way. Kind of : 5 days a week : 20 CR / 20 SC / 1 RC + 15 PS / 15 DS...
> Spend time on your mistakes : double or triple what u spend now by mistake done. Crack them till u know every single pieces of reasonning that made u wrong
> Do, once a week, a full GMAT test (AWA in front)
> For every question measure the time spent : Never pass 1min30 without knowing that u should guess or spend a little more efforts to crack the question
> Rebuild your self confidence : Put reasonnable goals and turn them to achievments. Reward yourself.
> Share on GMATClub : Response to others' questions, post yours... What u can explain to other is what u have understood.

Finally... Good Luck & Never give up !... All your efforts & dedication will pay off !... We are all able to testify it :D :)

Originally posted by Fig on 29 Oct 2007, 11:49.
Last edited by Fig on 29 Oct 2007, 13:32, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with Fig.

Also, I noticed that you only have 31 posts. If you want to take full advantage of gmatclub, get in the verbal and math sections and participate. It's a lot easier to learn to ride a bike by getting on it, not by watching others.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you guys so much.... i do feel more empowered reading what you all told me. I think i will get back into it, take the class and fight it until the end.
As a matter of fact, i will take a few weeks off, and by the end of Novmenber i will start the course. At this point money is not an issue anymore, i will make gmat my top priority again. And you're right again....my participation wasn't too good, but i promise i will change that. After all, we all grow together by helping each other out, we're not stepping on others to get ahead!

Thanks guys, now i know exactly what i have to do.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's the attitude!!! Just get in those forums and participate! Don't be afraid to ask questions and make mistakes. It's all a part of the learning process.

Also, DO NOT think the manhattan gmat course is some magic wand that you can wave and your score automatically goes up. It should be supplementary to your preparation.

Good luck and stay positive.

Originally posted by kidderek on 29 Oct 2007, 12:38.
Last edited by kidderek on 29 Oct 2007, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Derek. Honestly...i am not affraid of hard work, but somebody told me once that i shouldn't work hard, but smart, and i am hoping that the manhattan gmat course will point me to the right direction. Like Fig was saying, i need to learn the concepts before doing the problems.

I think you guys are very supportive, and it would be a shame not to achieve what i really set myself for. Besides 570-600 is not that hard to achieve, you all can testify that.

Thanks again and i'll see you in a little bit.

Mike
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 465 [0]
Send PM
Re: tremendously weird!! [#permalink]
Hello Mike,

It happens.. Do not give up, go on. Effort ALWAYS pays off!

To me it seems that the main reason for undesired score is the overall mood. Your psycological state of mind has bigger effect on your performance than you may expect.

Think positively, concentrate on positive side of events. Speak to people who make you happy, meet people who are positive overall, go to gym (this is the best relaxation technique) or watch movie...some good comedy :)

If i were you i would reread Fig`s post and make sure i follow the advices listed there. Reading Fig`s posts make me think of GMAT as an enjoyable experience :)
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: tremendously weird!! [#permalink]
IrinaOK wrote:
Hello Mike,

It happens.. Do not give up, go on. Effort ALWAYS pays off!

To me it seems that the main reason for undesired score is the overall mood. Your psycological state of mind has bigger effect on your performance than you may expect.

Think positively, concentrate on positive side of events. Speak to people who make you happy, meet people who are positive overall, or watch movie...some good comedy :)

If i were you i would reread Fig`s post and make sure i follow the advices listed there. Reading Fig`s posts make me think of GMAT as an enjoyable experience :)

Thanks for your kind words :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
:-D

You guys are great! With people like you, how can somebody not get a good if not a great score on gmat?

We'll do this.... together we'll get what we want!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts