Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 17:50 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 17:50
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [15]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9577 [4]
Given Kudos: 96
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: IIM
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9577 [3]
Given Kudos: 96
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Triumba birds reside in the polar regions and need to migrate to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Spgmat23 wrote:
Triumba birds migrate to warmer areas in winters because winter is not conducive for survival of birds (all species of birds, not just Triumba birds).
"It indicates that the author is talking about all species of birds, not just Triumba."

There's a word in the question that you've left out: "winters in the polar regions are not conducive to the survival of the birds." When the sentence uses the definite article "the", it means that "the birds" are the same birds mentioned earlier, the Triumba birds, and not birds in general. If you leave out the word "the", as you did, then you are correct about the meaning of the sentence. You also would never need to bring outside knowledge (e.g. knowledge of evolutionary theory) to a GMAT CR question.

That said, this question isn't using words correctly some of the time, so it's hard to guess what it means, and as I said in my previous post, it's not worth spending time on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Schools: ISB '25
Send PM
Re: Triumba birds reside in the polar regions and need to migrate to [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
homersimpsons wrote:
Triumba birds reside in the polar regions and need to migrate to warmer areas in winters since winters in the polar regions are not conducive to the survival of the birds. In recent years, because of some unanticipated genetic changes, the flying capability of the birds has been declining and is expected to continue do so in the future.

Which of the following statements is best supported by the passage above?

B)If Triumba birds don’t develop measures to counter adversarial genetic changes, they face a likelihood of extinction.
D)Unless Triumba birds develop an ability to live in the polar regions during winter, they will be extinct in some time.

I found this question kind of funny - the birds are affected by "unanticipated genetic changes". Unanticipated by whom? The birds? I can't guess what that word is doing there. Then answer B misuses "adversarial" (they mean "adverse", which means something very different).

There's no good answer here. It's not precisely clear to me what birds can do to "counter adversarial genetic changes" (the birds can't become genetic engineers). But even if we interpret B to mean "unless the birds find a way to compensate for their diminished flight", it's still not a great answer. It would be a better answer if D wasn't there, but then D would be a good answer if B wasn't there. Answer D suggests it's possible that the birds can adapt to polar winters. Answer B suggests that it's possible that the birds can "counter genetic changes". If both of those things are possible, then neither B nor D alone can possibly be a valid inference, because the birds still have a way to survive even if they can't do the thing mentioned in each answer choice. They're not valid inferences anyway, because we have no information about the extent to which the birds' flight is affected by the genetic changes. Maybe they're worse at flying, but are still perfectly capable of flying well enough to migrate in the winter.

So I don't think there's any reason to pay attention to this question. What is the source?

Found the question on EGMAT, still not really convinced by the answers..
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: VishvMitraa
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V31
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
homersimpsons wrote:
Triumba birds reside in the polar regions and need to migrate to warmer areas in winters since winters in the polar regions are not conducive to the survival of the birds. In recent years, because of some unanticipated genetic changes, the flying capability of the birds has been declining and is expected to continue do so in the future.

Which of the following statements is best supported by the passage above?

B)If Triumba birds don’t develop measures to counter adversarial genetic changes, they face a likelihood of extinction.
D)Unless Triumba birds develop an ability to live in the polar regions during winter, they will be extinct in some time.

I found this question kind of funny - the birds are affected by "unanticipated genetic changes". Unanticipated by whom? The birds? I can't guess what that word is doing there. Then answer B misuses "adversarial" (they mean "adverse", which means something very different).

There's no good answer here. It's not precisely clear to me what birds can do to "counter adversarial genetic changes" (the birds can't become genetic engineers). But even if we interpret B to mean "unless the birds find a way to compensate for their diminished flight", it's still not a great answer. It would be a better answer if D wasn't there, but then D would be a good answer if B wasn't there. Answer D suggests it's possible that the birds can adapt to polar winters. Answer B suggests that it's possible that the birds can "counter genetic changes". If both of those things are possible, then neither B nor D alone can possibly be a valid inference, because the birds still have a way to survive even if they can't do the thing mentioned in each answer choice. They're not valid inferences anyway, because we have no information about the extent to which the birds' flight is affected by the genetic changes. Maybe they're worse at flying, but are still perfectly capable of flying well enough to migrate in the winter.

So I don't think there's any reason to pay attention to this question. What is the source?

Just wanted to put my opinion about the answer choices.
I think that answer option B is a better choice than option D.
Option D presents a certainity as it uses the clause: 'They will be extinct in sometime'.
Whereas Option B presents a likelihood of extinction.

The arguments, in it's last sentence/conclusion, also presents a likelihood about the flying capability, so therefore we can infer option B from the argument.
IanStewart is my explanation plausible? Your insights would help me to improve my understanding about this inference passage.

Thank you.
If my reply was helpful, please leave a Kudos :thumbsup: :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM