Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Trouble with Reading Comp and GMAT Stategy/Outline [#permalink]
Kudos
gcantre3 wrote:
Currently, I am using the Kaplan Premier GMAT book, and I am still struggling on the Reading Comp section. I was hoping to find a book that shows in detail how to actually create a passage map.

Also, If anyone has any tips on preparation for the GMAT. I have been alternating between Quants and Verbal, and taking a practice exam once a week. I have a month and half before the GMAT test, I was wondering if anyone had advice how to be more strategic?

Hi gcantre3

For RC, I will highly encourage you to look at this post- https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41004.html . It will really help you improve and achieve a good accuracy in RC.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
gcantre3 wrote:
Currently, I am using the Kaplan Premier GMAT book, and I am still struggling on the Reading Comp section. I was hoping to find a book that shows in detail how to actually create a passage map.

There's a little bit of irony in what you wrote about "in detail" regarding a passage map. And I say that because one big point of a passage map is having a general idea of where to go when you do need to find the details, so passage maps should be pretty general. Details are only important if they as you about them! And with only 3-4 questions per passage there are only so many details they can ask you about, so most details in the passage won't end up mattering.

Here's what we recommend:

At the end of every paragraph, see if you can summarize in a few words "what was this about and why was it written?" (for example, "to introduce the old theory of immunology" or "to summarize the activities of early trading companies").

Within each paragraph, pause when you get to words that signal transitions ("however," "but," etc.), continuations ("furthermore," "also"), and conclusions ("therefore," "thus," etc.) and do the same as the above - for that portion of the paragraph, see if you can say what it was about and why it was written.

And then for both of those, write in quick shorthand (I aim for 3-5 words) a really brief summary of "what's it about / why it was written" and note any major transitions/conclusions you want to make sure you don't forget.

This should:

1) Help signal to you where you should go for details when you're asked about them

2) Guide your understanding of the primary purpose

3) Help you stay engaged and quickly realize if you've "checked out" (if you can't answer "what was it about / why was it written" then you need to reread that paragraph or portion up to the transition...you'll know well before you get to the end of the passage if you haven't focused, and that saves you time when you have to re-read and re-focus.
GMAT Club Bot