Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2233 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Rotman,LSB
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Re: Unlike the brown sparrow, the passenger pigeon (was [#permalink]
I think a more important factor is to understand what the sentence itself is trying to say. In my opinion, I can't really distinguish exactly what this sentence is conveying to us. Reason being:

1. Is it trying to indicate to us a sequence of events? That the passenger pigeon had been slaughtered, THEN became instinct? Because if the sentence's original meaning is to convey this specific sequence of events, the past perfect here would be the better choice because it indicated that the passenger pigeon FIRST got slaughtered, SECOND became instinct.

2. Or is the sentence trying to simply compare and contrast the mere difference of the extinction of passenger pigeon from that of the brown sparrow? If it's simply trying to tell us that the brown sparrow did not go extinct, but the passenger pigeon did, I believe simple past tense would fit perfectly well here...that the passenger pigeon was slaughtered and went extinct.

That's my take on this sentence; I'm not sure if my reason behind the ambiguity makes sense. If it were me taking the test and I encountered this question, I believe I'd choose simple past. The reason is, if the question were trying to point out a sequence of events, the question shouldn't even begin the sentence with "Unlike brown sparrow". The mere fact that this sentence began with "unlike brown sparrow" hints me that the original intent of this sentence is to make a simple comparison between brown sparrow and passenger pigeon. Since the main point is to compare the difference between the end result of brown sparrow and passenger pigeon, I'd go with just simple past - clear and direct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Sorry for the second post:

Sacmanitin, the best way to understand past perfect is to know that within ONE sentence completion question, there has to be TWO different events that happened in the past - remember that! And because you want to point out the very difference between these two past events, you'd want to use past perfect.

Without two different past events, you do not use past perfect, but rather you'd use just simple past.

The construct of past perfect is the usage of the verb tense "had". The event that happened first should have the verb "had", as indicated by gmatwarrior's excellent example.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2233 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thanks gmatwarrior and bakfed for your detail explanation,
i would like to share the oficial reasoning as well so that we all can atleast relate and correct and do some more brainstroming ,it says :The simple past is best here because the sentence describes an action in the past that has been completed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
simple past works fine here since it makes no sense to talk about becoming extinct BEFORE being slaughtered...

obviously "was slaughtered" happened before "becoming extinct" so we do not need to convey one happened before the other using "had + past participle"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 689 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Simple past --

Unlike the brown sparrow, the passenger pigeon was slaughtered indiscriminately and became extinct in 1914.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts