Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 07:19 It is currently 01 May 2024, 07:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 196
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4694 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8814 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Until Berta and Ernst Scharrer established the concept of neurosecreti [#permalink]
Until Berta and Ernst Scharrer established the concept of neurosecretion in 1928, scientists believed that either cells secreted hormones, which made them endocrine cells and thus part of the endocrine system, or conducted electrical impulses, in which case they were nerve cells and thus part of the nervous system.

a) either cells secreted hormones, which made them - Parallelism issue - Either X or Y -- no subject for conducted

b) either cells secreted hormones, making them - same as A

c) either cells secreted hormones and were - same as A

d) cells either secreted hormones, in which case they were - Parallelism

e) cells either secreted hormones, which made them - illogical - The hormones did not make the cells endocrine cells. The fact that the cells produced these hormones shows that the cells are endocrine cells ; parallelism is better in D

Answer D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: Until Berta and Ernst Scharrer established the concept of neurosecreti [#permalink]
Until Berta and Ernst Scharrer established the concept of neurosecretion in 1928, scientists believed that either cells secreted hormones, which made them endocrine cells and thus part of the endocrine system, or conducted electrical impulses, in which case they were nerve cells and thus part of the nervous system.

a) either cells secreted hormones, which made them

b) either cells secreted hormones, making them

c) either cells secreted hormones and were

d) cells either secreted hormones, in which case they were

e) cells either secreted hormones, which made them

* PARALLELISM ISSUE (2 THINGS)
1) [ME PARAPHRASING]: Either cells secreting hormones making them.
OR (needed b/c of "either" in first condition)
2) conducted electrical impulses, [in which case they were nerve cells and thus part of the nervous system]
> FIRST PART MUST MATCH THIS LANGUAGE!

* KEY: ELECTRICAL IMPULSES, IN WHICH --> MEANS THE ANSWER MUST BE "D".
> D = CORRECT B/C "SECRETED HORMONES, IN WHICH"

Kudos please if you find this helpful :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1324 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Until Berta and Ernst Scharrer established the concept of neurosecreti [#permalink]
tarek99 wrote:

Although I know when to use the construction of "either...or", however, this particular sentence confused me. Can anybody show me how to tackle this? thanks

Main Issues:

1) Idiom: Either X or Y
2) Parallelism: Notice non-underlined part: "conducted electrical impulses, in which case they were" for Parallelism

a) either cells secreted hormones, which made them - Wrong: 1) Idiom 2) Modifier 3) Parallelism

b) either cells secreted hormones, making them - Wrong: 1) Idiom 2) Parallelism

c) either cells secreted hormones and were - Wrong: 1) Idiom 2) Meaning

d) cells either secreted hormones, in which case they were - Correct

e) cells either secreted hormones, which made them - Wrong: 1) Modifier 2) Parallelism
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
ChrisLele wrote:
This has been discussed in another forum post, but before I address the pronoun issue, let me give a quick explanation.

Following rules of parallelism, cells either A or B, hence (D) or (E).

Next case of parallelism is 'in which case' - notice that the non-underlined part contains this phrase and to maintain parallelism the answer has to as well.

Now for the pronoun issue. 'They' is only ambiguous if it could reasonably refer to more than one plural subject. To say that scientists were nerve cells or endocrine cells is clearly absurd and thus not reasonable. Therefore, there is no ambiguity in the use of 'they.'

Hope that helps :)

either cells secreted hormones, which made them

In this case, isn't the use of 'which' wrong and modifying hormones ? No one seems to mention that in the explanation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
Until Berta and Ernst Scharrer established the concept of neurosecretion in 1928, scientists believed that either cells secreted hormones, which made them endocrine cells and thus part of the endocrine system or conducted electrical impulses, in which case they were nerve cells and thus part of the nervous system.

There are two issues here. 1. The parallelism of correlative conjunctions 'either … or' and 2. The parallelism of the relative clause after the word 'hormones'

AS per the first tenet, only D maintains the proper parallelism and hence is the correct choice. In the case of the second tenet, yet again D is the only choice that uses the 'in which' format parallelly for both the items.
However, there may be no reason to look for all the errors in a given choice in the hall, if one can be damn sure about the correlative conjunction parallelism alone in this case.

However, if parallelism were not an issue, then the reference of 'which' and the modification of 'making' would be major issues and the easiest way of dumping three choices to the good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
"in which case" is refering to the case in which cells secreted homones, but is it correct to use "which" to refer to a "situation" (sentence)? I thought that "which" could only refer to independent words.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Send PM
Greetings to you all ! I got the answer right by choosing option D but have a doubt nevertheless . In option D Isnt which referring to cell secreted hormone , the entire clause itself instead of just the secretion ? And if that is the case can which refer to a clause in accordance to grammar rules ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:

Although I know when to use the construction of "either...or", however, this particular sentence confused me. Can anybody show me how to tackle this? thanks

How is "them" in option D NOT modifying the word "hormones"?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts