Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619269 [32]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [12]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619269 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: V02-18 [#permalink]
"as compared to" and " as compared with " are both wrong gramatically.
correct grammar can be " Compared with/to " or " In comparison with/to "
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shivammahajan wrote:
"as compared to" and "as compared with " are both wrong gramatically.
correct grammar can be " Compared with/to" or "In comparison with/to "

As per Manhattan SC guide, "as compared to/with" is suspect. "Compared to/ with" is definitely right, and " when compared to/ with" is definitely wrong. It is better not to eliminate answers just because of use of "as compared..."; keep it as a last resort to eliminate, when you are unable to decide between two choices.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619269 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question has been revised and edited. Thank you sayantanc2k !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
V02-18 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Studies of performance reports show that, compared to those whose colleagues have English as their native language, managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language are markedly more effective.

A. to those whose colleagues have English as their native language, managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language are markedly more effective..
B. with those whose native language is English, managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language are markedly more effective.
C. to them whose colleagues’ native language is English, managers whose colleagues are not native English speakers are markedly effective.
D. with them whose colleagues are native English speakers, managers whose colleagues are not are markedly effective.
E. to those whose colleagues are native English speakers, managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language are markedly effective.

I'll try to write the post as I went about solving the question. I am no expert so please let me know if my analysis has any errors. -

2 Things that stood out to me while reading the original sentence.

i) Compared to vs Compared with : Both versions are correct. No need to spend time on this. Even if you do not know that both are correct, look for other eliminations. Avoid wasting time on idioms.
ii) Comparison is between colleagues. Not managers.

Quote:
A. to those whose colleagues have English as their native language, managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language are markedly more effective..

"those" is used properly.
Comparison is fine.

Nothing seemed explicitly wrong.

Kept Option (A)

Quote:
B. with those whose native language is English, managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language are markedly more effective.

Comparing colleagues to managers. Not grammatically wrong but logically incorrect.

Eliminated Option (B)

Quote:
C. to them whose colleagues’ native language is English, managers whose colleagues are not native English speakers are markedly effective.

"them" stood out to me because usually we use "those/that" to compare entities not pronouns such as them or their.

I think that is because "those" can refer to only the head noun while "them" refers to the head noun + modifiers. (Experts let me know if I am wrong)

Eliminated Option (C)

Quote:
D. with them whose colleagues are native English speakers, managers whose colleagues are not are markedly effective.

Similar usage of "them".

Eliminated Option (D)

Quote:
E. to those whose colleagues are native English speakers, managers whose colleagues speak English as a second language are markedly effective.

I read Option (E). Everything seemed okay. So I went back to Option (A).

Now re-reading Option (A) looking for differences, I notice the "have" English as their native language.

"are native English speakers" seems better than "have English as their native language"

Eliminated Option (A).

Answer is Option (E)

Something's I missed while going through the question -

i) The "compared" + "more" causes redundancy.

Totally missed this!

If we are using "compared" why do we really need another comparative form word or marker such as "more".

Looking back, this elimination was a much safer way to eliminate Option (A).

ii) The solution for Option (C) also indicated a meaning change.

Although I eliminated Option (C) immediately after seeing the "them", I did not catch the error during my analysis.

Makes sense.

If this were a critical reasoning question I would have asked myself "If those colleagues do not use English as their native language that does not imply that they will use English as their second language.

Take Aways -

i) We do not use “compared” + “more/comparative form” in the same sentence
“compared to X, Y is strong” ✅
“compared to X, Y is stronger” ❌

ii) "those" is used to compare entities not "them"

iii) Read each answer choice with a critical eye. But also make sure to eliminate definite errors. Find 1 and move on.

Thanks for reading!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Is there any rule on using markedly without a comparison marker (more or less)? To me, it sounded strange to say markedly effective, rather than markedly more effective.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools: Ross '24 (II)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Quote:
As per Manhattan SC guide, "as compared to/with" is suspect. "Compared to/ with" is definitely right, and " when compared to/ with" is definitely wrong. It is better not to eliminate answers just because of use of "as compared..."; keep it as a last resort to eliminate, when you are unable to decide between two choices.

sayantanc2k In reference to your reply, I wanted to clarify the usage of "when compared to/ with". Is this still considered wrong on the GMAT?
There is a GMAT official guide question that uses "when compared with" in the correct answer.
Q. id: SC02094
"November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks, but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers, accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales."
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts